Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Default Katrina & New Orleans

New Orleans Cruisemates please take care and leave twon until Katrina blows over. I guess the best bet is to head for Texas over the weekend and come back later in the week. Hope you are all safe and prayers go out to you. It is going to be a bad one so DO NOT stay there!
Jim

Old August 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Default Re: Katrina & New Orleans

Hi
Many of us dodged it again here in Central Florida, but we are getting feeder bands of rain and will probably see some remnants from Katrina until Wednesday at least. With that being said, the point is that the storm is growing in size so it is very dangerous for many of you. Please seek a safe place if you can!!! We are all thinking about you up there and hope for your well-being! Take care. Lynne

Old August 27th, 2005, 07:58 PM
susancruzs

Please be safe everyone, the size of this one doesn't look good, so all take care, and be smart and be safe!

Susie
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Passenger

Like Suzie said - be smart & be safe. Better to go to a safe place & be wrong - then you have nothing to lose. Everything to lose if you stay & it gets worse.

Old August 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
DENISE H

i have couple quesion to ask and ther going to sound stupid but here goes whats
it like to be in hurricane and what is the driffernce between a tornaro and a hurricane
here in mpls we get tornato and there no fun you are in my prayers
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

It HAS gotten worse so LEAVE if you are in her path! The differance between a tornado and a hurricane is wind speed and size. Most tornados are classified as F-1 or F-2 which has speeds up to I believe 130 MPH and they go up to well over 200 MPH for the massive F-5's. Still, a tornado lasts mor basically less than a minute or two and usually in a fairly narrow area and rarely can be a mile wide. A hurricane produces a storm surge and flooding which is actually the most dangerous part up to 500 miles wide and winds are as you can see for Katrina steady at 160MPH with gusts almost 200MPH and it is roughly 300 miles wide and will last for over a day! Hurricane are without a doubt natures most dangerous and deadly product. I have been though many of them and I can tell you that you do not want to mess with them.
Jim

Old August 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Admiral

We get tornado's in Arkansas, too. They are very scary, but they are usually over in a short time.

The effects from hurricanes can last for days! As Jim said, high winds and flooding are the most dangerous parts of a hurricane.

Unfortunately, if Hurricane Katrina does what has been predicted, New Orleans will be pretty much wiped out! The whole city is below sea level. It's in a "bowl" so any water that comes into the city will stay there.

I've been watching the news about the hurricane and they are predicting at least a 30 foot "wall" of water. That's about 2 1/2 stories high on a building!

It's very scary, and I hope eveyone has left! From what I can tell, the only people left are news reporters, and even they are moving inland.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Prayers for those in her path. Get out if you can, and if you can't, seek shelter and stay safe.
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Katrina & New Orleans

Good explanation of difference between tornadoes and hurricanes. What about the difference between hurricanes and typhoons?

May/03 CCL Fantasy
Jan/04 CCL Ecstasy
Dec/04 NCL Norwegian Star
Dec/05 CCL Legend
May/06 CCL Paradise
Jan/07 CCL Liberty