Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Default NO being flooded

Latest nes is that there are at least three breeches in the dike holding back Lake Ponchitrain (sp) and that is flooding NO at this time. Pumps are working but not keeping up with the water and the extent of flooding cannot be predicted right now. NO is beeing evacuated as best as they can again.
Jim

Old August 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: NO being flooded

New Orleans is in terrible shape, CNN is doing a great job of reporting, but the local - I live in Baton Rouge - The local news is broadcasting live video. The destruction is unbelievable. I have been through several hurricanes, inculding Betsy of 1965 and
Camille 1969. This one is the worst by far. Please everyone just pray for the people of New Orleans, Biloxi and so many more, it will be weeks before they can even get a look at what if any thing is left of their homes. So many lives have been lost, and people are still stranded.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Just started watching the coverage on the tv again. It's unbelievable. The Coast Guard is doing an incredible job of rescuing people off of their roofs. It's hard to take in that this terrible situation is just getting worse. My heart and prayers go out to all those involved.

Phyll

Old August 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Admiral

We are surely praying for all you people down that way..the pics we are getting here in arkansas are just horrible. Mass destruction and it is still flooding. My heart goes out to all affected.

Old August 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

80% of New Orleans is flooded and there is now a huge fire in downtown NO.......

Old August 30th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Admiral

And another levee has failed or maybe a pump, not sure. They expect that this will cause the flood waters to rise another 9 feet from where they are at now. Horrible.
Jim

Old August 31st, 2005, 09:45 AM
MagnoliaBlossom

Cajungirl, I'm in Alexandria and the local news via talk radio is so much worse than what is being shown on cable news. And that's pretty difficult to imagine. I was raised in New Orleans and it breaks my heart to see the suffering there.

Today's update is that the 17th St. canal levee is still leaking although the flow of water has slowed somewhat.

Preparations are being made to move many of the superdome refugees to the AstroDome in Houston.

I've been working a local shelter here and we're opening every large building in the area - lots of closed grocery stores and the old WalMart and Lowes (they built bigger stores and the old ones are empty). The horror of it all is that these poor lost people will be in some of these shelters for months, not just days. Try to imagine the sense of personal loss. Our school board is setting up some temporary schools for children so they will not lose too much school. Not being an educator, I don't know how that would work but I salute our usually incompetant school board for doing this. Of course, our new superintendent is a General in the Nat'l Guard, so he's coordinating rescue efforts in New Orleans right now.

Gas here is low, most stations have run out of regular and one of my customers called this morning to tell our staff to come fill up because their afternoon shipment will be 40 cents/gal more.