Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX
Default Rita's Wrath

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and good wishes! Rita was very kind to Texas! It could have been so much worse.To the areas that she wasnt nice to,we all wish you well in the days to come.

I watched an extensive arial view of Galveston,and things look pretty good there! Except for the fire on the Strand,I have more damage in my yard than they do! It got a bit harry at times,its 4 pm and still quite breeezy here.

Prayers to our neighbors in Louisiana...Dot
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Dot, we were thinking of you the other night in chat, and praying things were okay for you...Thankfully they were....my thoughts are in the Gulf again

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 24th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Admiral

And, you still have power!! That is great. No bad food in the fridge, your appliances still work,and the air conditioning, and probably the cell phone towers might have stayed up.
That was the worst for us last year in Florida with our 3 hurricanes. No power, no air, no phones. This year we have all battery operated items!

We're glad you are doing well.!! Lynne
Old September 25th, 2005, 04:30 AM
First Mate

Thank you! Lynne,I dont know how you guys do it! The reason I moved where I live now is that I would be AT the front of the line to evacuate! Little did I know I would have such problems "jumping right in there"..now if I had no tv...I might have evacuated,but sitting here looking at those LONG lines,I decided to let them die down a bit first.

Then,when they started saying we might be on the "clean" side of the storm,I decided to stay home.My whole street was here,so I had plenty of company.But,I doubt I would ever do it again.I would NOT have wanted to be on the "dirty" side.The clean side was eventure enough for me! And,ya know whats strange...a little wind will come up and our power goes off,doesn take much...we lost power about 8 times,but it always came right back on.Good thing too..dont think I could take hubby and sons whinning about how hot it was! Dot
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Dot,
That's why Hubby went out and bought the battery operated fan and TV set!! And, we have a wireless laptop computer now! Lynne
Old September 25th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Dot,
I'm glad to read here this morning that you are ok too. Like Trip said we were all praying for you.

Phyll
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:00 PM
First Mate

I appreciate all those prayers! We have tv,radio,and laptop too,but no battery operated fan! How does that work??? Put out much air? But,Im sure they would complain that it just blows hot air around!
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Looking at the lines we stayed put too. So glad we came through fine and so did you - it was really weird though that we do loose power in a wind storm but we only lost it once and for just a second this time - very blessed! SO very sorry for those it hit and very sorry too that they did not have the time to prepare like we all did and it made things worse. Hope there isn't a next time but know there will be one day. Hopefully NOT this year! I did learn though that if I am east of where they predict it to go I am boarding up the house! These things tend to jump to the east - and this time I'm glad it did for our sakes. Debbie
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Happy Camper...know what you mean..Our power went out the day before the storm! I said,oh great,is this a preview of things to come! But during the actually storm..we lost power about 8 times,but never for very long...it was strange.I thought we would have lost power for days.Some around did,but we were very blessed! Glad you were too.Dot
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Admiral

The battery operated fan isn't overly big--you have to basically be right in front of it!! And that's where HE'LL be! I can stand the heat a lot longer than Trevor can, but it's the humidity that gets me!
We also have battery operated lights--and Mp.3 players/handheld "jukeboxes", and a walkman that has a radio in it. Remember a Walkman????
We can also put giant batteries into our boomboxes to have a way of getting information. I haven't figured out the cell phone, yet, though.Now, we have a Sirrious? Satellite Radio that can be played in the car, so I think we're well covered for gadgets!

I work in a retirement facility and last year a couple of the residents were kind enough to let me make a call on their phone to my parents, and another emailed a message to a friend to spread the word that we were OK--to CruiseMates!! We aren't supposed to take gifts from the residents, but in this instance, I don't think anyone minded. (Plus, I didn't advertise it!).The power was turned on faster there than here at home.

I trust that things will stay quiet for the rest of the season. These last 2 storms were just too much to comprehend and absorb. Good luck over there! Lynne
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:14 PM
First Mate

Lynne,I told my hubby I had a portable radio,and he said,is it on the XM? I said no,he said he would get his out,cause it is! I wasnt interested in all those stations,just wanted some local news! MEN!

There are a couple of waves out there that they are watching...I sail on Oct 8th,I sure hope they go away! Dot
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am glad to know that all of you are okay. What a scary thing that was.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link