Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old September 9th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default To Rotate, or Not...........

Since my cruise is up and coming, and I routinely do this, I wonder if you do,as well..

I like to rotate my seating at the table in the dining room. In my beginning cruises, I didn't and wish I had..Once on a Carnival cruise we sat at a rectangle table for 10.
Unless you rotated, and we didn't that cruise. the end people NEVER, spoke a word to each other. I wonder what dummy thought this table design was conducive to chat!!

Shortly thereafter, I decided we would rotate our seats every night at dinner. No one has ever complained, and it gives everyone a chance to have a more intimate discussion, with new people as the rotation continues. I also have come to the conclusion, at least for my husband and myself, that a round table of 8, is the nicest. We had 10 on the Century last year, a bit too big, when we were all there, which of course with alternate dining, you can be alone actually some nights..Boy I would not like that.

On our first cruise on the Carnival Celebration, we had a booth for the 3 of us, It was like eating supper at home..don't get me started

Should be interesting how we end up dining on the Cruise of the Century, next year...So many Cruisemates, so few dinners

So do you rotate? Would you instigate it, or would you prefer someone else to?

PS.I just realized Cruise Cynic, has a similiar thread..OOPS

Post Edited (09-09-05 08:32)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 9th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Jeanne & Ellis

Default Re: To Rotate, or Not...........

Good Morning Trip, Glad to see you back. <<<<<SMILE>>>
both my DH and I like having a large table, prefer the round for being able to talk with everyone instead of having to shout down to the other end of a large rectangle. For the most part we have had great table mates, of course there is sometimes the one person or couple who we don't "click" with, but that never has stopped us from getting a large table. We also have found get people to talk about themselves or their children, grandchildren, there is always something that they like to talk about! We have met so many nice people. And who is to say we (Ellis and Jeanne) are perfect table partners. <<<<grin>>>>> We figure they must have asked for a large table so they could mingle and meet others too. As for changing seats during a cruise, we do. First we ask the table, but find that by changing seats each night we can get to know the others more. Always makes for an enjoyable dinner.

Jeanne
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Admiral

On our last cruise to Bermuda, we sat at a table for 6, and we were always the second couple there. Walking up to the table, I said to DW to sit in a different spot. It worked out great! One person (who was traveling with her daughter) had paralyzed vocal cords. She was a wonderful person to talk with, but you had to be seated next to her if you wanted to hear everything she said. Anyway, when I said what we were doing, everyone at the table agreed that it was a great idea. Different person seated next to you and different views of the dining room made the evening meal a wonderful experience.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Trip, I too did not like the booth arrangement, and with a sullen teen, it was not pleasant. However, when he is with us at a table of 8 or 10, he has surprised me by being very friendly and amiable. - Go figure! Have to admit, never tried rotating, and being a creature of habit (same place every night) probably wouldn't, but I'm sure it's a good idea for some people!

donna

Old September 9th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Instigate. Yeah sure the first couple of times you get the "look" from the people that think their original choice of seats was carved in stone. The must have the end of the table with their backs toward nothingness facing forward being able to observe all the rest of us in our finest goofy form. But, as mentioned, it's nice to have a conversation with other people and get to meet everyone.

banker
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Captain

We also try to rotate seating on every cruise. We find it does make it easier to get to talk to everyone at the table over the length of the cruise.
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

We always rotate in that situation. The staff adapts for the most part.

Old September 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Caterina

Yes, rotate! That way you get to talk to everyone and have a different view of the dining room. On one cruise I watched a table for six whose occupants sat in the same place every single night. Trouble was, a woman in the middle never stopped talking during the whole meal and you could see the rest of the people bored out of their minds. With rotation she would have been at the end where she couldn't dominate the conversation.

We have had people not want to rotate but gentle persuasion usually works.

Ed - how nice of you to make the extra effort to speak with the woman with the paralyzed vocal chords. I am severely hearing impaired and find that a lot of people don't want to take the time to speak slowly and directly to me in conversation so I miss a lot of what is being said. People like you have a kind heart.
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Sounds like a good idea! On our last cruise on RCCL, we requested a large table for 8, and ended up at a table for 4! Our tablemates were very pleasant, but they were sitting on the booth side and the back of the seat was very far away. They could not sit there because of the lack of back support (we could not trade because my hsuband is in a wheelchair) and they ended up switching tables, so we ended up sitting alone!!

Thank goodness tho the table next to us was close, and we ended up forming a friendship with the just-married couple there! We even ended up going to Disneyland with them the day we returned since we all turned out to be annual passholders.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Admiral

We too always get the largest table available, and we too ROTATE! That works out great as you get to sit next to everyone at one time or the other during the week. We usually instigate the rotation, and then once it's started, even if you're not first at the table, you'll notice that the rest pick up on the idea and rotate as well.
Have a great trip.
Ken
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

if everyone at your table has multiple personality disorder, then are you more likely to meet the same person if you rotate?

banker
(it's Friday and I'm being silly)
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Trip> be advised I'll be sending the boys around.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've had many tablemates over this years tell me to "rotate on this". I guess that must be what they were talking about.