Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:30 PM
venice

Default Katrina Recovery-It's All About Politics

Saw a interesting report on CNN today..They suggest that FEMA may be taking some unfair hits about it's response time and it's all centered on the fact that following 911, the country's response was swift and focused and the Office of Home Land Security was formed with the task of focusing on terrorism. FEMA was placed under Home Land Security and alot of money was wasted by the politicians doing "pork barrel" (the highest % went to Wyoming-which should tell us something) and not funnel to support FEMA in responding to natural disaster planning. The Levee system in New Orleans is a federal responsiblity (not state or local) and funds were cut to repair and strengthen the leevee system

The report also suggest that our political national leaders response to this situation is being framed by the next presidential elections and how can each side make hay on the backs of the people that suffered the most from Katrina.

Since we don't discuss politics on this board (and for good reason), I'll leave it at that

Now some good news, Delta, Mississippi and American Queen paddle wheel cruise ships were all up river and survived Katrina with no damage so cruises are still going on and a lot of New Orleans folks work on the boats who had families that were affected deeply by the storm so I encourage you to think about taking a cruise on one of the boats as a way of helping the recovery effort (plus they are alot of fun and have great New Orleans Food and Music, My Mom went several years ago and loved it)
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Re: Katrina Recovery-It's All About Politics

Wow these poor people aren't even out of their homes, and the trash begins. He did this he did that. Sounds like my kids, when they were younger. Maybe the talking heads can go down there and rebuild it. Every time they complain, tell them to shut up.

Luanne

I agree we shouldn't talk politics on here, and hopefully this will be taken care of.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Admiral

All I can say to this is that James Lee Witt, once the Director of FEMA, when it worked right, has finally been brought in.

This man is THE expert in disaster relief. I believe that he will make a huge difference. He works off of common sense, not government suggestions.

I'd also suggest that if you see him on TV or read about him in the papers, you pay attention. This guy knows what he's talking about!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Passenger

It was announced today that the American Queen has been taken out of service. It is expected to resume service on March 6, 2006. The company is working with government authorities to make the vessel available for relief efforts in the Gulf Coast region, especially Greater New Orleans.
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:23 PM
convert

The head of FEMA used to be the director of some horse association so naturally his experience is evident.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Shall we worry about helping people right now and you can complain about the shoulda, coulda, woulda later....and somewhere else. I have my own thoughts over this but right now my only thoughts are getting help to those that need it.
Jim

Old September 9th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I certainly agree with you, Jim. We'll worry about who to blame later.

But this has been handled so badly. Now the Director of FEMA has been replaced with a Coast Guard Admiral. I still think it's too bad that they didn't bring in Mr. Witt, regardless of party affiliation. He's the expert in disaster relief.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014