Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM
venice

Default Katrina- PBS has an Excellent Perspective

Because I know everyone has so many questions about so many things happening here and those of us that live here are still in the shock phase, I thought I would recommend the following

Yesterday (Sunday) the La- PBS station did a special edition program that presented an excellent perspective of this past week's activities. The weekly show is entitled " Louisana - The State We Live In". I am a huge fan of PBS and support them with my yearly donation, because they provide quality programming and I thought this program showed the perspective from the grassroots level-it didn't address rumors, did not cast blame or point fingers, did not focus on one particular activity, instead it showed the events leading up to the storm, the storm, the levee breaking, the despair, the violence, the rescue efforts. They did a really great segment on the impact of the evacuatees(note-please don't use the term refugees ) are having on outlying communities and how the incredible efforts that are going on to try to make sure the children are enrolled in local schools and have uniforms so they would not stand out. PBS also focuses on the regional impact showing the impact on our friends and neighbors in Mississippi.

Contact your local PBS station to ask them to show it on your local cable outlet if they are not already doing so.

Now that the help is here let us not forget that all the people impacted will need help 6 months and beyond after the initial recovery effort.

I have followed these boards as a "shadow" since Saturday night and have not contributed or responded to some postings because I realize that this issue needs to have some distance put between it before one can respond to "why".

I saw a posting where someone wanted a good news story so I will end my posting with one that speaks volumes of the character of the people in this part of the country in responding to this incredible event.

Archie Manning (for those of you that don't know), following his retirement from the NFL Saints, makes his home in New Olreans and played college ball in Mississippi where he is a living legend. HIs children attended an exclusive private school in New Orleans (Newman), but played sports in the New Orleans Recreation Department leagues. Archie's two sons Peyton and Eli play professional football and make millions of dollars per year.Their entire family had evacuated and were safe. Without any public fan fare or advance media hype , the entire Manning family return to Baton Rouge and in Mississippi to bring water and relief supplies. Of course when the media picked up on this and wanted to make a big deal of it, all the Mannings indicated they did not want the publicity, but indicated these are our friends and neighbors and we look out for each other. That's the spirit of our people.

There will be plenty of time for finger pointing and "spin" later. Try to see the PBS special, I think it will answer most of your questions and cause you to view this from a different perspective then what the politicians and mainstream media have done.
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Katrina- PBS has an Excellent Perspective

Thanks for that Venice. And once again, glad you're alright.

donna

Old September 5th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I called Venice, and they are going to be showing it here too. Thanks for the heads up.
I too thank God you are still with us.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Admiral

I was the person asking for uplifting stories and you sure provided one. Thanks Venice, for your posts.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Lynne and Trevor

Thanks, Venice. We do need to see a clearer perspective of this past week's experience. I used to work at a PBS station in Dayton OH so I echo your sentiments about the worth of such broadcasting. Lynne
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:02 PM
sailing gal

I'll have to look for that. PBS , I believe, has some of the best programs. The reporters on CNN etc.are getting out of hand with asking everyone the same question about who is to blame. I think former President Clinton answered that the most eloquently that I have seen.
Karen
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Karen,

What did Former President Clinton say?

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Venice,
We cannot walk a mile in the shoes of the people, we have watched and wept for all week long. Your spirit, and check ins, have inspired us to give more, pray more, and be hear to listen for anyone who needs an ear. I hope G-d will give you all the strength, to carry on..The prayers of the Cruisemate Community, are sent across the miles...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator