CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Held to ransom - have to get a bike! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/274325-held-ransom-have-get-bike.html)

kimmiegirl August 26th, 2005 09:08 AM

Held to ransom - have to get a bike!

Well fellow CM's, it has finally happened.

In the UK now in certain areas in the South, we are now being charged a scandalous 1 STERLING PER LITRE OF PETROL (gasoline)!!!!!!!

At the conversion rate in the U.S. of 4 litres to your 1 gallon - that equates to 4 sterling per gallon of fuel which at today's current currency conversion rates equals a staggering U.S.$7.2 per GALLON.

Now try and tell me that your fuel prices are high - WOW, it is totally ridiculous but what can you do if you need to use your car??? Basically we are being held to ransom by these oil companies as they know in the end people will pay.

What would you do guys do if and when it reaches that price?

KG

bigjohn461 August 26th, 2005 09:56 AM

Re: Held to ransom - have to get a bike!

Start a revoulutionary war..and take our country back.>serious Grin>

PapaBill August 26th, 2005 10:01 AM

Gram would have to get another job so I could afford gas to visit the Grandchildren.

Katerina August 26th, 2005 12:03 PM

Thanks KG for the info - it puts our gas prices in perspective - went up to $1.10 a litre here in BC this week. Our govt takes 40% of the cost in taxes and even has a tax on a tax but won't budge and reduce those taxes. The news reports that they make 34 million for every cent increase in gas prices so it is little wonder they won't do anything about it. Wouldn't be so bad if they put those taxes back into the roads and highways but they don't - well, about 5%.

You have it so much worse than we do - my sympathies. At least you have a great transit system - but I suppose the cost of riding it is also going up. We have one bus a day in our area and must walk a mile to get to it.

Lombard August 27th, 2005 06:22 AM

Re: Re: Held to ransom - have to get a bike!

Just worked out what it is over here.

US $4=31c a gallon.

Thomas August 27th, 2005 08:41 AM

Unfortunately gasonline (oil) is a finite resource and as it is depleted the price is going to continue to increase. Americans are TERRIBLE at conserving this resource. And we have plenty of it within our borders.

What is the old axiom? Necessity is the mother of invention! You bet and when gas prices continue to rise we will see alternate means of transportation being invented. There are already fuels available which are made from soybean and corn stalks. Imagine that, farmers who have been put out of business can now grow crops again for a growth market. And the resources necessary for their growth, rain and sun, are free! Now we have to wait on engine manufacturers to mass produce engines capable of running on this fuel.

In the meantime, ride the bus, ride a bike, carpool, shop more and drive less, downsize your vehicle, conserve.

Regards,
Thomas

Dorothy August 27th, 2005 03:57 PM

I think I would spend considerable more time at home! My friends and I are starting to do carpools. We all end up at the same places most of the time, carting our kids about, so we are taking turns driving.

Moped maybe? Not great for shopping, but....

Unbelievable.....

dorothy

DalTX August 27th, 2005 07:04 PM

If Katrina doesnt turn around and head back to Fla,our gas is going up again!! (Sorry all you Floridians! I know you dont want her either)