Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hurricane Season

After reading so many comments/complaints/gripes about cruises that have been canceled or rerouted because of weather I can't help but wonder, what possesses people to schedule their cruise vacations during the fall which we all know is hurricane season? If you can't travel at any other time of the year maybe you should make another choice about WHERE you travel specifically NOT the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico regions. Afterall, cruise lines do not have power over Mother Nature.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Well, I can't speak for the gripers and complainers, but I CAN tell you why I do.

Rates are just too good to pass up and it's been a good time for my dh to leave work.

We cruise during hurricane season knowing full well that we might miss some ports (did last year - 2 instead of 4 - Eastern instead of Western) or even have our cruise cancelled. We are pretty go with the flow types, so had a great time on both our cruises. We also purchase cruise insurance.

However, if you are someone who needs to know exactly how things will happen, or must visit a certain port, then I agree, cruising during the season isn't for you.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I'm sorry to disagree with you but hurricane season is from June 1 to Nov.30
I believe that consitutes summer here in N. America. I have lived all my life in Florida and have not seen so many storms as this year.
My first one was in 1960 Hurricane Donna. the worst by far were the 4 we had last year.. Charlie, Ivan, Francies, Jean.
Old September 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Hello,
We looked into a cruise for May this year-before Hurricane Season, but the prices were way too high. They come down during the Fall and out of 4 cruises in the Season, last year was the first time we encountered a hurricane--Jeanne. What did that do to us? It diverted us West and gave us two extra days out.
Our very first cruise was in a February, but we didn't choose that time. Our neighbors treated us to that cruise and they paid exhorbitant prices-thank goodness they could afford it.
Our last 3 cruises have been in mid-late Sept and first week in Oct. This year we are cruising Oct. 23, which is later. By the look of this season, we may still be caught. But, like Dorothy, it depends on my work schedule and the cost involved.It was actually exciting to see swells for a day.
Lynne
Old September 24th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have no problem with booking during Hurricane Season. However I know that my cruise may very well be canceled or my itinerary altered. I also will not book without purchasing insurance to cover any losses that I may incur because of canceled flights or other issues that may happen. I do know that if the cruise is canceled all I am entitled to from the cruise line is my money back and that's it. Also, if my itinerary is altered I really am not entitled to anything other than my time on the ship.

I am confident that the cruise line will not intentionally put the ship into harms way. The last thing they want to do is lose a ship or passenger. That will hurt them more than any hurricane could ever do.

One last thing, hurricane season overlaps both, Summer and Fall. In North America.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

MONEY! Also a good time to take off of work. We have been doing last minute early May late April cruises lately and they have been good price wise but fall is the best. I'm booked early Dec. this year. I have been rerouted a few times but always had a good cruise - rain and all it is an adventure! BUT I also bring Bonine for the high seas! Debbie
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Captain

the prices are good at this time of the year if your a person don' like
hving kids around this is a good time to go since the kids are back in scool
when we took are cruise we went after all the hurricane we hd good weather and good sailing we had one port was change on us because of
hurricane damage we went to coasta maya and we had a great time
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

All of the above reasons! But,I might think twice about it if I didnt live in Houston.If I had to fly to another port,I would definitely buy insurance! But,I dont mind going with the flow.As much as storms terrify me,I agree that they dont want that precious ship harmed nor its cargo! Prices are just too good to pass up..but I wonder how long thats going to last! Of course the good prices are already more than they use to be.Im watching those waves out there now...hope they hold off another few weeks! And then fizzle fast! Dot
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Admiral

The hurricane season has some of the best prices. The reason is because of the season and that you may do differant ports etc but hey, we look at it as an adventure! As we live here in Florida we totally respect the force of hurricanes but also know there isn't a darn thing you can do about them except get out of the way and I know the ship does that.
As a side note, the hurricane season officially ends the end of Nov but THIS year rumor has it that they are considering extending it until the end of Dec!
Jim
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Jim,yes,and those 2 waves they are watching is scaring me!!
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Admiral

for those who complain - you chose to book your cruise during hurricane season, no-one forced it on you.
I also feel that a lot of the complainers unfortunatley are not knowledgable cruisers. They see the price and get dazzled by it.
You have to be able to go with the flow, be flexible and don't sweat it when it comes to cruising during hurricane season.