Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Default Severe Gas shortage in FL

My dh called me from Naples to go and get gas. He said the pumps are all closing down in Naples, they have no gas. As I went to our gas station here they started to close them down also. I had an almost full tank anyway and only put in $6. On the local news one county school district is running out of diesel.
If you live in FL get gas! I know we have some CM'S in Punta Gorda.How is it down there?
I am going to the store later tonight to stock up on essentials. I am wondering why this can happen in a country like this?

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Severe Gas shortage in FL

I was only able to get 97 octane this afternoon here in Bradenton near my house. Most stations are out of the 2 lower grades. Some stations here are gouging......Race Trac is charging $3.09.9 for regular and $3.39.9 for hightest. Other stations seem to be holding between $2.69.9 to $2.89.9. I had to go about 7 miles away from the house today.....and these higher prices were what I saw.

My daughter is in Punta Gorda, but I haven't talked to her today.....if I do, I will come back and post.

Old September 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM
Admiral

In the Tampa area they are getting 2.89 to 3.09 for regular, with a few a bit higher. I stopped at one station that was out, however they said they would have plenty of gasoline by morning. Just waiting for the tanker to refill their tanks on their regular day. Lots of people are filling up when they really don't need to, and this is causing the "shortage", it seems. I noticed a few "lines" of about 2 or 3 cars waiting at each pump here in Lakeland, and the price here was also $2.89.
You just don't know what, or who to believe about these prices, and availability, but I doubt if we'll ever see $1.50 per gallon again. Looks like it's about time to retire! I'm getting tired of driving to Tampa every day anyway.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Same story in Atlanta. Lots of the shortages are from people panicing and buying up gas before they ordinarily would buy. Everybody driving around with full tanks causes a shortage.

Prices here in Atlanta are around $3 a gallon and up . It's funny to come to Florida from Georgia and get LOWER gas prices! Florida is usually much, much higher..

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Gas is going up in leaps and bounds here in Oviedo. Local gas station is at $2.99 for regular and 3.09 for middle grade which is what I use. Insane....

Carnival Glory
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Yes, gas is going up by leaps and bounds here in Orlando as well. Our school district has cancelled buses for field trips and sporting events and has warned parents that if the situation doesn't get better that the buses will NOT be running for school transportation next week.
A lot of people are saying the shortage is panic driven and that there really is no shortage but I guess everyone feels better with a full tank.
Angela Z.

Old September 1st, 2005, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I have seen no gas shortage in Northern Florida except a few small areas were people are panicing and creating shortages buy running down and filling up ever container they can. Let us not panic or make runs on the gas industry and everything should be okay. This sounds like the crash of 29 when everyone made runs on the banks! Come on folks, relax a bit.
Jim

Old September 1st, 2005, 10:31 PM
Tashaf

I'm supposed to fly out on the 7th to Jacksonville, Florida and my sister was going to drive from the Savannah area to come get us then we were going to go back to Jaxport on the 10th. I'm just hoping things will calm down by then and there will be gas to do it. Although the prices are high I've saved enough spending money that I am much more concerned that gas will be available and not how much it will cost. At this point all we can do is wait.

I'm almost going through a guilt trip thinking that I will be cruising soon when there are people in such misery so close. We are supposed to be getting a 1000 refugees here in Utah in the next couple days or so and I almost can't wait so that I actually do have an opportunity to do something for some of them. There are many people here gathering stockpile items to donate for these new arrivals. I just hope they get everyone out of New Orleans soon. I just can't belive it's taken this long already.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Admiral

In NE Florida reports are that there is over a millions gallons of gas available. No shortage here except for in the minds of those that listen to rumors. It is very important for people not to panic and/or perpetuate any rumors of this type. In terrible times like this, panic is the first part of anarchy. Don't get caught up in it.
Jim

Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Yeoman

I believe I posted on this thread but it seems to have disappeared. Can anyone explain what happened to my post??
Thanks,
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Admiral

It was deleted and an explaination was sent to your registered e-mail addy.
Jim

Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Severe Gas shortage in FL

No gas shortage here in central Fl. or even in Daytona and Ormond Beach as I was there this a.m.

Carol