Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Default Satellite Radio

So, I got Mark his birthday present a little early... Sirius satellite radio. It was hard to decide whether to get him Sirius or XM. XM has the better equipment but Sirius has the better programming.

Sirius also features Radio Margaritaville, which is a plus for me... although I'm a bit disappointed because before they had Radio Margaritaville they had Vacation Radio, which was different. Vacation Radio played a mix of Reggae, Tropical, Calypso, Hawaiian, Beach and more. Radio Margaritaville plays country, rock, pop and Buffett.

I like Radio Margaritaville, but seriously, how many Buffett songs in a row can one person listen to? (Parrotheads, don't answer that. ) Plus, I'm not much of a fan of the pop and country stuff they play. I think I would have enjoyed Vacation radio a lot more. I sent them an e-mail about it.

Other than that, it's a lot of fun having all these stations with no commercials. The 80s stations (my other favorite genre besides trop-rock) are awesome.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Hi Michelle,
We also have a Sirius(sp) Satellite Radio. The once or twice I've used it I've found EZ Movin? Lots of older pop songs. There is also an all Jimmy Buffet station. Trevor plans on taking it on our cruise in a couple of weeks so he can listen to the Bucs game on the radio.
I'm one of those people who takes changes slowly, so I'm content with my regular car radio, and have it set on an AM station--oldies but goodies (50's-60's). Trevor bought this car because it has both a CD and an Mp.3 player, but, NO TAPE DECK! I have lots of tapes and use them for learning music, etc. The Satellite Radio is now in his car---but only because mine sits out in the parking lot at work all day and would get very hot. Plus, he can listen to it as he does his errands in town.
As much as I enjoy Jimmy Buffet, I don't think I could listen to him non-stop, either!! Lynne

Ruby Princess
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

As with all other technology, Canada does not have satellite radio yet. I think the signal gets stopped at the border or something. I am, however on the list to be one of the first here to have XM installed in my hummer (will probably have a new vehicle by the time it comes).

Like you, my favourite is 80's too!!

banker
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Admiral

I have XM that came in the GMC.... and I LOVE IT !! Being 30 something... my "hey day" was in the 80's... so I love decades... all the way to NJ from TX... didnt have to change the station one time..... gotta love that !
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Bruce has Sirius radio in his car. The first time I heard reggae I was thrilled..As a matter of fact this week we got a $50.00 rebate back from them, just in time to pay that steep cab charge to the airport!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 9th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
As with all other technology, Canada does not have satellite radio yet
Banker... a friend here bought his satellite radio system in the U.S. and it works. I'm assuming he's paying in the US for his subscription.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I've got a Honda Accord EX which has XM built in, with a couple of "free" stations that you can listen to. I haven't bothered to subscribe as I too am happy with the local stations, and can't imagine that I'd listen to it enough to make it worth the extra expense. (Just make it slower to save up for the next cruise)
See you aboard,
Ken