Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Admiral

Default Gas prices

I'm curious what gas prices are around the country. Our's jumped 10 cents yesterday...from $2.45 to $2.55 for the lowest grade.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Gas prices

I paid $2.39.9 at Sam's Club yesterday, but it riding around town here in Bradenton, FL, I saw it for $2.49 - $2.59.

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have seen prices around Boston as high as 2.69..oy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Oh Boy. Most stations are at 2.79!! Regular unleaded!! Costco was at 2.59 yesterday. We have some right off the eway that are selling premium at 3.09. Crazy!!!!!

This is for the northern suburbs of Detroit, Michigan!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Admiral

On Friday night the price here in Hot Springs jumped 22 cents from 2.33-2.55 and that my friends...IS ridic a lic a lic ilous...

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

We jumped from $2.59 to $2.69 in a matter of a few hours yesterday. I live in central Wisconsin. (Coloma). It's horriable, I wish I would have bought a house closer to work!

Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Admiral

We hit a record high yesterday in Montreal, $1.14 litre, which is ridiculous. (sorry, I don't know what that is in gallons - except EXPENSIVE!)

donna

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Admiral

RD, if my calculations are correct, it is about $4.32/gal.

Here in upstate NY, I paid $2.569/gal unleaded regular.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:04 AM
VTJen

Northern Vermont - $2.53
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Admiral

I filled up yesterday morning at 2.69 for regular gas. By evening the prices at that station were up to 2.79 and at others up to 2.85. Ugh!
30 miles west of Milwaukee, WI.

Phyll

Post Edited (08-16-05 08:40)
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Yeoman

Birmingham, Al
Yesterday was 2.45
Today is 2.55
It feels like " Dorothy in the Tornado " in the Wizard of Oz
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Admiral

$2.47 this morning, but that will probably change by noontime. its basically price gouging.
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Last week anything you could find in the $2.59 range was good, now anywhere below $2.70 is good. Station at the top of the hill in my office complex is now at $2.78 per gallon for regular. This is for Northern suburbs of NYC.
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Regular gas at the station we normally frequent (Tamarac, FL) was at $2.64 when we drove by at 9:00 a.m. today. I'll bet when I go out again after lunch, it will be even higher. Seems like that is what is happening almost every day.
Cindy

Old August 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Delores

Sacramento, CA - $2.65 & up. An email I received said to boycot "name brands" like Shell, Texaco, Mobil & Chevron as they import all their oil. The smaller companies to not. I don't know how true this is.
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:27 PM
hydro-terp

A large/significant portion of the gasoline that is sold in the US travels to its final destination via communal pipelines operated, managed, and maintained by other independent non-oil companies. It goes in the pipeline where there are major refineries like Houston and comes out near high population centers were it is then stored in tank fields in terminals owned by the companies. It is then trucked to the gas station from there after getting the magic additive to “put a tiger in your tank”. Which means gas is gas is gas. Shell (or insert any other brand name) puts a gallon into the pipe today in Houston and is allowed to draw it out the other end basically simultaneously. It takes like a week for it to travel in real time. I work in a peripheral field of business and we do some work for some pipeline people.

The only conceivable reason to boycott any particular company, or companies, is perhaps who they purchase their oil from.

http://www.araboilboycott.com/sites/...p?pg=L10&col=1

http://www.builditez.com/sites/arabo...sp?pg=T4&col=1

One of the basic problems with what’s going on today is that there hasn’t been a new refinery built in the US in a very long time. Of coarse no one wants one in his or her backyard. Demand has increased and they have been running at +100% to try and keep up. On little mishap and the whole thing gets boogered up. They had a fire at a Sunoco refinery outside Philly and some trouble somewhere else recently and that’s pinched things. The special blend that various cities and states mandate by law now also exasperates things because if they have a problem at a plant that makes gas for say Chicago they may not be able to go to another source to replace it if something happens. This happened a year or two ago if you can remember. There is a refinery right outside Chicago and they could not sell the gas there because it wasn’t blended for Chicago.

BTW Modern Marvels done a super interesting show on this a couple years ago. Keep an eye out for it on the History Channel and set your VCR/TiVo.
Old August 16th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Gas prices

Does not matter where the crude comes from, the price is set by contracts at the Mercantile in N.Y. and Brent crude pricing in London. As far as distillates (gas, diesel fuel, jet fuel, home heating oil etc.) go, it is supply and demand. As posted above there has not been a refinery built in the U.S. since the mid 70s. In Canada we ship approx. 1.6 million barrels per day of crude and half a million barrels of refined products PER DAY to the U.S. We are your largest suppliers. I could go on and scare the hell out of you on what is coming but I won't, suffice to say get used to the high prices because $30.00 per barrel oil is gone forever. Demand is overtaking supply and once the Rubicon has been crossed, all bets are off. Did anyone happen to note the last quarter profit reports of the big oil companies, particularily U.S. companies? All time records, easy money when you don't change your profit margin and pass along ALL of your raw materials (crude) cost increases. Wonder how many other businesses can do that and stay healthy. :-)
Old August 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Admiral

This is nuts! Thursday evening it was $2.28, Friday it was $2.39, Sat i jumped to $2.49 and Monday it was $2.55. This afternoon it was up to $2.69! $.40 in five days! I know darn well they have not had a delivery of fuel at that gas station in the last week as it comes on Thursdays so why is the same gas they had for $2.28 suddenly worth $2.69? The people have got to tell them stop, enough is enough and just not buy it for anything but absolute necessary travel for a month, cut electricity and everything that relates to the use of petro products.
Jim

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Passenger

Hey TBUG...I must be right around the block from you...I saw it for $2.79 yesterday morning when I was on my morning errands with my Mom...3 hours later is was back down to 2.59..then this morning back up again...something is rotten in demark....I do know that with these prices those long drives on sunday to the country to pick up vegatables with my kids are gone thats for sure...
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Yeoman

In the 80's (early) crude oil was around $40/bbl and we were paying less than $1.00 gallon for gasoline. When crude dropped to $12 and $15/bbl in early 2000's we were paying appx. $1.30/gal. When crude hit $40 again gas hit $2.00. Sounds to me like the profit is in the refineries. When the price of crude drops it does not impact price of gasoline, but when crude rises gasoline skyrockets. Anyone care to explain this phenom>?

Lesley
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM
hydro-terp

RN the price of gas is directly based on supply and demand. They make more stuff then just gasoline out of crude. Everything from oil to lube your car and tar to blacktop the road you drive on to high grade jet fuel and propane and everything in between. If they make more of one component and less of another the price of the lessor increases if demand stays the same. Would you rather have cheaper gas in your car today or people freezing to death because they cant heat their home this coming winter?

Really what is needed is to increase domestic refining capacity by building new refineries, use more nuclear power to generate electricty instead of fossil fuels so that they can be used primarily for transportation fuels, and more domestic petroleum exploration. Until this happens we're going to have to dig deep into our pockets for a long time. At some point the people will say enough is enough build that refinery and drill that damn well Im tired of spending half my weekly budget on gasoline. These things are always messy places but there is nothing that cant be cleaned up or mitigated literally if you spend the money.

They are trying to build the first refinery in the last 30+ years in the desert near the Kali / Nevada / Arizona border and the Environmental lobby is fighting them tooth and nail.

If they cant build one in the middle of the God forsaken desert where can they possibley build one?
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Ick. I have to put premium in my car. Yesterday I paid $2.73.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Emptynesters

corn country here - we do get a "break" on the ethanol. It went up 10 cents from yesterday is now $2.59/gal here in town & in the city. We drive 95-100 round trip ea day w/gas guzzlers but didn't feel so bad when they have been paying about 4.00/gal in Canada & Europe is over $6.00/gal - now they are on the rise.
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Passenger

The only thing I see or hear more of than daily gasoline price hikes are the excuses for them. Okay so we don't have enough refining capacity, why don't the oil companies invest some of their skyrocketing profits into building a few. The Chinese are becoming large consumers of oil, okay did we just figure that out 2 weeks ago? The best one, when gasoline prices are adjusted for inflation, they were actually more in the late 70s. Well, when I was much younger, gas cost about .27 a gallon and a hershey bar not much less. Today, the hershey bar costs about .40 and gas is $2.70 in MD., $3.10 in Chicago. Seems like chocolate is a sweeter deal.

We need to let our politicians know how we feel. Send them email and letters. Action, not words will send the message. Cut back on consumption any way you can. Boycott a company or just don't drive at all one day.

When the high prices we are paying begin taking a toll on everything which they will in short order, someone will wake up. You can't spend $60.00 to fill your tank and then buy movie tickets, a new pair of shoes or go out to eat as often as before. It will all catch up, inflation, higher prices, less spending, job cuts........

OH HAPPY DAY!
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM
hydro-terp

Default Re: Re: Gas prices

<<<The only thing I see or hear more of than daily gasoline price hikes are the excuses for them. Okay so we don't have enough refining capacity, why don't the oil companies invest some of their skyrocketing profits into building a few. >>>

Talk to the environmental lobby. They are the major antagonist.

No one wants on in their backyard yet it has to come from somewhere.