Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Default Kuki writes about Priceline

Kuki has a great article on the homepage about using Priceline.com to secure hotel rooms pre- or post-cuise. Wish I had the courage to give it a try, but with Priceline you don't know where you're booked until after your bid has been accepted and I'm always fearful that I will have made a non-fundable payment for a night at the Bates Motel! Good article Kuki.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ly....
Glad you enjoyed the article. It's actually a re-run, but the information is still valid.

If you check out biddingfortravel.com the information there is very good, and you can pretty much tell which of two or three hotels your bid will get you in certain zones. Especially useful and easy in Ft. Laud and Miami.
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Familiar Face

I certainly agree with Kuki. We got the Rennaissance in Ft. Lauderdale for $75 and the Holiday Inn Oceanfront in Cocoa Beach for $55 using Priceline (and biddingfortravel as Kuki mentioned)
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Admiral

We used Kuki's advice also for our first booking in Vancouver...Bid only 4* and you can't go wrong or get the "Bates" hotel. We got the Hyatt and Sheraton for $80 and under. You can't request smoking or non or king or queen but after you know which hotel, just call them up and put in your request. We just had 2 wonderful rooms at the Sheraton in Vancouver. One was the 32nd floor and the other the 24th, both with spectacular views. We did have to settle for a 3+* in Ft Lauderdale in November but it's only 1 night. Good Luck!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Default kuki Writes About Priceline

I went on Biddingfortravel several weeks ago and found it quite overwhelming. Didn't understand it at all. I read everything about the rules and regs but it didn't really answer my questions.

l. Can you bid for a room with a view? If so, do you still pay a lower price or will the cost revert back to what the hotel originally charges?

2. How many hotels should you bid on? For instance, if we need a hotel in Miami for the Cruise of the Century, how can I bid for a hotel that's the most convenient to the pier? I am not familiar with Miami.

Judy
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Judy,

When using Priceline you bid for a "Star" level of a hotel. 1,2,3,4 or resort level. The star level corresponds with the standard star levels for most travel guides. A four star is top of the line with all amenities. Three is pretty nice, such as most Hiltons and Radissons.

The room you get on Priceline is guaranteed to accommodate two adults and is usually two double beds but I have NEVER had a problem requesting a King and getting it. You do not have a say in getting a room with a view.

You also do not know what hotel you will have until after your bid is accepted.

In Miami the most common 3 star hotels that come up are Radisson Biscayne Bay, Marriott Biscayne Bay and Hyatt Regency Downtown. I have stayed at Radisson and Hyatt, both purchased through Priceline, and have been very happy with both. I requested a bayview, king room at Radisson and got one. When it was Westin I asked for a bayview room I did not get it. I got a room on an upper floor that overlooked the downtown area. What the heck, the room was fine.

For the price you save: The hotel price for my last Hyatt stay was $195 and I received it on Priceline for $60, it is well worth the savings. The room I had was a corner suite with two balconies. Nice room.

I have only had one negative with Priceline and that was locally and they made it right.

One personal note: I have found that the rates on Pricelline, while still much better than the hotel's rates, aren't quite as good as they were a year ago. Note: That is my personal observation but I do use them quite a bit.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

I finally read Kuki's article - really good!

I am for the first time, not going to use HHonors directly and try priceline. Do you still get your HHonors stuff? or Starwood preferred (whatever)?

What about using priceline for cruises? I figure it would be easy to distinguish which ship from the itinerary and sail date etc?

anyone?
Thanks,
banker
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Banker:
You won't get HHonors points but I have been upgraded to the HHonors level by showing my card when I have used Priceline. It hasn't happened every time but it's worth giving it a try.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Admiral

I've gotten HHonors points for Priceline stays by going on the HHonors website after the stay and filling out a "missing stay" form. Worked every time.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Michelle:

You're naughty. That's why I like you.

" Stays that are booked via third party websites other than the websites of Hilton HHonors airline partners are not Eligible Stays irrespective of rate paid, for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward VIP tier status. "

Take care,
Mike

Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Admiral

I like the way your mind works, I wish mine did that way. Hell I wish mine worked period.

Sneaky........vewy sneaky!!

banker

oh - what about cruises on priceline??
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Banker:

I've looked at them and they haven't impressed me. The bidding doesn't include the port charges and taxes so it looks better than it really is.

Take care,
Mike

Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
" Stays that are booked via third party websites other than the websites of Hilton HHonors airline partners are not Eligible Stays irrespective of rate paid, for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward VIP tier status. "
True of all programs, I imagine. But "not eligible" doesn't mean they won't credit your account if you inquire, as Michelle points out. I always ask, and many hotels, including the Marriott Marina in Fort Lauderdale, graciously credit my rewards account on a Priceline stay. Ask a desk clerk, not the manager!

Tim
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Trevor is into www.biddingfortravel.com right now and has a list of forums up. He clicked on the first one that has a list of Ft. Lauderdale hotels.He's not sure what he's looking at except that it looks like reviews. What should he be looking at? He's willing to look into it, but needs to know where to go.
Thanks!! Lynne
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Admiral

By the way, Trevor is looking into this as a result of me reading Kuki's article to him outloud while he was in here. He's been into priceline before but like another comment, didn't like accepting a bid on a hotel when he didn't know what it was.
At least he's giving it another shot! Lynne
Old September 24th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Lynn.. one portion of biddingfortravel will give u a list of hotels in different cities that Priceline is currently using.

Their message boards will have recent posts from people about which hotels they got, and for how much.
Old September 25th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Hi Kuki,

I just tried to book a hotel on priceline and got stuck on the address page. How did you get around the "US address" thing?

Thanks

banker
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker
Hi Kuki,

I just tried to book a hotel on priceline and got stuck on the address page. How did you get around the "US address" thing?

Thanks

banker
For Canadians it's a bit trickier.. use your address, but for state us CA, and for zip code 12345 or 99999

Also, used to be that Canadian Visas wouldn't work (something to do with the number sequence on Canadian cards), so if you have a MasterCard or Am Ex, use it.

Also set up your profile on Priceline, then you won't have to bother next time you go to bid.
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Thank you master. You have learned the ways, and powerful you have become!

young banker
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Banker..

I see the Farce is with you.
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Hi Kuki
Trevor put in a bid of $79-81 for the Marriot Marina Resort. Got a couple of replies back that a room couldn't be touched for that little amount. So, he tried!
Anyway, I went to a different discounted hotel site and ended up booking a room. I'm afraid to ask what "run of house" means. But there is a central clearinghouse in another state that compiles the lists of reservations for each place. We received a voucher which we must present at time of check-in to avoid "multiple" room charges.

My sense is that 'Run of house" means space available, if there's a cancellation, the "broom closet", etc. It's a reputable chain. Have you or others run across ROH? The top priority in our house is not an expensive room for one night (or any night for that matter) so when the low price was seen, we took it.The place was listed with several other hotels in the area.

We shall see!! Lynne