Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Default Should doctors tell the thruth

I was watching CNN tonite and Soladad O'Brien was interviewing a doctor from New Hampshire who is being sued by a patient for telling her all the problems that she will encounter by being obese. She is about 5' 7'' and weighs about 250 lbs.

The good doctor, among many things, told her that since her husband, who is also obese, would statiscally die some 12 - 15 years before her. Her obesity would greatly reduce her chance of finding another mate . Again, statiscally, men die before women and the pool of available men is much less than women. Obese women would be less enticing.

The doctor told her all about how she would, statiscally, die a horrible death and that her last 10 years would be anything but, enjoyable.

Apparently, the patient was quite offended and suing the doctor for offending her.

A short poll was conducted and it was unanimously in favour of the doctor.

Should the doctor tell the whole naked truth and nothing but the truth as he/she sees it?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Should doctors tell the thruth

I am a nurse and have only been one for a short time (about 3 years) so maybe my view is not a valued as others but here is mine.
My biggest intrest as I went through school was Hospice care, and as a new nurse in a actue care setting I did see death alot. The floor was working on had started a program called Pallative Care- which is just was it was. Symptomatic care for the dying person including helping the patient deal with the upcoming death that basically no medical treatment could prevent.
From this I learned and have a very strong belief that the first step in learning to cope is knowing what you have to cope with. Honestly and in the case of a dying patient that is in denial you have to be brutely honest.
So yes doctors should be totally honest and detailed. They should know excatly what is going to happen whether it means the dying patient so fear can be eliminated or the patient that can still prevent disease.
Gaylen

Old August 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Doctors are not God. Only he knows if there is someone else out there. I think the doctor went way out of the call of duty. my military doctor, said that if I had my son Cercumsied, he would grow up hating me, and doing drugs. I also had a doctor give me a breast exam, while he was treating me for an ear infection, in an ER. Doctors are human, and they make bad judgements, and sometimes do bad things. Telling the future, in the case of the doctor you are refering to, is not part of their training. I do disagree with sueing over something like this. Now when he recomends her having her head removed, to loose weight, then she should sue the bastard.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

There were lots of comments on the Today show about his bedside manner. As we all know - tact can go far in dealing with the most sensitive issues. Since I didn't hear exactly what the doctor said, when he said it, how he said it and his body language I can't say he was 'tactless' but I doubt if this was 'news' to the woman. That makes me wonder what "triggered" her to sue the doctor for telling her what she sees in the mirror everyday. Maybe she was in "denial" and the doctor needed to "snap" her back to realityy and then again maybe the doctor wasn't sensitive and said something tactless.

IF the doctor sees a health problem he had better say it! IF he didn't say anything and the woman suffered serious health complications, would she then sue the doctor because he NOT tell her she was obese? Probably.

The doctor is the bad guy no matter what he would chose to do, but I think it is best to tell the paitent the truth.

Old August 24th, 2005, 07:53 PM
TampaFLGal

sorry for the spelling errors...tried to edit but it wouldn't let me
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Well I think they should tell the truth. I think the real issue was perhaps his manners. He could have explained it better, not so cruel like.

Always the truth.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Did he tell her the TRUTH???? Or did he speculate?

We get these comments on these boards all the time............i.e. "this cruiseline sucks because they don't treat the customers well"............when the one commenting is posting about a specific incident. The doctor should tell her what the statistics reveal but not speculate on what will happen to her.

Mrs. Thomas speculates all the time when she tells me I'm the best man in the world. She can't possibly know that since she hasn't met every man in the world.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:15 PM
salem5050

My husband and I had a run in with a doctor that falsified records on a exam he gave my husband. Short story is I reported him to medical board....and the board is made up of all doctors....hmmm guess who won! Yeah you are right the doctor...and he lied thru his teeth...this scares me!

Mary Margaret
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:17 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

ABSOLUTELY - that is what a Doctor is there fore to give his/her professional opinion on a patient's health and future health. Wha tis the point in seeing one otherwise - to be lied too for god sake!

Sorry, but the American culture of suing for anything is quite ridiculous and it was only reported over here the other day of how many Doctor's are refusing to even deliver babies now in the US for fear of being sued - totally insane.

Everybody is fully aware when they go into Hospital for any surgery, however minor, that you sign a declaration giving your permission. Nothing is guaranteed 100% in this life, we all know that.

Doctors have to work very hard to gain their professional status and we all owe them alot and do depend on them. Waht would this woman do in 10 years time if she started suffering from major health problems - sue the Doctors then because she wasn't warned 10 years earlier - sorry it would seem in your country, that the Doctors just cannot win adn no wonder they are giving up.

God help us we don't become like that over here..............

KG
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM
debp

He handled it very poorly. I am sure the woman knows that she is obese. I am sure the woman knows she will have problems. Only an idiot would think otherwise. He should have offered his help instead of being patronizing and chasing her away from help. Now, it is unlikely the woman will seek the help she needs from the medical profession. Bottom line, he did not treat her with respect.

She should not sue him however, she should just leave his practice as it is not working for her.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:12 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I saw the doctor on the news this am..Ive had a lot of doctors thru the years.Some just didnt have a good bed side manner,but were excellent doctors.Id rather have a caring doctor that knew his stuff over one that told me the things I ONLY wanted to hear.

My brother just died from a massive heart attack.He threw the pills the doctor had given him in the garbage saying he didnt "need" them.My brother was thin,and no cholestrol problem,but his blood pressure had gone up.

Doctors spend a lot of years learning how to take care of us.I bet they spend very little of those hours learning how to talk to us...

I know there are bad doctors out there,but with some ppl it just might take a rude bedside manner to shock them into making a change!

WIshing everyone good health!
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Should doctors tell the thruth

It does sound bad that this doctor basically told her that she is going to die miserably and alone if she doesn't change. Straight to the point and more than likely she will tho- but it takes tact to tell people that in a non offensive way.
I think that is sad that so many people have taking what bad things have happened to them with doctors and let it effect their opnion about every medical care professional. The best thing is to find a doctor that you trust and respect and listens to you, but relize that that isn't the same thing as always telling you what you want to hear. Nobody wants to hear that they have health problems of that they need to work hard and spend spend money to fix those problems- me for example

Old August 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Admiral

I think the doctor should have told her the truth about how her weight would affect her health, period. Mine tells me everytime I see him! This seems to change every year. My Great-Grandmother would have been considered very obese today. She lived to be 96 years old and was only sick the last 2 weeks of her life.

But as far as telling this woman she would die miserably and alone, is he psychic? Why would he assume that she'd want to remarry if her husband died in 12-15 years? Does he think women "must" have a man to be happy?

I've never gone to a singles website, as I'm very happily married, but a friend who is considered "overweight" has. She says that there are MANY men looking for "chubby" women, if someone does want to remarry.

I don't think it's anything to sue over, but it sure is a case of "terrible bedside manner".

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Fern,
I am with you. When I heard what this creep said -- my thoughts were sexist pig, assuming all women must have a man, or should want another one after a long happy marriage. I don't think he should be sued -- it will get thrown out, no economic damages, not aggregious enough for intentional infliction of distress, blah, blah, blah (unless there is something we don't know and we have only heard HIS side).

My husband is a doc, and after I told him "the rest of the story" (he'd only heard that he told his patient she was obese) he said -- "the, expletive deleted!( double word,begins with an "a" ).

I think what gripes me the most is this constant harangue about weight without an examination of why -- yes, it is complicated, but everyone knows of antecdotal evidence of friends who are heavy, exercise, and eat like birds, or friends who can only be thin with gastric bypass and 3 -- 1/2 cups of food a day -- tell me that is normal! Thyroid meds are the second most common prescription -- what is taking out our thyroids? The same thing which caused thyroid cancer in the MidWest? (50's fall-out from Nevada) What are the growth hormones in the meat/milk doing? Making us bigger? And the hormone impacting pollution from factories, not that we have many factories any more? Look at our gene pool -- we are not small Asians -- not in our genes. Are we as a nation fatter -- yes, but are you discounting for the boomers, the big population bubble, being in their 50's, and we all know what comes with age and menopause -- declining metabolism.

My mother weighed 95 lbs all her life -- she died at 65. My motherinlaw was always heafty, having birthed 14 children, and she is 83.
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Passenger

What I hate about these reports & lawsuits is how much of the story is left out. We will never really know, that is for the courts to decide. Too bad however that it seems to always come to court in these type of issues. However, being a nurse for almost 17 years I have worked in MD offices & in the hospital & have seen it all. No docs are not gods, far from it. But I have seen so many docs want to bang their heads against the wall because they have patients that just expect to have miracles perform while they just sit there. With the gastric bypasses, diet pills, etc--you see those walk in & want a quick fix but won't exercises or even try a sensible eating plan. This isn't limited to eating. The smoker, the person with high blood pressure: pile on the salt, lite up another, it goes on & on until sometimes the docs & nurses get fed up, you can only do so much. This reminds me of one time a man kept getting admitted for bleeding ulcers & progressive liver & brain deteriroation & blood ETOH were sky hi. A neuro was called in one day & he gave it to him straight. Told him he couldn't do anything for him, he can't live off of the government & drink himself silly. Well, at that particular instance, I had to applaude the doc for telling him. This is all IMHO.

Deb