Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Default WARNING!! Southwest will TRASH your checked items!

We had just returned from a few days in Las Vegas & Utah. When we arrived at the airport, we were told our suitcase was overweight and if we could not remove any items from the suitcase, they would charge us an additional $25 fee. (Hindsight is 20/20, we should have just paid the fee!!)

We had purchased a chip set while in Vegas for $100 which included a nice silver case with latch. We had put it in the suitcase for protection, but when we removed it, the Southwest employee told us she could slap FRAGILE stickers ALL OVER the box and it would be just fine to check it.

WELL, when we arrived at LAX and pulled the box off of the baggage carousel, we disovered the case had been TOTALLY DESTROYED! The latch was completely wrecked and the silver case was pushed up in a V shape as if it had been slammed against some metal surface. Chips were missing as well as one pair of dice we purchased to put in there.

Needless to say, we were TERRIBLY angry about this! When we went to the baggage office, they told us they were NOT responsible for any damage, just loss. Excuse me?? If Southwest was not responsible for this damage, who was??? They refuse to do anything about it.

SO to avoid further misery of others, do NOT listen to Southwest employees who will tell you it's okay to check your valuable items. Obviously the handlers know they are NOT responsible for ANY damage so they are free to throw things around as much as they wish, and they probably LAUGH at the FRAGILE stickers that were all around the box!

An annoying end to a otherwise enjoyable vacation....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Jean:
I take it that you actually checked the case and didn't carry it on.

Yes, baggage handlers treat any checked baggage like the old commercial where the adult chimpanzee attacks the suitcase. Anything fragile or expensive should be taken onboard in a carry on.

Never check anything that is fragile unless it is sent air freight and properly packed. Even a fragile sticker will have little meaning if it is put in with the rest of the baggage.

I am so sorry this happened to you and you had your case destroyed.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:20 AM
Admiral

So, what you really mean is that "Southwest will trash your checked baggage."

Not your carry-ons.

I had to read it twice before I realized that the content of the post doesn't match the title.

Every airline will bounce your checked bags around. This is nothing new. Never check anything remotely fragile. Sorry this happened to you.
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Oops, thanks Mike & AR...I corrected the subject line...

And as a follow up, my husband contacted the woman who sold us the case and is sending us another one at a discount, which is very nice of her! She was sorry to hear what happened....of course we'll have to pay the shipping, but it will be nice to have a new case and we can trash the old one and be able to enjoy our kit when we take it to friend's houses.... She also found a couple of chips and dice to replace the ones that were lost, so that was very nice of her.

Thank you for your nice replies....live and learn....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas