Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Default Insurance,final pmt. & air booked

Well, final payment has been made and I just finished booking my bargain airfare. I got some inexpensive travel insurance from insure my trip (Travelex)
When we had booked these cruises 8 months ago, we intended to drive the 2600 miles round trip to and from the port. However, with time constraints, and rising gas prices it just didn't make sense. Not to mention the fact that anyone who drives that sort of distance with a 3 and a 5 year old needs to have their head examined lol! We survived the trip from Indiana to New Orleans and Panama City, but I think anything beyond that is really pushing it.
I got round trip tickets for $123 each from Southwest, so at that price we'll be money ahead.after considering food, hotels, mileage and gas etc...
There's no turning back now! We're really going!
Beenie Weenie

Eastern Caribbean RCI Enchantment of the Seas

Western Caribbean Carnival Liberty
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Insurance,final pmt. & air booked

So glad to hear you came to your "senses" (2600 miles??? Not to mention with young children on board??? You'd NEED a vacation after that!!)

Hope you have a GREAT time!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Congratulations! Now, next up is the doc dance!

Old August 21st, 2005, 07:18 AM
Admiral

I want to know where you got your airfare so cheap.

Old August 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
susancruzs

Congrats on everything falling in place and coming to your senses about that drive! :-)

Sounds like a great plan and you'll have a more relaxed vacation knowing you don't have to face the 1,300 mile drive home!

My nephew has 5 kids, 8 & under (3 adopted), and every time they load up the van and drive even 300/400 miles, it is a MJAJOR ordeal!!!

Enjoy!

Susie
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Big John,
Southwest, we're flying from Indianapolis to Orlando. It is their Netsaver fare. It took a lot of searching to find it, I checked leaving out of Chicago and St. Louis, flying into Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach and all different dates and this was the best deal I could find. I also found some very attractive fares through ATA, Air Tran, Northwest, Delta and American. However they were all leaving out of O'Hare, Midway or St. Louis and involved changing planes at least once sometimes two or three times. I am just so leary of booking a flight with so many these airlines on the brink of bankruptcy or strike.
Southwest seems to be on pretty solid ground.
Another thing I found was that sites like travelworm had great prices but wanted to charge an obscene amount in service fees for booking your reservation ($80 for our four tickets)
I was thrilled to find this deal since they are both non-stop flights and we'll be leaving from INDY which is just an hour from home and since we're flying into Orlando rather than Ft. Lauderdale it allows us to spend two days in Orlando and I get to fulfil a promise to my son to take him to the Magic Kingdom (also fulfilling my own dream, as I've never been to Disney at my ripe old age of 41) We'll then rent a car one way to drive to Ft. Lauderale, we'll drop it off at the airport and then take a cab to the pier and begin our sea going adventure.
Fortunately, my kids are good little road trippers (we do a lot of road trips, especially since we frequently visit the inlaws in Canada, and we like to go, go, go) and we would have been OK, but you are all so right! This is going to be lots and lots of fun!
My 5 year old is so excited about flying on a plane he can't see straight. He flew with us to Cancun when he was a little over a year old, but of course he doesn't remember a thing lol.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

great news all around! great deal on the airfare.