Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Katerina

Default Visas & Vaccinations

It seems that HAL is now requiring passengers to have visas to certain countries whether you get off the ship or not. ie. Russia, China, Indonesia, Australia. We were told that we would not be allowed on the ship unless we had the required visas. Their reasoning is that if a person got sick and had to go ashore for treatment they would need a visa.

Also re: vaccinations - we are going to Ecuador and Peru, neither of which require yellow fever vaccination, yet HAL says that we must have them. We spent a month in Peru and there was no mention of yellow fever shots. We had them but most did not. We can't get them again due to age restrictions so we have to go to the doctor and pay to get a statement that we can't have the shots. More red tape.

Do the other cruise lines require these things too?
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Visas & Vaccinations

Go to this link from CDC:

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/u...?section=YBAll

For Ecuador, the requirements are:

For all travelers >9 months of age who are traveling to areas east of the Andes Mountains (see map), NOT including the cities of Quito and Guayaquil, or the Galápagos Islands.

And the recommendation is:

Risk in all areas at altitudes <1,500m (<4,921ft). No risk in the cities of Guayaquil and Quito, the central highland tourist areas, and the Galápagos Islands.

In both Ecuador and Peru, it said no need if not going east of the Andes.

As for VISA, makes sense. Besides, why would you go to Russia and China and not want to go ashore? I don't know about Indonesia requirements. Oz, I thought you usually got with plane ticket. If you are not flying in or out, your TA should be able to get that VISA.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Katerina

Default Re: Visas & Vaccinations

Why not go ashore in Russia and China? Because we have travelled extensively in both countries and were going to give them a miss and save our energy for other countries that we have not seen. Also, I can see making passengers have the yellow fever shot if the country requires it but I can't see forcing them to have the shot if they do not plan to go into risky areas.

My question was "do other cruise lines make their passengers have visas for all countries whether getting off or not, and have vaccinations that are not required"

Thank you for the info - I had researched both countries for requirements and risky areas but didn't come across that site.