Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Not on The Top Ten List?

On my "Stay on or Get "off post, there were many people who felt that Nassau is not a popular port.I have heard this for years now. Quite honestly i don't know why.. The town has cleaned itself up from years ago. There is a world class resort, a short ride away, with a wonderful aquarium. The shopping goes on for miles. There is a straw market, for those interested in crafts, which other islands don't have...what seems to be the objection to Nassau..I have visited ports,while interesting to be sure, are dirtier, the people are not as accomodating, etc, so I ask...wassup?

On the flipside of the coin..what makes your favorite island, your favorite island??

Post Edited (08-19-05 07:21)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Not on The Top Ten List?

I am with you Trip..I thought Nassau, while poor as most, was still interesting and not a bad stop..Freeport is another thing now.

Old August 19th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Oh, I don't feel Nassau is a bad port - just one I've been to enough over the past couple of years!

We LOVED St. Maarten and want to return one day.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:21 AM
David Starkey

Poverty just off the main streets is an issue here. My personal view is that the waters around the island and beaches are nice.
The Atlantis resort is a nice destination too, but St Maartin is a more interesting port of call.(Dutch side)
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Admiral

I don't think Nassau is too bad... we discovered a shore excursion, Blue Lagoon, that we would love to do again and again.

I think the problem is that SO many cruises stop there that after a while you feel like you've "been there, done that" and there is no need to get off.

On the flipside, my favorite island, St. Thomas, is my favorite just because it has such a beautiful, exotic flavor to it. I can't put into words exactly why I love it... but I do!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 19th, 2005, 09:20 AM
DENISE H

going to nassau next fall looking forward to see what it looks like i have enjoy most of the ports we been to san jaun is the only one we didn't get to see any thing because
we get ther at 5.oo pm
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Admiral

I think with Nassau it is initial impression that is the problem. Once one clears the now very nice and new terminal area , the first thing you encounter is the horse and buggy reides. The aroma is not at all pleasant or inviting and can be quite over powering on a warm day. Once you head to the new straw market area it is hot , congested and overwhelming with Chinese made Bahamian Souvenirs. The immediate downtown streets are hot and congested with thousands of cruise passengers
Unfortunately most folks don't go beyond this. Most think their only alternative is the expense of going to Atlantis on Paradise Island. The Island of New Prvidence can be so much more. The locals are friendly outgoing people. There is good golf, great beaches (like Cable Beach) good snorkelling, historic sights, activities like parasailing and waveruners, paid underwater attractions and much much more.

My favorate ports are the ones where we feel safe to explore and or "beach it" on our own. Grams would of course include some shopping. As a result I very much favor Bermuda, Aruba, Barbados, Tortola, andf St. Thomas.
I also like places steeped in history . Some of the above are included, but in addition,
Panama(coast to coast) and Cartegena ( dangerous place but 500 years of history).
Lastly destinations with granduer. Panama Canal, ports in Alaska come to mind.
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Admiral

I like to go to the Iguana Lounge/Restaurant in Nassau which is in one of those alleyway shopping areas and upstairs. We sit outside and drink some cold brews, have some munchies and watch the people on the streets. This is also just upstairs of the cigar shop where I stock up on Cubans.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM
sailing gal

I have a warm spot in my heart for Dominica. Its refrehingly different than some of the others that kind of blend together in my mind. I like the tour that goes into the mountains to the waterfalls. What else is there but nature?
I sent out a package of toys, books and childrens clothes to a man who rents cabins there(Gem). The people have plenty to eat and enough to buy some clothes but not much money for anything else. I have good toys that the Salvation Army doesn't want.
I found out that Dutchess County in NY has a partnership with Dominica(Patners of the Americas started by Kennedy,I think) The Mayor in Poughkeepsie NY (part of the county) made many visits with her husband and they brought computers from business's like IBM. Also, there is an exchange student program. Unfortunately, the Mayors husband perished in the world trade tower. I think it was his efforts that kept the program so alive. Someone new took over the program and has enlivened it. Recently a much needed fire engine was sent to Dominica. The funds were raised through bake sales, pancake breakfasts, etc.
Anyway, it wasn't much but it felt really good to send out that box. of chlidrens items. Gem gave it to an official at the school who handed the itens out. I have one wating here at home thats about filled up. I better get shipping.
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:45 PM
susancruzs

I am so Caribbean weary I've never really had a favorite! The number of ships in port, the logistics, number of people in town, at the beaches, etc., makes it just too crowded.

I do enjoy getting on a catamaran and sailing somewhere to snorkel. I enjoyed Old San Juan, the fort, I actually walked back to the dock from there (quite a hike) but very interesting.

Actually the history of any place I visit interests me, I like visiting churches, little museums, etc. I just don't go for the crowds!

Susie
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I agree that Nassau is really not a bad port at all, if you get away from the immediate area of the port. We always enjoy going over to Paradise Island, and the Atlantis, and wandering about the island on motorcycles. (Really got to be careful expecially because the drive on the opposite side of the road from what we are accustomed!)

On the other hand, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the entire island of Jamica. Over the years it has gotten worse to the point that I noticed that they built a fence around a small shopping area at the port of Ocho Rios so that you can leave the ship, and a few dollars without being attacked by hustlers, and drug dealers. It's really a shame too, because it really is a beautiful island.

See you aboard,
Ken
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

We really enjoyed our unexptected stop in Nassau last December, the girls 14 and 16 loved the aquarium!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03