Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Default How do you deal with Non-Drinkers

I decided to put this as a seperate topic from the one below, although it is kind of tied in...

What do you do when there are non-drinkers (for religious reasons) at the cruise table?
A toast or shared wine/champagne bottle are out of the question, and drinking a beer or a drink next to such people can be a tad awkward....

I do not drink as a rule, but like to relax when I'm cruising, so I do order the odd drink, and might offer to share a bottle of champagne with the table (can't drink it myself).

Is it Pepsi for the entire cruise?

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How do you deal with Non-Drinkers

Many cruise lines offer wine by the glass if you are the only one in the mood for a drink. Raise your glass or not. Its up to you. When I was expecting our two children, I was not able to drink alcohol, however I would never have expected anyone else to abstain from having a cocktail just because I couldn't drink. When other's proposed a toast, I raised my glass of non- alcoholic drink and toasted with everyone else.
If you are uncomfortable drinking with others who abstain. Just be discreet, don't make it an issue and I am sure it will be fine. I am sure that anyone who books a cruise in this day and age realizes that they will be surrounded by people who will be drinking.
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Cynic - I have traveled with drinkers and non-drinkers. If you are a drinker, like me, drink away! Almost all the non-drinkers I have been with really don't care if you drink or not. And they have always joined in a toast using their water glasses or whatever they are drinking at the time. I have never had anyone offended when I offered to share a bottle of wine or champagne - all refusals have been polite and warm.

Old September 9th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AngelaAlabama

How often do you see people of that religious persuasion? Just simply ask if anyone would like to share in a bottle of wine or whatever. If they say no, ask if it would offend them if you imbibed. If not, then, hey! Great,wonderful. If so, you will know that the next night to slip the matre'd a $20 and ask for the party table<EG>

Post Edited (09-09-05 03:07)

"The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next."
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Admiral

I am, for the most part, a non-drinker (exception New Years or other celebration toast ) and have no problem with others drinking unless they are drunk and obnoxious. I will toast you with my soda or water. However a cautionary tale:

Due to an airline mixup Rev. Jerry Falwell and former President Bill Clinton would up sitting together on a flight.

The flight attendant asked them if they would like to order a drink.

Reverend Falwell proclaimed with self-righteous indignation "I would rather commit adultry than let alcohol pass through my lips!"

President Clinton smiled and said "Me too!!!"

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM
VTJen

I am a non-drinker - for many reasons. Just as I don't expect people to pressure me into drinking, I don't expect people to change their behavior on my account. If you feel uncomfortable, then it is because you choose to put that pressure on yourself. Just don't throw up on me, that is all I ask, or even in my presence, cuz then I'll be joining you.

Enjoy, be yourself. And just because I might not need to drink, doesn't mean I'm not a lot of fun. Mine just might be the "party" table and perhaps you wouldn't have to bribe anyone to change tables.

VTJen
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: How do you deal with Non-Drinkers

I am also a non drinker<but I will have a good beer in Germany> I don't care if people drink at my table or not. It does not offend me one bit.And no hold the Pepsi too..we only drink water

Old September 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Jeanne & Ellis

We enjoy our glass of wine at dinner while on a cruise, not every night and sometimes will share a bottle with those at the table who would like a glass also. As for asking permission, I think not. If there was a problem, which we never have had, I would ask for a different table. We wouldn't let something like that to ruin a cruise.

Jeanne
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Admiral

I am a drinker, beer of course, and like to drink a lot of it on cruises................hiccup. I ushuallee have olny twoo beersh at dinnah. If udders wanna toast wish water.......hiccup......thash o.k. tooo.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Passenger

Cynic
I am a non drinker and have no problem when people ask me if I would like to have a class of wine with them for dinner (has happened on past cruises). I politely tell them no thank you and please enjoy yourself. I would not be offended, only if they would keep pushing it on me.
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Thomas !
Cynic, I am not much of a drinker, occasional wine, but not every night at dinner on a cruise. I will always "toast" with my water glass, or soft drink, should I have one. My only objection to drinking is when we have someone like on our last cruise at the next table, who arrived every night late, drunk, under-dressed (jeans, shorts, open shirt, dishevelled) and proceeded to be loud, obnoxious, and disturbing to everyone.
Nobody need to drink that much - not even Thomas! <VBG>

donna

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Admiral

I think non-drinkers are accustomed to taking care of themselves. Suggest you ask who wants wine at dinner, and order the appropriate amount for them. A nice gesture is a fancy bottle of sparkling water -- Pellegrino is the best -- so everyone feels festive.

Anne (a non drinker)

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Don't drink. No religious or any other reason.
Don't care if anyone else does.
Wanna have a drink, knock yourself out!
If anyone gets offended, that's their problem
Not everyone enjoys the same stuff.
There's probably things they enjoy that you don't
can't please everyone, so I don't try

Enjoy!

banker
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Parrot Mom

What is the problem!! Sadly I've discovered all those great mixed drinks put lots of weight on.. On a cruise during the day I limit myself to on or two drinks and maybe, just maybe at supper one.. or a glass of wine..If I felt I didn't want anymore I would toast you with my iced tea or water.. It's not that I'm not in a party mood As for sharing in celebrations...I'd be delighted to toast you.. Yes, I agree the most obnoxious guests are the ones that are always at the bar and alwys drunk. Which reminds me...I must pack some instant iced tea and lemonade (I hate plain water) in my suitcase to mix with bottles of water before we go off ship.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

In all the cruising, Iíve done, I have yet to see, anyone offended of anotherís drink preference. That said, I have seen people offended of others actions from over indulgence of drinking.
I am not a drinker, per say. I donít like the taste of most alcohol. No beer or wine, however, I do have foofoo drinks that you donít taste the alcohol. I donít care to be around people whom have over indulged and resulted in compromising most of their senses. I am also afraid that if I get drunkÖsome gorgeous woman may try and take advantage of me.??? Hmmm.. excuse meÖ Iím off for a bottle of Bacardi 151.

and laughing is contagious,
hereís hoping for an epidemic!
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Cruisin K and J

When we meet our cyber friends on the Cruise of the Century, the first thing they will discover is that Keith cannot have alcoholic beverages. Booze could cause seizures, and that we definintely do NOT want. I, however, will indulge a little since I do not have to drive.

I can't imagine anyone being offended because somebody raises a water glass during a toast. I've seen that many times at weddings.

Judy
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

That's not so bad, I'm afraid if I get drunk my wife will try to take advantage of me!

..........take the kids, the money, and leave me!

banker
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Admiral

I have honestly never had a problem with this. I drink very little an there are many times I actually prefer not to drink anything stronger than iced tea and have no problem toasting with that beverage and have seen many others that do the same. The only thing that would bother me is someone who did drink too much or insisting someone have an alcoholic drink.
Jim

Old September 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Denise H

i'm non- drinker on your last cruise i get a bottle non alcohol wine in the dining
room i also order non-alchol beer or non- alchol drink at the bar its my choice
just be yourself have a drink enjoy yourself its your vacation
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Can't drink while cruising because I wear the patch. I tested it out at home - and believe me - I cannot drink while wearing it lol - cheap drunk! Practically knocked myself out with one glass of wine lol.

I would think it wasn't my business if anyone else wanted to drink at the table. It's your cruise, you paid for it - drink away. In fact - have one on me lol. I just make up for it when I get home tee-hee. I would love to join you (hic!)

TTFN Jennifer
Old September 10th, 2005, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Another point:
If you are looking for someone to share a bottle of wine at dinner and get no takers every cruise line (Carnival, NCL, Celebrity) will re-cork and save YOUR bottle for you to have another night. Late hubby/DD drank only red, me only white so this worked for us.