Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Is the world going to help now?

With all the devastation reaped by hurricane Katrina I now have to wonder if "the world" is going to send money, manpower, equiptment, etc. to assist and aid the victims of this disaster? Or because it's the "rich ole USA" are they going to leave you alone to deal with your problems?

When disaster strikes anywhere in the world the USA and its people are expected to rush in and help. Wondering if "the world" is going to make that a two way street?

Old August 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Is the world going to help now?

Excellent point Kuki, and also very sad because we all know it's not true. The world will leave the US to help itself as always. I know I would love to be able to do something to help, but I doubt there will be disaster relief funds set up at our Canadian banks to help with this as there is with every worldwide disaster. "The world" should be ashamed if it doesn't pitch in to help our neighbours who are always there for us.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Thanks Kuki..even though I,WE,ME, were not affected, I plan on doing something if nothing more than sending money to a general fund or through the Red Cross. But you are so right. I am thankful that we live in a country that really rallies around her own.
Thanks again Friend across the border.

Old August 30th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Admiral

I'm not holding my breath until the "World" heads our way to help. It's just not going to happen, and we all know it. On the other hand, I saw the power trucks all headed North out of Florida to help!
Ken
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM
booboo4031

If it's going to be anyone, I would think it would be Tony Blair and the British.

Back in 1973, a Canadian , Gordon Sinclair, wrote a speech called the Americans and it was widely played on the radio backed with America the Beautiful. and I think it says exactly what Kuki is talking about.

Philly radio talk online has it on their website with the credits. I think it says it all. Here's the link.

http://www.phillytalkradioonline.com...html#Americans

Diane

Old August 30th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Probably NOT.........however, we can usually count on our friends in Canada......after all, we do share this continent!

Old August 30th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Admiral

not holding my breath on this one. The Red Cross has left from our area to go south, as has some power company trucks, we even have a local towing company sending down two wreckers to help pull cars out of the water.
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

There was an incredible picture in the paper this morning of a man and a woman, helping a man with one leg. The man leaned on the couple, as they fled the rising waters... The United States was the couple helping... the man with the one leg was the rest of the world.

God bless England *& Canada, they are there when we need them....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:16 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: Is the world going to help now?

I believe that the Brits will help out. We always do either through newly formed individual distaster funds or via the Red Cross, Oxfam etc.

We are always donating here for world disasters, especially those which happen as ' an act of god', i.e. weather related.

The disaster is being well reported over here and many people are talking about it with so many brits going to Florida for holidays and also so many brits actually owning properties out there themselves.

I realise that it was the states of Lousiana and the Mississipi etc that got the brunt of it far worse than Florida, but british people do care and thank god that we do not suffer from such freakish weather anything like the U.S. seems to do.

I really feel for the people that have had to leave their homes in New Orleans and do not know what they may be going back to.

Having said that, has anybody heard from VENICE cos I am sure he lives in New Orleans but haven't seen any posts from him.

My thoughts and heartfelt wishes go out to all involved and I hope there will not be so much destruction any more this season ( even though I do realise we are not even into September yet so many months left to go for 2005).

Is it global warnming I wonder - these hurricanes do seem to be becoming worse each year.

REgards,
KG
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kuki,
Thanks for the post. I agree and only think that a couple of countries, Canada, Great Britain would offer assistance.

Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Excellent Post Kuki.
This is our Tsunami. I hope and pray for a quick recovery for all that have been affected.
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:21 AM
First Mate

Just mentioned that to my husband. We travel all over, many places in the US never been. I said when NO is on it's feet, we should go for a long weekend and get their tourist going again! So true, but sad here in the USA.

RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Good question Kuki. One never knows, but maybe this time it will be different. One can hope.

Carnival Glory
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Passenger

booboo....I love that piece your talking about in your post...they played it alot here in michigan after sept 11...I remember hearing it as a girl in the back of my fathers car and it gave me goosebumps...and now when I hear it...it makes more sense to me...and now it reduces me to tears...
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Not going to happen in a significant way in this lifetime. Hasn't happened before, why would this one be any different?
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Good points..I do agree...

But lets post on the special and heroic stories that will come out of this. Prehaps we will be wrong and get more help then we thought. Not that our press would cover it any other way anyways....

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Admiral

If one holds their breath over this they will probably die. We have some great allies in Canada, (well most of it anyways <G>), Great Britian, Austrailia, and New Zealand but the rest of the world seems to glory whenever we have a disaster.
Jim

Old August 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Admiral

I must admit that, here in South Florida, we have an abundance of international help. Cuba and Haiti have sent thousands of people…

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Yeoman

Excellent post Kuki and thank you for your sentiments.
We here in Alabama also suffered through this storm. We have the largest system wide distruction to our power grid in our history. I heard this morning where Alabama Power Company said as bad as our systems is, that virtually 100% of Mississippi is without power. Our Power woes are a drop in the bucket compared to Louisiana and Mississippi. It is unimaginable what they have come through and yet to face.
Driving into work this morning I saw Power Company trucks from New York coming down the interstate and for a moment it was that surge or pride we all felt as we came through 911. It was one of those too few moments when you see and feel the country united...
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Admiral

It will be interesting to see who else helps out, that is for sure.

I also wonder about another thing.....how many of the celebrities, who ran all over the world to participate in tsunami relief concerts, etc will do something?

I'm glad New Orleans was spared a bit, as it is such a great place to visit....I was "FORCED" to go to Mardi Gras in 2004.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Easy Goer

Rich countries help POOR countries when a disaster strikes, not other rich countries. Just as with people, the rich can take care of themselves. Poor countries, of course, are not able to help.

As a reality check and example of what I am talking about, consider the news item below. Japan, like the United States, has the means to rebuild after a disaster and foriegn aid is not expected. For those of you wondering if the world is going to help - did you send money to Japan last fall?

TOKYO, Oct 22 (AFP) - The death toll from Japan's worst typhoon in a quarter century rose to 75 Friday with 15 people still missing, as the devastation forced the government to consider emergency funds and new safety measures.

Typhoon Tokage, which ripped through Japan on Wednesday, also injured 294 people, police said. More than 21,000 houses were flooded and 382 homes were destroyed or damaged under the force of hundreds of landslides.

Japan has suffered one trillion yen (9.3 billion dollars) in damage from the storm season in which a record 10 typhoons hit the country, the government said.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Admiral

ROFLMBO at Jason that's just not right..lol

Old August 30th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Author: Easy Goer (edsiaah01.eds.net)
Date: 08-30-05 13:38

Rich countries help POOR countries when a disaster strikes, not other rich countries. Just as with people, the rich can take care of themselves. Poor countries, of course, are not able to help

Many of the people caught by this hurricane didn't have the financial ability to evacuate. And many of those who did, won't have the financial ability to rebuild and recover.

The problem is in the "world's view" everyone in America is rich. The country is actually in a huge amount of debt themselves, yet they continue to forgive the debts of "have not" countries around the world, and supporting countries around the world in disasterous situations...even though, at times, it's to the detriment of their own citizens.

Support also does not always only translate to dollars and cents. Sometimes sending men, machinery and expertise (though there are costs related) is just as effective as sending money... as at least a show of support.

Not a dissimilar situation as the death or illness of a friend. You aren't really able to do much to actually help or change things, but you still pay a visit or condolence call out of respect, and it's usually greatly appreciated.

Old August 30th, 2005, 06:01 PM
lorieann

very well put yous is as good as mine hmmmmmmm!
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Admiral

The Red Cross - Canadian - says we can designate our donations to go specifically to help out with the aftermath of Katrina - hopefully the money will get to where it will do the most good!

Now back to CNN

ttfn Jennifer
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Admiral

I will always remember, during the Quebec Ice Storm in Jan. 98, driving around aimlessly in my car, with my kids, trying to find someplace with power, that was warm, and had food, and seeing a caravan of utility trucks from N.Y. and V.T. driving through the city. What a welcome sight they were, giving us hope that they would help to fix our power problems.
(We were without power for 8 days, in -25 temps., for some people, it was longer).
I am grateful to the U.S. for their help then, and I will try to return the favour by donating to the Red Cross for hurricane relief.

donna

Old August 30th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Donna> Hydro Quebec did send line crews to the Carolinas during a recent hurricane a few years back. I suppose we will do the same if required this time, although NOLA is quite a distance. It is the very least we can to to return a huge favour.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008