CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Italian breakfast (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/274240-italian-breakfast.html)

sailing gal August 21st, 2005 10:47 AM

Italian breakfast

Hi,
Does anyone know what it means when a hotel in Italy advertises Italian breakfast? What do those Italians eat? Frittata's?
Karen

CZodda August 21st, 2005 10:52 AM

Re: Italian breakfast

Italians generally don't eat a large American style breakfast - it's often just some Italian bread with Nutella (a delicious Hazel Nut spread) and a cup of coffee. Maybe a little fruit.

Very light morning meals. Hope this helps.

Cathy

sailing gal August 21st, 2005 11:03 AM

Thanks! That helps. The spread sounds good.
Karen

venice August 21st, 2005 12:13 PM

cZodda is right on target and yes the spread is good..be careful, because they often charge you per slice or in my experience per crossiant..breakfast is not a big meal in Europe so adjust accordingly

susancruzs August 21st, 2005 04:02 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Colosseum in Rome for 3 nights last fall and every morning in the lobby area, there was juice, rolls, some sort of jam, very strong coffee, their version of breakfast cereal, more like granola to us.

It was fine, first day we were a little surprised but realizing this needed to hold us over until lunch, we were fine! It was included in the cost of the room.

Susie

sue August 21st, 2005 04:19 PM

Re: Re: Italian breakfast

You can buy Nutella in this country .As a matter of fact we have it in the kitchen now. However it is not made in Germany and does taste different.WE noticed right away and looking forward to the real thing when we go back for a visit in December.
Also, you might get a 5 min egg with your breakfast.

Emptynesters August 21st, 2005 11:27 PM

Wouldn't an italian breakfast be a breakfast eaten in Italy? JK. We have Nutella also, it is kind of a nutty/chocolatey flavor. In fact, I had to go look in the fridge & see where it was made since the discussion came up. It says made in the USA by Ferrero (that sounds italian) & it has cocoa in it. There is a website even nutellaUSA.com. So I wonder if it is different when made elsewhere. hmm never thought about it.

sailing gal August 22nd, 2005 06:11 AM

<g>Emptynesters, thats the response I got when I emailed the hotel. I asked them what an Italian breakfast is. This is how they answered the email. "You will be served an Italian breakfast." Thats when I decided to ask CMers. And being charged per slice, well, that could be a problem with the all you can eat bread we are used to. I'll have to buy some of that Nutella tomorrow.
Thanks, Everyone

Emptynesters August 22nd, 2005 12:09 PM

Darn those Italians for the same answer I gave - I thought I was being clever!