Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:24 PM
BoosterMom

Default Gas Scare in Georgia

Just got back from Post Office, Bank and Curves...............long lines at all the gas stations. Heard that rumor was going around that gas stations in parts of Georgia were closing at 4:00 p.m. and that gas was going to be rationed. Several large companies closed allowing their employees to go get gas. Children weren't being picked up from school due to parents and day care vans in gas lines.............I don't remember the gas lines in the 70's, but this was scary. We know gas will go up. Still think someone started a rumor but I'd be interested if this happened anywhere else today.
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Gas Scare in Georgia

We just hit 3.49 for reg unleaded. Expected to be at 4.00 by this weekend. Here in Michigan, It's getting crazy!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
susus

Gas here in SW Arkansas jumped 40 cents since Monday...Regular is now $2.89....Gonna have to get me a bicycle....Going down the hill will be fine, but this old, fat body would surely not make it up the hill....
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

I just filled up today for $170 bucks (here in Toronto). It's getting rediculous here in Canada. My wife told me to go buy that Mercedes toy and give up my hummer. I told her no, another crack like that and I would just trade her in for a tank of gas!

banker
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:47 PM
Admiral

My dad sent an email that states: "I have been out most of the afternoon chasing down fuel, finally found it at a little station way out in the country so I filled up 4 vehicles for the family but that may be all there is in the state, we’ve received reports that the whole state of Mississippi is out. The state department has shut down pumping to only emergency vehicles the word is we may not have fuel for 2 weeks and the price has already 2.70 a gallon for regular",

So, it looks like there are problems all over. I think people are panicking but this may only be the beginning.

Old August 31st, 2005, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Banker, if you trade her, I won't talk to you anymore!! BTW - October is quarter close, so I won't be able to go.

I filled up last night for $2.66 and today the lines were unbelievable!!! At least an hour wait at the stations. Gas today is $2.89. Up twenty three cents since 10pm last night.

I now am very aware of every mile I drive. I normally get two weeks out of a tank of gas based on my normal driving routine, but I will not be making any unnecesaary trips.

Jodi <---- slept with her docs last night! <VBG>

Old August 31st, 2005, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I filled up this afternoon and there were lines and I paid 2.89 for regular.
We've received word from our school board that school busses will not run for field trips or sporting events and that as of Tuesday Sept. 6th parents should be prepared to get their children to school without bus service!
My job is primarily a field one.....doing health inspections for the state.....wonder when they'll decide that we should be off the road? We're already taking a beating on the gas prices since we use our own cars and are reimbursed a whopping .29/mile!
Angela Z.

Old August 31st, 2005, 08:19 PM
CruisinK&J

In my area of Southern California, prices for gas today: unleaded $2.83. Premium, $299, Diesel, $3.0l. Heaven k nows what the prices were at stations near freeway ramps.

I filled the usually economical Acura, and it cost almost $25. Tomorrow, I'll fill the Benz, because I figure by the weekend, it'll be a whole lot more. It's getting scarey.

Judy
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:31 PM
Admiral

It *was* a rumor (and a mean one at that) Booster, but it got everyone out and pumping. Long, long lines. We are out doing a few shopping-for-the-cruise errands tonight and passed by $3.00, $2.99 ad $3.25. Yikes!!

I filled up this afternoon for $2.56.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:34 PM
convert

In the past, I have predicted $5.00 a gallon within two years. I am wrong. Make that one year. Buy another Hummer, its a very safe vehicle (If you live in Baghdad)!
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:38 PM
BoosterMom

We did go out this evening about 9:30 p.m. and filled up the cars, even though we both had pretty full tanks. Premium was $3.03, lines not bad at all, heavier than usual, but both DH and I only had to wait behind one car. Heard later that our school system was going to let teachers leave early to go get gas, but day care vans and parents were late showing up because they were "trapped" in long gas lines! Poor teachers............there was plenty gas around Columbus and Phenix City, but regular is around $2.81 and premium $3.03.

Dorothy, how did you find it so cheap up there?????? I think Gov Perdue's announcement about the Colonial Pipeline being temporarily closed got everyone in a panic. Heard Gwinnett Co was really bad too................
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

UConn there's always something up with you, year end, quarter end, I say end - schmend.

Vacation time girl, it's only a weekend.

Does anyone know if this affects the price of cruise ship fuel? Might there be a airline ticket type fuel surcharge on cruises?

banker
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:20 PM
DENISE H

gas is up to $2.99 HERE IN MPLS AREA
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:58 AM
VTJen

At one gas station yesterday morning when I brought my son to school I checked the price - $2.82.9 by noon time it had risen at that station to $3.12. My husband found gas for his truck last night for $2.89.9, then I had him go fill up my "new" vehicle, and he was able to get gas for $2.82.9.

We will be trying to consolidate our driving and not make any unnecessary trips.

I was a small child in the 70's and I remember the gas rationing well. My father was in critical care at a hospital 2 hours away. He was a city official and well known throughout the community. Gas station owners were very kind to us, calling our home to let my mother know that they would make sure she had the gas she needed to get back and forth to the hospital. She would go for a couple of days, then back home to check on myself and my grandmother who lived withus for many weeks. We were very grateful to this kind people. That's one of the reason's I believe that in times like these the stories of true humanity and compassion will out weigh all those of greed and lawlessness.

VTJen
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:56 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Gas Scare in Georgia

Back a few years ago, the ship I was on in the Carribbean pulled into St. Croix to fill up. Nobody got off and it was only there several hours. It will be interesting to see if more of the ships start going there to get cheaper fuel that might not be subject to all the environmental charges here in the states. Maybe more of the islands will build terminals or refineries to attract added revenue. I believe even now there are tankers that bring in refined gas because we do not have adequate refineries in the states.

John L.
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM
Admiral

One of the interesting notes I heard today was that one of the reasons it spread so fast is because a morning talk show host who is very popular, especially in that area as it is his home, answered a call from a lady that made those statements. Nothing more was really thought of it until people went nuts yesterday afternoon. Rumors spread quickly and even more so now with the Internet, cellphones and databased! Simply cut back a bit and don't hord and there will be no problems.
Jim