Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A ripoff!

Why, why, I ask you does an ink cartidge for a printer cost around $30.00? Mine needed to be replaced today,and it's a crime, what they charge! The price of plasma tv's are coming down, and this bloody, tiny thing, filled with 2 cents worth of ink, is still high priced! It can worthwhile to buy a cheap printer, just to get that darn cartridge in it! grrrrr

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Familiar Face

I think Gilette started it when they sold razor handles cheaply so that you then need to buy blades for the rest of your life.

Did you notice that the ink cartridge is also the print head on most printers.

When ink-jet printers first came out, the ink and print head were separate, but they had all kinds of problems with clogged and/or leaking print heads. They decided to sell you a new print head with each new ink cartridge. Actually not a bad idea, especially if you want the pristine head to print photos not just text.

You can refill the ink cartridge, but it is messy. The stuff never washes off. I wouldn't bother.

In home use you aren't changing the ink all that often. Are you?

Larry

Valor Jan 8, 2006
Triumph May 12 2007
Triumph November 3,2007
Liberty November 22, 2008
Miracle March 4, 2010
Glory Jan 16, 2011
Spirit Sept 11, 2012
Fascination September 22, 2014 Kansas Concert, Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here, at least, most of malls have kiosks where you can get the cartridges refilled for about half the price. Also available at Office Depot type stores I think.
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Admiral

The kiosks are cheaper, as are the "store brand" ink cartridges.

However, the manufacturers go to great pains to advise you that if you are caught using these inks, they will void your warranty (for what it's worth).

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

What I find "interesting" is that people by photo printers and then decide they are going to take 1,000 pictures and print every one of them. Then find that the price of the ink is putting them in the poor house.

They soon become more selective about what picture they print and which ones get deleted or just stay on the disk.

Actually the prices of ink cartridges have come down quite a bit in the last few years. I remember when "toner" cartridges were about $350 each. I still have a HP Laserjet 4 but the toner cartridges are too hard to find anymore but when I do they are about $70 and they are refills. BTW: Black and white only at a speedy 12 ppm but the print is beautiful.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:25 PM
First Mate

Trip.

I get my cartridges from printpal.com and they are reasonable!!! Very fast service and easy to navigate their web site. Try them out, I think you will like them.
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you have just a plain basic printer, it is usually cheaper to just buy a new printer then to buy an ink cartridge ... lol

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Hi
And, we noticed that whenever the cartridges are used, it's the color one that goes down faster, even though there's a black cartridge in there, too. The black in the color cartridge is used primarily, as if the other one is default. Why? I think it's because the color cartridge costs more!
So, my grandson taught me that I could go to preferences in the print window and select "Print in black and white". I do that a lot now, especially if I just want the information and not the "frills". Lynne
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Thanks guys, all that great info, duly noted, and given to Bruce

Old September 25th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Something that will actually make your cartridges last longer is to actually print something every day. The ink will settle in the cartridge and become impacted. By printing, the ink powder will stay loose and continue to print.

You can usually get a bit more life out of a cartridge by giving them a good shake and some light tapping on them to loosen up the ink. The color ones run out faster because they get the least amount of use and settle first and become impacted.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Default Printer ink

Ink doesn't get a chance to settle in my printer cartridges. Just ask my hubby.
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Trip,
Try Voltexx for replacements. Have been using them for years and prices are very good. I order them all the time. But have to admit when printig photos I stick with the original manufacture, but Voltexx has some great pricing.
http://www.voltexx.com/Default.aspx?...lLdNRlB6eXrJNA

Old September 26th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Admiral

I just paid $29=95 NZ ($20=67 US odd) for a black cartidge for a HP printer, which I found reasonable.
Hate to think what a tricolour cartidge will cost me, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. :evil:

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

I noticed at our mall the other day a new little store/booth. It was set up in the middle with no or little overhead. All they do is refill ink. That's it! While you wait! Kinda like the days where you used to see quicky photo's. They had a catchy little name, but I can't remember it.

I just remember thinking..."Why didn't I think of that?"
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Passenger

Trip: Why not check out colored lasers. I bought a Konica Minolta printer in Sams in January for $399 and the copies are amazing. The cartridges will produce 5,000 copies and replacements are around $80 each. I figure that when these go it will almost be cheaper to buy a new printer than the cartridges. The only problem is that you cannot use ink jet paper because the colors will not absorb. I found laser paper in Staples. To buy manufacturers paper, it is pricey. If I want to copy a photo I just do it 9 x 11. We hardly use our ink jet except for black & white copies when needed.

John L.
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Next time I need an ink cartridge I'm going to order from lasermonks.com. Their prices are good and you're helping out a good cause.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old September 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Trip--

Larry's first reply has it right on the nose. It's called "Gillette Marketing," and the watchword is "give away the razors and sell the blades."

It's gotten worse lately with some of the printers that are "free" when you buy a computer. What they don't tell you is that the little "starter" ink cartridge they give you with the printer will get you maybe two dozen copies. Then, the replacements for those particluar brands and models are especially expensive. I actually met a guy on a cruise who swears he throws away printers when the ink runs out because he can always get a printer cheaper than a cartridge.

Refills at the mall are a good idea, and here's another. . .

Don't print pictures at all on your printer. Copy the ones you want to print to a CD and take the disc with you when you visit your nearest warehouse club or other deep discount photo outfit. They'll print up your stuff while you shop at very low prices, plus you'll be getting real photographic prints. No photo paper to buy, no heavy ink usage, no waste. My warehouse club charges 17 cents for a 4x6, 39 cents for a 5x7, and less than two bucks for an 8x10 or 8x12. The quality has been uniformly excellent, and I'm very fussy.

I'm engaged in an ongoing project making albums for our kids. Instead of pasting individual pitcures on pages, I use Photoshop to lay out 8x11 pages on the computer, then get these full-size pages printed at the warehouse club. The pages go into acid-free loosleaf plastic sheets, then into the leather album. A markedly superior presentation, because I have full control of backgrounds, etc., I can add text, and each page is a single sheet.
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

AR:
You are a wise one: I rarely print pictures. They go on CD and are taken to our local Digiquick (nice work) to be printed. It isn't worth the cost of printing at home. Photo labs that have survived have learned to incorporate photo processing and digital processing and do a good job at both.

Take care,
Mike

Old September 26th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Thanks again for all this great info. I don't print pictures at all on this printer, just the normal, printing, and I don't print every day...oh well..thanks again Kids.

Old September 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Admiral

I can give you another example of "Gilette Marketing".

For people with diabetes, you can obtain blood monitors for little or no cost.
However, each type of monitor has its own test strips which usually come in bottles of 50 strips.

Doctors recommend that patients test their own blood with the monitor any where from one to two or more times a day. Buying a new bottle of test strips is like buying a new printer cartridge in cost and it has to be done a lot more often.
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Default What a Coincidence!

Even though I didn't know what this thread was about, it happened to catch my eye. Just a little while ago, I went to print something that should have been in color but came out in black only. Evidently my color ink cartridge is out of ink. It seems like I got it not too long ago at Target. I've hardly used it - I don't print photos, so I am shocked that it is empty. Yes, they are ridiculously expensive.
Cindy
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Captain

I am afraid that I am one of those people who replaces the printer instead of the cartridges. Three weeks ago it would have cost me $78 CDN to replace the two ink cartridges or $57.83CDN to get a new printer with the ink cartridges(same size) included. I normally refill at Island Ink Jet in the mall for about $25 per fill but after you fill them a few times the cartridges starts to leak and leave blots on the paper.
I also agree that photos are best burned to CD and printed at the photo shop. We are getting prints for $0.15 for the first and $0.12 for the second and I can't print them myself for that price.
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Thank you for that tip on Printpal, Frank. I've been paying $30 for my Epson black cartridges (T0401-20) at Office Max. After reading your post last night, I went to the printpal.com website and ordered five (5) of the cartridges for a total of $26.77 (free shipping). They are not made by Epson, but they are guaranteed to perform the same as an Epson cartridge. I'll take my chances, and save $123 in the bargain.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas