Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default British students trapped in the Superdrome .....

In our press over here today - not sure how true it is but may give an insight to what has been happening and the terrible civil unrest out there.....

"Britons tell of hurricane horror
02/09/05
British students caught up in the horror of Hurricane Katrina have spoken of their four days of "hell" at the New Orleans Superdome shelter.

They described how their place of refuge descended into a scene of terror as people ran amok with knives and guns, used crack cocaine and hurled racial abuse.

At one point, up to 30 British students huddled among the thousands in the squalor were forced to set up a makeshift security cordon to fend off abusive locals.

Jamie Trout, 22, an economics student from Sunderland, told the Daily Mirror he kept a record of his terrifying ordeal in the Superdome.

He wrote: "It was like something out of Lord of the Flies - one minute everything is calm and civil, the next it descends into chaos."

In one diary entry, he said: "A man has been arrested for raping a seven-year-old in the toilet, this place is hell. I feel sick. The smell is horrendous, there are toilets overflowing and people everywhere."

Jamie, who had been coaching football to disabled children as part of the Camp America scheme, said people were shouting racial abuse at the Britons because they were white.

Zoe Smith, 21, from Hull, told how students set up a security cordon when the power briefly went down in the Superdome amid fears they were going to be attacked.

"All us girls sat in the middle while the boys sat on the outside, with chairs as protection," she told the newspaper.

Marisa Haigh, 23, from Guildford, and Claire Watkins, 23, from Bradford, were in the Superdome when Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc.

Marisa said: "There was a series of almighty bangs when the roof went off and a panel flew off.

"There was a woman screaming, 'We're gonna die, we're all gonna die'."

On Thursday, many of the students were moved to a nearby basketball arena.

The Foreign Office said they would be met by consular staff in Houston who would help with their onward travel."
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: British students trapped in the Superdrome .....

There is a very heart-wrenching article about conditions at the Superdome here:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...perdome01.html

I've been in the Superdome and I just can't imagine it being like that. Reading that article, it's hard to believe it isn't talking about a third-world country.

I hope they are able to get help to everyone who needs it soon.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:48 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: British students trapped in the Superdrome .....

My god Michelle,

Sounds like an absolute hellhole in there - how terrible and how damaged these people will be forever more when they eventually get out.

KKG
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: British students trapped in the Superdrome .....

There are many foreign tourists still in New Orleans. There were little or no provisions made for getting them out. Most are still in the main downtown hotels where food and water either has or soon will run out. Some of these tourists had cars parked in the hotel garages and it seems a good number of them have been commandeered by the police. Just a terrible situation for all people caught up in this tragedy.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: British students trapped in the Superdrome .

Kimmie,
Thought you'd be relieved to know that a huge military convoy just arrived at the Superdome for relief supplies and mass evacuation. Fortunately, it appears that many prayers have been answered. There is a long road ahead for these victims but at least they will be getting their basic needs met.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: British students trapped in the Superdro

Thanks for that bw - also for all those doubters, Britain has offered help to Bush - just hope he takes it.

BLAIR PROMISES HELP

Tony Blair said Britain was ready to help the United States "in any way that we can" following the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina.

The Prime Minister said he spoke to President George Bush on Thursday to offer his support.

"The whole of this country feels for the people of the Gulf Coast of America who have been afflicted by what is a terrible, terrible natural tragedy," he said in a speech in Watford.

"We want to express our sympathy and our solidarity and give our prayers and thoughts to the people who were affected by what has happened out there on the Gulf Coast.

"As I said to the President yesterday, this country will stand ready to help in any way that we can."
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Kimmie, there was never a doubt in my mind that the British and Canadian's would extend a helping hand. I am amazed though at other countries such as Venezuela who have put our political differences aside and offered assistance. The only positive aspect of this catastrophic event is that it brings out the humanity in so many of us and builds bridges across the voids that separate us.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Yeoman

I just heard on the radio an interview with a Canadian tourist..He was trapped in downtown NO. He gave the reporter his business card and asked them to try and call his home. He said the gang warfare was horrible and that he did not expect to live much longer as he anticipated being shot or knifed to death.
Unbelievable !!
Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I'm so sorry to read what happened to those British students, Maureen. Thank God that it was nothing worse than what was described. I wonder how many of them will never want to return to the States after such a scary and dangerous experience in this "civilized" country of ours. I hope that they will understand how a tragedy like this can influence people who might, in normal times, be decent and law-abiding citizens. But it also shows how racism can show its ugly face in times of stress, no matter by whom and to whom it is directed.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
Admiral

I just heard on the news last night about the rapes that are occurring. It has made me sick to my stomach, and very sad. Why couldn't they get all those National Guard people/troops in there quicker??!!!
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Admiral

America (agencies) have rejected (on UK News) all foriegn help including the UK offer to assist. It appears you guys can deal with this disaster yourselves. Best of luck.

You know what , the victims in the Asian sunami got quicker help to live and survive, whats happening here?

Post Edited (09-02-05 14:29)
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

someone asked why all the resources of the United States and the government weren't there in an instant (military, ships, supplies, shelter, etc). I think we all know why, and it scares me to say it out loud.

The tsunami people (for the most part) were used to living in very near poverty conditions every day. We are not.

Hearing about the rapes made me sick.

banker
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: British students trapped in the Superdrome .....

Banker, why are these people still living and being treated as looters when all they are doing is trying to survive, not all, but most of them that are seen as looters?

Something to eat and drink after what is nearly a week with everyone else ignoring it or hoping it goes away, is not a lot to ask.

But whats happenning, put the national guard on the ground and shoot people, with no questions..

My question is why guard the place or store that has food and bottled water and then shoot those trying to get it, when all around them ignores the situation and does not provide an alternative?

Okay I''ll ask when only about 10 - 20% of the US services are over seas right now. Where is the rest?

Post Edited (09-02-05 15:38)
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

David, you're right the situation now is silly, I was referring more to the reason why the incredible resources of the military was not put into action right away - immediately after

This would have brought in tons of water and medicine and food etc and evacuated people etc and order would have been maintained in a civilized manner.

The reason has more to do with some things that should better not be said in public.

banker
(those in the know have an idea of what this reason is - I believe you know)
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Please Please Please, don't make statements that you know might not be true, or it is you who has come up with the idea. There are many many people on the ground or on the way to the gulf coast. Just because they don't have time to be on the nightly news, does not mean they are not there. I do know, and I would never make statements like is on here now. Please use common sense, when informing the world. As far as the British students, they are in my prayers. Hopefully they have gotten out today, and are safe. This is not the way we want our friends treated, who live across the pond.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Before someone misunderstands what I said, let me say that I did not in any way mean anything about Kimmie's news story, I was talking about things that were said afterwards.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There's been some real atrocities going on in this hurricane situation. No one expected this level of destruction, as it's never been seen before. Reacting to it immediately is difficult.
Of course, everyone would have PREFERRED to see assistance on the ground immediately.

However, the looting is another issue. I don't think ANYONE , including gov't, would have objected if people broke into groceries stores and took food and water. But, there is a difference in the actions of people stealing TVs, stereos, and breaking into homes and stealing jewerly. These are simple criminals trying to take advantage of and add to the horrorific experience that others in the area are going through.

There is behavior you'd expect for the sake of humanity.... the rest is as inhuman as possible, and should be punished. Instead of scheming to do more damage, these people could be expending that energy trying to help their neighbors. Instead rescue teams were being shot at.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Admiral

There's been some real atrocities going on in this hurricane situation. No one expected this level of destruction, as it's never been seen before. Reacting to it immediately is difficult.
Of course, everyone would have PREFERRED to see assistance on the ground immediately.

However, the looting is another issue. I don't think ANYONE , including gov't, would have objected if people broke into groceries stores and took food and water. But, there is a difference in the actions of people stealing TVs, stereos, and breaking into homes and stealing jewerly. These are simple criminals trying to take advantage of and add to the horrorific experience that others in the area are going through.

There is behavior you'd expect for the sake of humanity.... the rest is as inhuman as possible, and should be punished. Instead of scheming to do more damage, these people could be expending that energy trying to help their neighbors. Instead rescue teams were being shot at.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Stating my opinions here might get me in trouble so I will stick to factual things. The Mayor of NO has done nothing but complain he has not been given help. He has not ask for particuliar help nor has he taken charge and directed a plan. Same for the Governer. She has not made the declaration and given the order to shoot looters and criminals under the martial law. It was not until the Executive Branch of our Government took over that real help started flooding in. That 'Branch' is the Congress and the White House. Lawlessness has caused robberies, rapes, assaults, looting, and hunger and thrist. Nobody cares about anyone taking food and water and the basic necessities of life. Steeling electronics, tennis shoes, jewelry, medical equipment etc is not forgivable and those looters should have been shot and left where they are with a looter sign on them until we finish helping those that need help and recover those that are beyond help. Had this been done this lawlessness would have come to sa screeching halt and people would have been able to get some of the help they needed. NO is a huge area itself and you also have the surrounding area as well as the Gulf Coast. The order of responsibility goes up from the individual to local, county, state, and then Federal level. Those at the lower end of this responsibility failed horribly. I am not a fan of the Federal Goverment at any time under any administration interfering with the locals people but the Feds have done a very good job. Just my opinion and the facts as I have been able to find them
Jim

Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Admiral

I had to turn the tv off. All I heard was people blaming each other. I say put all that effort into doing something to help. Robo, can I jump on your band wagon. I agree with you. What I am waiting for, is for the towns that have taken in the people, start having a lot of crime in the area. Anyone who steals a t.v. in a situation like that, will be the first one on a bus, ahead of women and children. They sure better be careful in Houston. They will find thenselves in another kind of place, that issues orange jump suits.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
sailing gal

I just think it shows how important military is. If there are not good people able to be in control, then someone else (like the thugs in NO) will take over. Its just a small glimpse at how things could be on a grand scale. I know many complain that we spend too much on military and sometimes I think that. Then I see this and it makes me step back and think about things. Maybe it is unreasonable to expect all people to act civilly and there are just some people who will always act in this way when given the chance. Its just human nature.
Or maybe if we extend a hand and spend more time/money etc.on others instead of selfishly using it to buy McMansions and $30,000 suv's then we can turn these conditions around. Maybe the attitude of "I worked hard, I deserve it" is just a notch higher than I am in terrible oppressed circumstances beyond my control, I deserve it so I will hurt others to get it. Maybe the McMansion owners are also hurting others in a way that they can not even admit to themselves.
I know that you get annoyed by what it is going on (Kimmie Girl and others) but what are you doing in your own communities to help? There are poor thug like people in England, aren't there? Are there people on the corners begging on the streets? How many people walk by them and not put money in a hat because you would rather buy a latte? Why is it okay then but taking 4 days to get to these people is such an outrage? I think people need to look inward before they start pointing fingers.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Admiral

I think it's important to note that fact that it's only 5 days into the largest scale disaster in American history. While everyone watching it develop would have of course wanted to the aid to come faster and more efficiently, I don't think anyone has abandonded the people and the problem.

The even larger problems are yet to coming, helping a million people rebuild their entire lives. Success or failure in the task won't be clear until months or maybe years down the road.

Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Admiral

One of the things that has me absolutely amazed is that people who were going to stay home to ride out this hurricane didn't store potable water and food stuffs for at least a week.

An evacuation order had been given, so though it would be impossible to predict how bad, they certainly should have known it wasn't going to be over in an hour.

This was no small fishing village destroyed. A million people homeless, and over 100,000 to be evacuated and lord knows home many to be rescued first... the logistics were an enormous task, and as much as we wish it could be true, I don't think it possible it could have been organized much quicker than it was.

Old September 3rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Not to mention that it was impossible to even reach some people. Unless they were in imminant danger they were passed over for those that were. It is no small problem to move that many people. The locals supposedly had a plan, it went to hell in a handbasket immediately and those in charge did not ask for specific help. The wheel slowly turned up the change of command and they did not do much more and FEMA took over. They did not have the means to do much more than they did and I guess they did not want to admit it or something but the Feds such as Congress and the White House finally stepped in and said enough was enough and ordered troops in to clear the place out. We are working to assist those affected by this terrible natural tragady and that is what counts now. We can go over all the misques later and change what needs to be changed. Want to do something, donate cash to the American Red Cross. Let us not play the blame game right now. The biggest problem I saw was that martial law was not enforced Monday. That would have stopped instances like the above from happening and the needless loss of life among those suffering now.
Jim