CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Salvation Army Refused Donation (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/274478-salvation-army-refused-donation.html)

carol September 3rd, 2005 03:25 PM

Salvation Army Refused Donation

After 9/11 a BIG lottery winner here in Fl. donated 100K to the Salvation Army and they refused his gift. S.A. does not accept gifts that were earned from gambling.

What a shame as this generous gift could have helped so many needy people!

Carol

beenie weenie September 3rd, 2005 04:10 PM

Re: Salvation Army Refused Donation

Oh well, I am sure the Red Cross would accept it. I hope the donor didn't give up after being turned down by the SA.

Angela Wilson September 3rd, 2005 06:11 PM

I know of a wonderful charity that would help..If the SA doesn't want it, I am sure there are many many charities that would appreciate it.

Tide Pride September 3rd, 2005 06:55 PM

It is amazing that they would not accept the donation but the Salvation Army is a religious organization in their roots.
I would have to say though that " where the rubber meets the road ", there they are.
They are a first class organization !

Lombard September 3rd, 2005 07:25 PM

I take it that the SA never collects donations in Las Vegas?

skymaster September 3rd, 2005 08:43 PM

I always give to the Salvation Army, rather than some of the other organizations! There are very few organizations where I'm sure that 100% of my donation goes to good work, and not to big salarys of the directors. The Salvation Army does great work, and is always there when needed. They hold to their values, and don't waver from what they are founded on and believe.
Bravo,
Ken

carol September 3rd, 2005 08:57 PM

Re: Re: Salvation Army Refused Donation

Since this organization turns down this kind of a gift, then they don't need a donation from me!

carol

Jim Bragg September 3rd, 2005 09:54 PM

While I can grudingly admire them for sticking to their Christian principals they are turning back a lot of money that could be used for good. There are few organizations that I contribute to because of the money being used for high paid staff but thee are some that I personally feel very worthwhile. One of those is the Red Cross. This organization is in the forefront of this relief and can use the cash donations.
Jim

Parrot Mom September 4th, 2005 09:35 PM

Of all the organizations.. we always donate to the Salvation Army.. Many a GI who was in Korea will NOT donate to the Red Cross and after 9/11 I understand why We also donated to Noah's Ark..for the rescue of the animals..

April September 4th, 2005 10:58 PM

Well just to let you know when I was in Las Vegas last Dec--- there were the SA red kettles all over the place--- ringing their bells loud and clear---- I miss them near me---- most store dont want them hanging around----
Funny dont think all the SA are alike------ IMHO---
April