Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Default Volunteer at a Shelter-Then Pass Comment

Yesterday I volunteered at an American Red Cross shelter to help my friend who volunteered and flew in from Los Angeles to help the recovery effort in Baton Rouge...When one volunteers and has the opportunity to interact face to face with the evacuees and listen to each story, it puts a very "human" face on this whole situation (unfiltered from the media "spin")

I strongly urge my fellow CM'ers if for no more than a day volunteer to support the Katrina victims that are in your communities and I think many of you will have a very different perspective, that would be reflective in some of your postings...

thanks, I just thought about this new hurricane coming in and the irony of the poor cruisers on the Conquest that was moved from N.O. to Galveston and now the Mayor of Galveston is asking for voluntary evacuation..will this never end ?
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Captain

Venice, how right you are. Until you look into the eyes of these people who really and truly, not just figuritively, have nothing you just can't grasp it. On the way home after my first day of volunteering I just pulled over to the side of the road and squalled. Nothing else to do but weep bitter tears for the tragedy that has become these peoples lives. They will recover, they will go on and some will land in better places - but only with our help.
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

My inlaws volunteered right after it happened in Baytown at the Red Cross shelter and that shed a lot of light on how Red Cross works and about the evacuees themselves. I have not personally volunteered. I hope and pray that Rita leaves Houston Galveston Baytown alone as so many evacuees are here and that is just another uprooting for the evacuees along with the rest of us. Debbie