Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Reviews

I have a new obsession. I am truely into reviews. I just type in ship reviews and I can read just about anything. There is a thread in all of these I have read, and that is some people are not going to be happy, or they enjoy making others feel bad.
The biggest question I have is why would someone who cruises regularly, get on a cruise line they know will not make them happy. I just read one where the man's review complained from the beginning to the end. I know you say" why keep reading?' Simple: I wanted to see something terrible happen to this man. I know that's not nice, but he truely was a jerk. He is the type of person, that crew members need a vacation from. I have only done one cruise so far, but I found fun and enjoyment in the entire trip, and if the day comes that I am so full of myself, or where I get on a ship, already feeling like I will not have a good time, I will stop cruising. Cruising can be so much fun. It is also something left in the world that not a lot of people have done. So if you have a cruise planned, be happy about it. Feel special, because you are doing something, others only dream about.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Luanne, have you ever heard the term" masochist"..some people have to be unhappy and let everyone know they are unhappy, and look for things to complain about to obtain a self fulfilling prophecy

Either that or they have alot of money to burn..life is to short and unpredictable not to enjoy it and have fun when you take a vacation

Want to really confuse a person like that the next time you encounter them on a cruise ?..just smile at them and say something nice
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Luanne:

I've been on 3 cruises and have been on at least 25 trips in sun spots like Florida, Hawaii, California, Las Vegas and several Carribean Islands.

I can tell you, unequivocally, that you cannot get a better vacation value, dollar for dollar, than a cruise.

Mind you, it's quite easy to blow a budget on a cruise with shore excursions, shopping, drinks, photos etc. Cruise lines would not make a profit if their customers did not spend on those extras.

Some people make up their mind to be un-happy, some people make up their mind to be happy.

Bill
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Some people are never happy. I can't say that all of my cruises have been 100% perfect, but I wasn't actually looking for perfection, but to have a good time for a good price. That has ALWAYS happened for me!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I just consider myself very lucky to be able to cruise at all. Twelve years ago, I never would have dreamed I would ever be on a cruise, much less have done 6 and have 3 more booked. Life can change in an instant. Enjoy it while you can!

donna
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Captain

Hi Luanne,
I also find the negative reviews baffling. Can't relate to them at all. I sat next to a lady who complained alot on my last cruise. I'll try the saying something nice approach next time.
K
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You can look at reviews two ways. They can be thought of as entertainment or tools. I think think they are great tools in planning your cruise. If there is a recurrent theme or problem then it's probably something I will experience on the ship such as: Good/bad food, service etc.

I pay less attention to a review that is completely positive or completely negative. No cruise is either completely bad or completely good but one will always outweigh the other.

The two extremes that give the least information are the reviews that just state something like: "It was fantastic. I didn't have to cook for a week or make my own bed." or "It sucked. The ship moved. The food had sauce on it and the ports were dirty."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I agree with you Lynne, some people will never be happy. I have met a few in life and avoid them like a plague.
On a recent cruise our table mates complain that another cruise lines used was better then the current one. they had something to say about the food, service, ship lay out, etc. We asked the head waiter to seat us another table. Much to our surprise at the next table we were with people that so nice, we have kept in touch.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

The one review that sticks out in my mind was very well written. He had a lap-top in his room, and was making comments each day. It was pages and pages long. But I can't for the life of me, figure out why he was on a Carnival ship, with THE COMMON FOLK The vanity didn't have bright enough lights so he had the bulbs changed. The bed side lamp had a sharp edge on it, and he was afraid of cutting himself so he demanded that it be replaced. He talked about being around all these people with no class. What was so funny was after he talked about all these common people, he showed a picture of himself and family on formal night. He had on a powder blue sport coat.

As for reviews in general. I like to read them for info. For example, everyone I have read about the Conquest say that there are two places on the ship that serve really good food from a window. It is described as a drive thru size window. It is not in an area you would be looking for food, but sounds really good. Now I know to look for them.

I have also learned that if you are going snorkleing, take pieces of bread from the ship, and before you snorkle, feed the fish, and then watch. That way you can't complain about the lack of fish.

Reviews are very helpful. And thank goodness you don't have to rely on just one.

I have also learned how to sun bathe on the balcony naked. Just my luck someone would see it from another ship, and report a beached whale on ship.

Have a good day, and read a review............
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Admiral

We're fairly new cruisers, my first was in 1998 and then not again until 2001. Trevor went several years ago but none inbetween. I look forward to my cruise every year. It is a chance to get away, meet new people, be pampered and just relax. Part of my enjoyment is the roll calls with other cruisers who will be on the ship and the months of endless chatter and planning!
Like Dorothy, I don't look for perfection. Nothing is perfect. We haven't encountered anything overly negative, although some have, who were on the same cruise we were. And Trevor has also been convinced that it's the "best bang for the buck". Everything is there! No driving, packing and repacking, looking for restaurants or motels every night, etc.

No cruise can be THAT bad, unless you are looking for little annoyances that happen in any vacation venue. We are average folks, and not royalty. The staff does its best to serve us and make our experience a good one. We do not have the right to expect them to cowtow to every little whim we might have.

I do read some of the reviews from the ships I've already been on, especially if I know people who have been on that particular cruise. I'm just interested in the feedback through the roll calls. Once our next ship is booked, I'll look ahead to the roll call for that one and read reviews from folks returning from that ship, moreso, as the months progress.

If something gets too negative-I stop reading it! Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I know what you mean, sometimes I wonder how these reviewers could possibly have been on the same ship. One says the food was terrific, the next says it was horrid or at best mediocre. One says the ship is really showing its age, the next says it looks fantastic for its age. Whether it is because some people have higher expectations or because some people are more/less pessimistic, I don't know. I think if you go into it with an expectation of having a fun, relaxing vacation you will have a good time no matter what minor inconveniences occur. Who has ever had a vacation, land based, cruise or whatever, that was perfect? That is not to say that some people don't have really terrible things happen to them on a cruise, either through the fault of the cruise line or just circumstance, but I think those incidents are fewer and further between than those minor upsets (a rude waiter at breakfast, having to wait a long time for food at the buffet, etc.) that some people complain about. I'm just an average, middle class person who is very much looking forward to her first weeklong cruise (I've done 3 nighters twice and loved them). I'm not looking for Wolfgang Puck to personally cook every meal I eat, nor do I expect a lounge chair to be magically waiting for me right by the pool every sea day. But I know I will have a great time regardless; have a chance to dress up (not the usual garb for a Central California dairy town), try some different foods, ride a horse on the beach at Mazatlan, run a few laps around the jogging track in the middle of the ocean, etc., etc., I could go on and on. Your vacation is what you make of it.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:26 AM
Passenger

It is so true that you always get some people on a cruise who are never satisfied.

Our last cruise on QE2 ended in Trafalgar 200 celebrations off Portsmouth, UK and the ship was positioned at the end of the line of warwhips and tall ships that were taking part.

We found out that a group of people on the cruise had complained that the ship was too far from the "action" and that a petition was sent to Cunard head office. This resulted in quite a lot of negative publicity in the British press. However, we enjoyed the cruise very much - my only gripe is that those who complained got compensation and those who didn't got nothing!!

Just an example of different people's perspective of the same experience!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:26 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Hi Diana,

Hello froma felow Brit. Yes I saw a programme about the QE" and the 200 Trafalgar celebrations - I think it may have been on holidays from hell or something similar and it was about people paying to watch the celebrations and then saying that they saw nothign fo them and that the people on the land saw far more.

Of course, the programme made Cunard look very bad so it is good to hear a different perspective on it.

Regards,
Kimmiegirl