Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Default Preserving the past - NOLA

Several months ago I stumbled across a beautiful Journal bound in black and brown suede and on the front it says "Voyages, A Travel Journal. I thought how cool it would be to document all of the trips we take with the kids in this beautiful book. Well we've been so busy travelling with them this summer, I never took the time to write. While there is a lot to be said for living in the moment, it is really important to me that the kids remember the details of our family travels.
In the days leading up to the catastrophic events on the Gulf Coast, and everyone predicting the worst case scenario. Category 5, levys breaking, the city flooded. Never to be the same again. At that point I started counting my blessings that we took the kids on that trip with us, and that they got to see New Orleans the way it was... They saw NOLA the way I remembered it. I come from a long line of musicians and performers and was raised on Dixieland and the Blues. This is part of my kids heritage and I want them to be aware of this connection and New Orleans was one of the few places where you can still find the real deal. They'll be one of the few of their generation who knows what Preservation Hall was. I have pictures of them in the Audubon of the America's Aquarium, which is now gone. I have pictures of them standing on the Riverwalk, and sitting in Cafe Du Monde eating Beignets. They know Jackson Square, and while they napped in their strollers their father and I enjoyed a beer at Crescent City Brewery where I once sat in with the band, in my younger, wilder days.
I sat thinking about all of this last night and sat down, spending the better part of the night until writing everything we did on our trip in NOLA last January, in hopes they won't forget. I also made mention of the fact that the Sensation which we sailed on, was going to be used to house some of the victims of this terrible tragedy.
I started our book of memories now and still have to cover this summer's trips we've taken, but NOLA is special to me and I had to make sure those memories were recorded before they were lost in the blur that forms as time passes.
What was your favorite part of New Orleans prior to recent events?
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Preserving the past - NOLA

I've never had the pleasure of visiting N.O. but many who have visited the Montreal International Jazz Festival have compared the music and the "French-ness" to N.O.
Funny you should mention your N.O. memory book. Today I was in a Scrapbooking shop, and came across some packages of stickers for travel to all big cities in the world. I bought some beach ones, a N.Y. one for my recent N.Y. trip, and there on the rack was a pack of beautiful coloured stickers for all the sights of New Orleans. Made me sad to think those places don't exist anymore, except in the memories of people such as yourself......

donna

Old September 5th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Admiral

I have been to Nola twice for conventions ..... my favorite thing is the cuisine ....... those wonderful restaurants....... Antoine's, Commander's Palace, the scrumptous brunches at Brennan's and the beignets at Cafe du Monde. I grew up (and out) on fried dough!

And I will always remember the sounds of Bourbon Street.

Old September 5th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I've been to New Orleans twice. My family gathered there in 1983 to take a cruise on the Mississippi Queen. My sister and her husband and my husband and I arrived a day early and had a wonderful time just walking around the French Quarter and watching the world unfold from the balcony of our hotel room. (I worked for Quality Inns at the time and got a rate of something like $10 for a balcony room!) We ate Lucky Dogs and Takee Outee chinese food on a stick and it was the best. Also discovered The Gumbo Shop.....yum!
My sister and I went back in 2000 to celebrate my 40th birthday and our dining choices were decidedly more upscale...Galatoires to celebrate my birthday and once again The Gumbo Shop. We rode the streetcar through the Garden district and picked out the homes we'd love to have, we had our tarot cards read in Jackson Square and had our picture taken under the sign for The Court of Two Sisters restaurant (or is is 3 sisters? I can't remember).
I'm sorry my kids haven't had the experience.
Angela Z.

Old September 5th, 2005, 09:21 AM
BoosterMom

I've been to New Orleans many times, UGA Football games(Sugar Bowl) in the Superdome, conventions, vacations........I remember Gailtore's too and eating there as young marrieds and being shocked that you could pay that much to eat a meal.......I remember the wind blowing the first time we took our daughters to Cafe Du Monde and the powdered sugar blowing all over their faces...............I have the antique earrings I bought at Cohn Antiques and recall the beautiful antique gun collection they had. I remember the bread pudding at Commander's Palace. I remember taking a tour of the Garden District last year and us all laughing when someone pointed out the Curves in between a bunch of restaurants. The piano player and ironically the Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens...........a drink that packs a punch..........wonder if they will keep calling them hurricanes...???? I remember meeting Emeril at the Emeril's years and years ago and not having a clue who Emeril was..........Yes, who can forget the smells, especially the ones on Bourbon Street during the Sugar Bowl. Funny, I just recalled us driving through New Orleans as a child and not being able to stay in the French Quarter because we had the family poodle with us. We were on our way either to or from San Antonio and we drove on to Slidell and stayed in a Holiday Inn. (I have pictures still). Evidently in Louisiana, you can't have a pet in a hotel..............we just didn't tell them at the Holiday Inn. My daddy went out early, early the next a.m. to walk the poodle and saw about 10 other people doing the same thing.........we always laughed about the "illegal pets in Slidell".............

New Orleans will come back. It has to.............
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have never been, but I have a feeling, it will be back, maybe even better than before. Our local paper yesterday, listed all of the resterants, and local favorites that are still very much there. It will take some time, but It will be back.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Cruisin K and J

Really? A list of restaurants still there? I'd like to see the list. I am a big Emeril fan. Did his restaurants survive, Nola and Emeril's?:

I've only been to New Orleans once and that was amyn years ago. I'm glad that I saw it the way it was.

Judy
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:45 AM
BoosterMom

Emerils was a good ways back from the water, but I haven't really seen a "lay of the land" type photo of the city to indicate what levels of water were where. If the Garden District has some water, albeit somewhat low, I'm sure Emerils got some water too...........Luanne, can you post the list of restaurants that are still around?
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AngelaAlabama

Been to NO twice..... And the memories and pictures are always with me... The drive down, my first "hurricane"drink, dancing on the street with my bf to music from a street musician, going down for jazz fest but never sober enough to leave the French Quarter, staying at the Marie Laveau apartments, skipping down the "Green brick road"lol, ahhhh, so many memories.. Those memories were always precious, and now seem alot more precious.
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Mine is wrapped around watermelon,, my son has gone to borrow neighbors, I will be glad to post.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Admiral

I did post info see at the top of chat

Conquest 2006