CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   OT Skins in Mashed Potatoes And On Fries (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/274076-ot-skins-mashed-potatoes-fries.html)

Paul B August 12th, 2005 01:58 PM

OT Skins in Mashed Potatoes And On Fries

It seems like more and more resturants are mashing potatoes with skin pieces mixed in them or are making fries with the skins on. Perhaps this is supposed to be trendy or healthy, however I believe the main reason is that it is flat cheaper not to peel the potatoes. .
I like my fries and mashed potatoes sans skins, but I still love old fashined baked potato skins.

Chuck Palm August 12th, 2005 02:09 PM

Re: OT Skins in Mashed Potatoes And On Fries

I like the skins because it is subtle proof that the mashed potatoes aren't canned or processed. Skins on fries also give the impression the food is fresh rather than from "Sysco."

Mike M August 12th, 2005 02:11 PM

Paul,
The majority of nutrients are in the skins and it's far healthier for you to eat the potato skins.

Isn't that nice. <VBG>

I'm with you. I want my mashed potatoes without skins. I really dislike "smashed" potatoes. Most of the time they are lazily cleaned, poorly cooked and the skins are boiled to the cosistency of well.........skin. I have quit ordering them. It's also a lot less labor intensive.

If I want this I will order tiny whole or red potatoes and do it myself.

I also love the skin of a well baked potato. I always wonder how well it was washed but unless you can see dirt or taste grit you have to have faith.

Take care,
Mike

Mike M August 12th, 2005 02:14 PM

Chuck:

Old restaurant trick. Take half real mashed or smashed potatoes and half mix. Customer still thinks their getting the real thing and you use less product. Tastes better than full instant or powdered but it still isn't very good.

Take care,
Mike

Trip August 12th, 2005 02:32 PM

I came from a house, where my Mom made potatoes every night, and for a little woman,she ate a mountain....all without skins....I was over a friends house one day, and she asked me to get her a CAN of potatoes for her from the cabinet..I was flabergasted! How, and why, would potatoes be in a can! It just amazed me!

CruiseAholic August 12th, 2005 02:57 PM

I love skins on mashed taters! add some cream cheese and blue cheese and it's perfection

Phyllbo August 12th, 2005 06:24 PM

Now you're talking, CA. YUM!!!!!

Phyll

Mgram August 12th, 2005 07:26 PM

I love them with and without skins.......as the mood strikes.

And Phyll......He makes the BEST!!! The blue cheese is the secret!

Thomas August 12th, 2005 07:39 PM

What are you all talking about????? Skins play in Washington I think!

Regards,
Thomas (who won't let on to our secrets)

CruisinK&J August 12th, 2005 11:01 PM

What skins?

Judy

Cruznut2 August 13th, 2005 04:32 AM

I have not eaten a potato in a very long time. I used to mash them with skins, cream and sharp cheese and garlic. As for french fries I used to just like them without the skins.

Laura

Post Edited (08-13-05 06:18)

KimJack August 13th, 2005 01:22 PM

If I want skins, I'll order a baked potato. Or I'll order stuffed skins. But in with the mashed? I think not, nutritious or not. And as for my fries, I take them with malt vinegar and salt every time. Ooh-ahh! None of that ketchup for moi.

Jack