Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Airline luggage weight allowance

]For my friends and Cruisemates. There seems to be a baggage weight allowance change for passengers traveling International. We used to be allowed 70 lbs per bag but now the weight allowance has been reduced to 50 lbs per bag. I know this to be true for American Airlines and I supposed all the other lines have the same restriction. Tweety was telling me that Delta has the same restriction.

So for our Cruisemates planning for our Liberty Cruise from Rome October 24, we need to plan accordingly. We are still allowed 2 bags per person. Liberty has a launderette and that may help in cutting down with our bag weight.

Cruising on Royal Princess: April, 25 2015. Transatlantic: Port Everglades to Southampton
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Admiral

That's good info, Ray. It seems to me that it might have gone into effect last year, but my memory fails me somewhat.

When we were boarding our Virgin flight from London back to Orlando, we were told at check-in that a couple of our bags were overweight. I'm trying to remember whether they were our checked bags or our carry-ons. There were four of us in our party, and we had to do some fancy juggling in order to meet the requirements.

We had had no such problem on American Airlines going over to England, but of course we probably were carrying less weight then. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads-up. It's good to know before you go. Speaking of which, be sure to get a copy of the updated Customs publication ("Know Before You Go", revised Apr. 2005). There have been substantial changes in the personal allowances for U. S. returning residents.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Coming home from the Glory B cruise my bag weighed in at 51 lbs. I was not charged anything for it. they did mark it with a red tape that said "heavy" I have not figured out how that happened. Going to Florida it was 46 lbs. I did not buy any souvenirs to bring home. . Maybe I should have put something else in Pattys bag. This was Delta/Song airlines

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 4th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Admiral

We recently flew US Air from Philadelphia to Orlando and were hassled over a 53 pound bag. We did some fast talking and got out of paying extra but it seems the 50 pound limit is not only international.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep,
It looks like just about all the airlines have lowered the International limit to 23kg or 50lbs. It was 70lbs just a few months ago.

You could always upgrade to first class and then you could take two bags at 70lbs. and one bag at 40Lbs. I think paying the overweight charge would be a little less expensive.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Captain

I flew United to England for my recent cruise and Delta home from New York. Being gone 21 days, I had my 26" Pullman and a rolling garment bag and both quite full, especially on the way home! :-) When I left Sept. 2nd, United said their International limit was 70 lbs.

I am so glad I took Ray B's advice and used the 2 bags instead of my big monster bag, which would have been well over 50 lbs. with everything I had in the two bags! Doing 3 climates and needing warm clothes is what weighed it down!

I was worried on the return trip as I changed my flights and had a little Conn Air flight from Cincinnati to Chicago (you know one of those 12 row jobs). All worked out fine, my bags were not over although the Pullman was very close to 50 lbs. Everyone on the Cincinnati flight were picking up these small bags at O'Hare, and you should have seen the looks I got when I took my two!

My advice pack light and do laundry! :-) Susie
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Admiral

I've never understood why anybody would want to put 70 pounds in a single bag. I mean, I understand that they're on wheels, but sheesh that's a lot of weight. At some point somebody's got to lift them.

On our last two-week European cruise (plus four days in England), I think all the bags for the two of us totalled about 90 pounds. It just isn't necessary to pack all that stuff, and I'm actually glad that the airlines are lowering their allowances.

I also noticed on this last trip that, in general, Brits pack far less stuff than Americans. A woman we were chatting with at Gatwick Airport had just come from three weeks in Bermuda, and she had exactly one medium-size (and medium weight--I helped her with it) suitcase. Noticed the same thing with some Brits on the ship, too.
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Admiral

I always kind of liked the idea of one big bag rather than two small ones.
No more for that. We recently went out and bought some new lighter weight luggage. Our old 26" suitcases were great, nice and sturdy , but weighed almost 16 pounds empty. New stuff is same size and 9 pounds empty. That's 24 lbs of clothes if we used 4 bags.
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Admiral

When my son flew to Germany this last July, it was still the 70lb limit. He was fine, but a girl in his class was over, can't remember how much, but not that much. The additional cost was 250.00 dollars! Her parents quickly went a bought another bag, over priced in the airport, but the airline allowed her to bring three.

As far as one bag at 70 lbs? Easy, the bigger the bag, the more it weighs empty. By the time you fill it, not even stuffed, it's pretty close. I noticed a lot of makers are offering new lite-weight options. Still think it's easier to tow one big one, than two mid-size.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**