Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Captain

Default UPS cancels health ins.

I'm furious! I just spoke to a woman whose husband is a 22 year employee of UPS.
They are from NO, where the UPS trucks are obviously not rolling. They received a notice this morning that as of 9/30 their health insurance will be cancelled since he is not working!
I'm not UPS's biggest customer, about $500 a month, but that business just went elsewhere.
Though ya'll would like to know.
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: UPS cancels health ins.

OMG.......my daughter works for UPS here in FL. They are known for their good benefits, but the working conditions and treatment of their employees leaves a lot to be desired. Since her employment with them last year, I have a different view of the company.

It is my guess that the Union will get involved in this situation to go to bat for the workers in that area. They ARE unionized.

Old September 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Captain

There is only one way to clearly communicate to UPS and others who consider doing the same type of thing to their affected employees. We need to spend our money elsewhere and that is exactly what I will do. I use UPS for most of my husband's company shipments but there are other companies with what will hopefully be more heart and I will write to UPS to let them know the reason why. People can be negative about Walmart but the reality is that they have really stepped up to the plate for their people that have been affected by this horrible tragedy and God Bless them for that.
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Captain

I thought UPS had been able to keep the union out. I knew it had been a battle to become unionized for years.
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Admiral

No.......my daughter belongs to the union and has a union steward at her location.

Old September 7th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

My girl friends son is a union rep in Florida for UPS. I know he will be doing something if this is true because he is that kind of guy.
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Cruisin K and J

What crappy treatment of employees. I never use 'em for anything anyway.

Judy
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Don Smith

It is a by product of business that if you are not working your benefits may cease. Your not shipping with them will probably cost you more, and will not hurt them at all. You are trying to tackle a giant....good luck.
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wonder if there is not more to the story. For example, the health benefits are a part of the union contract. What does it say about this type of situation? Possibly it dictates that the company has to cancel benefits if employees aren't working. Also, under federal law the COBRA insurance will kick in so they won't be "without" insurance it will just cost an arm and a leg.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:28 AM
David Starkey

Given the situation...some companies allow you to personally continue making the monthly insurance premiums(if you have the $$)as to allow you to continue your health care benefits. It just depends on the policy and the company.
The company should put the affected people on leave of absence(loa) and then allow them to continue company insurance benefits.(weather paid for by the company or person).
Best wishes to those workers at UPS.
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM
seabee

How in the world we manage to react so passionately to things before we check them out is beyond me. I'm not saying this is or is not true, but before you guys start refusing to do business with UPS, don't you think you ought to check it out?
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
convert

AMEN x 10,000.