Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default They DID Make us Leave the Ship:(

Well, today,Cheryl, her daughter Lynn, and myself, headed into Boston, on a muggy day. With Cheryl at the wheel, amd Lynn, doing the directing, we got to the Radisson, Seven Seas Navigator,with time to spare.The ship was late getting in, and since this was the first American port,they reached after a 56 day cruise, Customs was the word of the day.

Once aboard, we went directly, to the theater, quite smaller, than what I am used to...very tastefullly furnished,and then we were broken into, managable small groups, and, started our tour. For cruisers used to vast spaces, you may find yourself a bit claustraphobic, with low ceilings. This ship is atrium free, and especially in the center of the ship, near the pursers area etc, I found it, especially close..

This ship carries 490 passengers, is an all suite design, so the space raitio, should be wonderful.Also the crew to passenger, ratio, 2 to 1 would make for excellent service.

A small section of the buffet dining area, is set aside for the specialty restaurant, it was lovely, and there is no additional charge to dine here. And in the main dining room, a light, and area space, it's all open seating

The pool area, was just that..nothing spectacular. The pool was closed for service, so passengers staying onboard today, could not use it.

We had a lovely lunch in the main dining room, our host fom the agency, Gervasio, a lovely man, dined with us. I was brave, and tried the Chilean Sea Bass,and I must say it was delish. A consumme, and a nice desert and sweet tray, plus wine. rounded out out lunch.

Due to the fact this ship was filled to the brim, no staterooms, were available for viewing..DRAT ! I must say, that I am so used to larger ships, that I would probably not book this ship, but it was very elegantly appointed, and the service shown to us was wonderful. All in all, it was a wonderful day, touring a ship, and meeting a very nice Cruisemate, Cherl,and her lovely daughter,Lynn..I could do it all again tomorrow

Post Edited (08-09-05 18:36)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:17 PM
susancruzs

Default Re: They DID Make us Leave the Ship:(

Sounds wonderful, including the lunch! :-) Touring would be hard though as you do have to get off! :-)

Glad you were able to go, what a great way to spend the day!

Susie
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Trip,
Loved hearing the "inside" scoop on this luxury ship....I too am so used to these mega ships, I'm not sure I'd appreciate a smaller vessel even with the upgraded service...Loved hearing all about it, glad you were able to get onboard for a peek, although it would of been nice to see a stateroom, guess you'd have to book one :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:51 PM
DENISE H

glad you had a good time trip
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Janmd

I have been on the ship twice once to Bermuda and the other this past Christmas. The Bermuda trip was excellent. The Christmas trip was a 10 trip and it did get boring on board. Not enough activities to do. This is the smallest of the Radisson's ships now.

The cabins are huge. The food is excellent. Free sodas, during the day out of a can. And free wine with lunch and dinner. And a stocked mini-bar and no tipping. Service is excellent on the ship from the captains down. My only complaint is the activites on board are not up to what one should expect on a cruise ship. The cruise director just did not have his activities planned- I wanted to planned them for him. It is a holiday season- do a ton of activities.
I never ever felt closed in on that ship. We have been on the Mariner also from the Radisson fleet. And excellent ship also- and bigger.

You must remember this is a small cruise line- not a mega ship.
I am glad that you were on board. I have been on board in Europe when the TA's did the tours and had lunch. Sorry it was not a sunny day for you to sit upstairs by the pool and eat. That is great up there.

The last time I got off that ship my bill was only 70.00 mostly from the internet and shops on board. That was with free wine and sodas during the day. We took off a 2 bottles of liquor which was free for the cabin. For the italian resturant just make reservations ahead of time.

I hope you will be able to visit the Mariner- more picks for dinning. Still want to cruise on the Voyager with Capt. Dag.

I would recommend this ship for Bermuda but this is the last year it looks like it will be going there. Next year the Navigator will be in Europe.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Trip, I am sorry you didn't get to see any cabins; they are wonderful.

I also sailed the ship to Bermuda. It was a wonderful trip. It is a little smaller than Voyager and Mariner but still a wonderful size. Deck 6 is so conenient. The theater is not as nice as Voyager and Mariner but can sit all passengers so no two shows per night requirement. Same thing with the restaurant.

I am glad you enjoyed the Chilean Sea Bass; too bad they didn't have rack of lamb, my favorite.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This sounds like my kind of ship. Perhaps the low ceilings may be a bit daunting. It was the only negative I disliked with the Renaissance ships. (Oceania)

I do intend to give Radisson a try.

BTW: Arleen Martin Carlson, the matriarch of the Carlson family and wife of the founder of Radisson, Curt Carlson and mother of Radisson CEO, Marilyn Carlson Nelson passed away last week. She was a very interesting lady who basically came from nothing to help her husband establish his Carlson Companies empire.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with everything that Trip stated. We had a wonderful time. My daughter had never been on a cruise or a cruise ship before, so she delighted in everything she saw. She even survived the lunch. She is very, very picky eater. Trip was wonderful and asked the waiter about a chicken alternative. They obliged and brought my daughter grilled chicken with vegetables. She enjoyed it. The food as Trip stated was delicious. I also had the Sea Bass, which I had never had before. The waitstaff was very attentive, friendly and cheerful. I found the ship to be very beautiful but since I have only been on Carnival, I found it small and dark. I also missed a grand atrium and large open spaces.

It was wonderful to meet Trip who is delightful, friendly and upbeat Cruisemate. Thank you Trip for a wonderful day. Which ship is next????

Post Edited (08-09-05 21:27)
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I was wondering all day how it was going.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Admiral

sounds like a good time was had by all.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Hey trip! Come on down to Orlando. Maybe you can get us on a tour of a ship -- any ship-- at Port Canaveral. We'll be happy to put you up at our house if you can get us a free lunch! <BG>

Glad to read that you, Cheryl and her dd had such a nice (if Boston-gloomy) day on such a luxurious ship.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas