Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Default Let's hear some great hurricane survival stories

I'm not putting my head in the sand and watch the news religiously. I want to stay informed.

But.......I also like to hear the uplifting stories of courage and survival.

Have you heard any great hurricane survival stories such as the one Tide posted about the family washing cars? If so, post them here!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Let's hear some great hurricane survival stories

I saw a story last night about a young kid who was stranded in NO and had no way to get out after the storm and no one was coming to rescue him so he went down to the school garage which had been destroyed, he found the keys to a school bus and drove it all the way to Houston picking up stranded refugees along the way. When he arrived at the Astrodome he had a bus that was packed full.

I had the pleasure of entertaining a family this morning who has decided to settle here in our town after being forced from NOLA and losing everything they owned. Luckily they left NOLA the day before the hurricane, but they have nothing except each other. I am so lucky to get to know them, they're lovely people and it touched my heart when the kids came up and hugged me tightly. We loaded up two ttruckloads of stuff to get them off to a new start and I can say that this was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I was amazed that after all they had lost, they were so thankful to just be together and escape the fate of the poor souls that found themselves at the Superdopme or the Convention Center or worse yet, those who didn't even survive.

Another touching story was that of a young couple expecting their first baby at any moment. When the father - to - be realized that the hurricane was emminent, he took his wife to the NOLA airport and the only destination they could find was Indianapolis, so he bought 2 tickets and the baby was born shortly after arriving in Indy. How cool is that? I saw them on the local news and they were so joyful. I love happy endings.
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Thanks Beenie - GREAT stories - particularly what you are doing to help.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Passenger

It's a little sad but heroic. Many of the doctors, nurses, firemen/women and policemen/women who are saving people left and right in the hurricane area are, in fact, homeless like the people they are saving. Yes, there are real heroes down there. They just forget the fact that they are victims also.