Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Default Dance Like No One's Watching...

In the wake of the tragedies of Hurricane Katrina, and in memory of a dear CruiseMate, Pam Kane, I just had to post this wonderful sentiment given to all of our daycare staff this past week, by a couple of parents whose twins are moving on to kindergarten.

Dance Like No One's Watching

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are. After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We'll be happy when they're "out of that stage".

We tell ourselves that life will be more complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, are able to go on a nice vacation, or when we retire....

The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, then when?

Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.

Stop waiting until you finish school. Until you go back to school. Until you lose ten pounds. Until you gain ten pounds. Until you have kids. Until your kids leave the house. Until you start work. Until you get married. Until you get divorced. Until Friday night. Until you get a new car or home. Until your car or home is paid off. Until spring. Until summer. Until fall. Until winter.Until you retire. Until you die. There is no better time than right now to be happy....Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Smile alot, it relaxes yourself and others. And....
Dance Like No One's Watching!

donna

Old September 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Re: Dance Like No One's Watching...

That is beautiful Donna, i had heard the saying, but not the whole thing. Thanks for sharing.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:04 PM
AR

Know what, Donna?

That sentiment is exactly why I don't use or believe in "countdown clocks." I'm not in favor of counting the hours to a wonderful event like a cruise, holiday, land vacation, or whatever. Because if you do that, you tend to lose focus on all the wonderful things that can be happening during all those days before the countdown ends.

There's an old Broadway song that says "The best of times is now." And it's true.

My father once advised me not to wish my life away, and I hope I've taken that to heart. I like to feel that my countdown clock to the next good day is always at zero.
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I feel like I've really learned this lesson in this past year what with my husband and I both losing our fathers and lots of other drama in between.......there's no time like the present!
Angela Z.

Old September 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Many of the residents where I work "live in the moment". Their memories are such that they can share a laugh, or say something profound, or have a cry, but minutes later they don't remember it.
While it's sad in a way-they are not counting down their tomorrows-the tomorrows are counting down for them. They live for NOW, in the NOW, and are themselves NOW. In 5 minutes they may be someone different, who don't know why they are there, don't know where to go to eat, after they've been there 3 years, don't understand how to get dressed. or how to play a CD player they enjoyed, or even what a CD player or a TV is.

I do have a countdown clock--but then--it's a means to an end. Do I check it every single day? No, I kind of look at it every few days, and it is a point of conversation for other fellow cruisers sometimes. We have someone who tells us how many Saturdays we have left until the cruise. It keeps the excitement going. But--it doesn't interrupt the daily pleasures we enjoy along with the ups and downs.

We should live in the "here and now" because we don't get it back. If we by pass an opportunity today, it might not ever come our way again. Likewise, if we learn something today, when we would ordinarily be doing something insignificant, then we'll keep that lesson with us and savor that experience.

Thank you, rollerdonna, for sending us all a great reminder!! Lynne

Old September 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Thanks Donna.
This is the only way to live. I too, live like there's no tomorrow, because, frankly, there may not be. That's not to say I don't plan for tomorrow. I certainly do, but my day to day life is that of a man who does what he enjoys NOW, and doesn't wait until tomorrow for things to get better, or change.
Some people think I'm crazy because I fly light airplanes,,and ride motorcycles,,,and go on cruises,,, and do lots of other things that THEY consider nutty. I just got a United States Marine Corps tattoo,,,only 45 years after most of the rest of my unit got them!! Live for today!!
Ken
Old September 5th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Thanks Donna, that is beautiful.

I almost died a couple of years back. I Spent 3 months in the hospital and 2 weeks in critical. I had just quit my last job, and was 2 weeks into a new job at this bank when this happened. So, thinking of a new job, the excitement, the challenges etc, who knew that 2 weeks later I would be fighting for my life.

The blessing was that now I really try to laugh as much as I can, be as silly as I can, and try to remind myself as often as possible to enjoy every second of life, every person I meet, my dear wife, and my precious kids.

Thanks again

banker
Old September 5th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Donna, I think these days we all try to live a little more by that great philosophy ...... thanks for the reminder to put it into first gear!!!!!

Old September 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM
sailing gal

Unfortunately, this wisdom seems to come with age.
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM
sailing gal

I should have added also under conditions of tradgedy and illness.
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Cruisin K and J

That 's really good advice, Donna. I was just thinking that this Thanksgiving, Keith and I have so much to be thankful for. Last May, Keith was fighting for his life in an ICU. The climb back has been very, very difficult and still continues.

At Christmas, we did no shopping for each other or celebrating. I don't think Keith even knew about the day. I cried most of the morning, but a gathering at the in-laws later in the day helped. This year I hope things will be different!

Living in the NOW can be difficult ,and looking ahead can be scary. You have to insert some sunshine in there somewhere. For me, sunshine consists of resuming my book worm habit; watching my husband regain his strength and his mind after being taken off an anti-seizure med that totally changed him; a land trip in November for a wedding, and of course, the Cruise of the Century.

I am thankful, too, for all the CM's who helped nurse both Keith and me through the nightmare we experienced. Thank you, thank you! Can't wait to meet so many of you on the New Year's cruise!

Judy
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Yeoman

Donna,
That is our sentiments too!!. After losing too many close friends to an early death and living thru 4 hurricanes last year, that also has become our motto. Make evey day count. Never forget to say "I Love you" because it may be the last time you get to say it. Enjoy life to the fullest, that is why we travel so much. We may not be able to do this at another time. It's hard at times, but enjoy your children. They may not be there one day. Hug them and love them. Open your hearts to others so you don't look back with regrets. Take care
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Good thoughts RollerD.

My motto: 'I'll never be any younger to do it.''

Bill