CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   People wanting to sit alone... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/274391-people-wanting-sit-alone.html)

JeanS August 30th, 2005 08:18 AM

People wanting to sit alone...

We just returned from an RCCL cruise and were walking in the dining room for dinner. We saw a nice table near the window, but were told by the waiter that the two people sitting there wanted to be alone. They were an older couple, and I guess I was just surprised that people would cruise and not want to meet new people. I mean, to me, that is one big draw of cruising, to meet new friends!

We ended up sitting at a table with (believe it or not!) the mother in law of one of my co-workers! (Yes, it is a small world!) and a newlywed couple who we plan to keep in touch with, even went to Disneyland with them the day we returned!

I just think it's a shame that people deny themselves the opportunity to meet others from all over the world, but that's just my never-to-be humble opinion.....

LisaK August 30th, 2005 08:43 AM

Re: People wanting to sit alone...

to each his own.

Mike M August 30th, 2005 09:41 AM

Jean,

I completely understand this. Not everyone enjoys dining with a large group of people. You rarely go to a four star restaurant and expect to be seated with six other people. There's nothing wrong with people not wanting to be social at dinner. I know the number of tables for two is far less than the demand.

Many people go on a cruise for a romantic time with each other and want that time. My wife and I have taken a couple of these cruises and had a table for two and enjoyed it. Those cruises were our time together and we greatly enjoyed it. After 22 years we haven't ran out of things to talk about.

Take care,
Mike

Denise H August 30th, 2005 10:41 AM

i like siting with alot of poeple its fun geting to meet new people i meet the nice
lady from new york on our last cruise we still keep in touch

mara August 30th, 2005 11:04 AM

Maybe they just didn;t want to have to make insignificant small talk with strangers.
However, were they at a large table or a table for 2?

Ron August 30th, 2005 12:00 PM

My wife and I both had jobs wherein we had to deal with the general public and their problems day in and day out. Sometimes it was a pleasure to just be by ourselves and relax a bit.. Maybe the folks you refer to were just wanting some quite time by themselves so they could wind down a bit.

Cruisin K and J August 30th, 2005 12:07 PM

I enjoy a table for two. We've had some dinner companions that got obnoxious, and I swore we'd never eat at a big table again. That being said, I hope to dine with my fellow CM's, however! LOL

Judy

Sunlover August 30th, 2005 12:20 PM

Maybe they had a bad experience. Luckily we have had all good experiences. Except the last cruise, the people only showed up one night. Felt dumb at a large table and only us! Maybe they were on a secret rendevous??? Never know!

MichelleP August 30th, 2005 12:44 PM

I agree with Mike. Mark and I like tables for two. We go on vacation to be with each other, not strangers. I don't find it at all sad that I would rather spend a meal talking to my best friend than enduring interminable small talk about "what do you do" or "so is this your first cruise."

Cheers,
Michelle P.

jeleja August 30th, 2005 12:59 PM

My son and I have cruised 2 times. Both times we lucked out by having wonderful and interesting table mates. We enjoy meeting new people and learning about their adventures, cities they live in etc.

However, if I was cruising with my sweetheart (which I hope to do soon), now THATS another story. I really think we would prefer an intimate table for 2.

convert August 30th, 2005 01:23 PM

Its very simple. People make decisions based upon what THEY want to do and it's not always the same as what YOU want to do. Hello?

ousoonerfanintexas August 30th, 2005 02:17 PM

They were an older couple, and I guess I was just surprised that people would cruise and not want to meet new people.

On our cruise we had a table for two but it was our anniversary.

Abigail August 30th, 2005 06:20 PM

On our ten day cruise sometimes we sat with others, sometimes alone..each has its own positive aspects.