Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Poolside Page Turner!!

My sister told me about this book, and it was in the NY Times today. It just might be the book you want to read on a cruise..or maybe not Fever, by Sean Rowe.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

It's about the hijacking of a cruise ship...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Trip,
I wondered when you were going to come up with a new cruise book. Thanks for the info.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

That sound like a great book.

I have one suggestion for you. When you have a large link go to

http://tinyurl.com/

You enter the large address and this will make it small, so it fits on one line.

This is for the link you posted: http://tinyurl.com/7s35j

I am new to the board, been lurking for a little and decided it was finally time to join.

Husband and I went on cruise in Jan and going on our second next week.
Both Princess. First was Starr this one on Sun. hope we enjoy it as much.

Nancy

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It sure was humongous, Thanks....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Nancy Welcome to our little group. Trip always has good book ideas, and it's funny but i didn't see the link until you said something. I saw the title, and went straight to my book club.

Again, Welcome Nancy....

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Welcome to our cruising family of friends.

Be sure to go to the chat room any night at 9:00 pm eastern time.
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Took it on my cruise and really enjoyed it. Once finished passed it on to a new freind on board (she is doing the back to back) so a little something to pass the time.

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:10 PM
Admiral

read the reviews..sounds very interesting..thanks for the tip..I'll put it on my list to get for my next cruise
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM
Admiral

nlb50

Nancy:

First of all, welcome to CruiseMates.

My wife and I are booked for Sun Princess next February. Would like your impression of the ship when you get back. We are doing a 10-day southern Carribean. What are you doing?

Bill
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Bill,

We did the 10 Southern with St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Isla de Margarita and Curacou. We loved it! Did anytime dining and had no problem with having to wait (most was maybe 2 minutes). The ship is very well maintained (few minor things that could be fixed but nothing to complain about). We had inside cabin on Plaza and it was really nice coming back from shore to be able to go to the cabin with no hassle of waiting for the elevators (I'm sure everyone has the which elevator will come first problem from time to time).

All the crew were very pleasant. no complaints there. The entertainment that we saw were good, only went to magician and venteeroquist (sp) and they were very good. Found out that the magacina sent bottles of Champange to some of the people he used from the audience. The singer we saw in the welcome show and he wasn't our type so didn't go to his regular show and really the other shows didn't interest us, but heard others say they enjoyed.

Excursion in St Thomas was canceled due to too rough water for semisub but other excursions we enjoyed. If you like the water the Power Snorkel in Barbado was great (loved the rum punch on way back almost as muxsh as the snorkeling). If not for the guide the excursion in Isla de Margarita would not have been so enjoyable. Great buys on pearls right at the dock at Isla de Margarita.

I am ready to go back to any of these islands but guess will have to see others first.

From what I understand the Sun got a new captain after we returned.

One of tahe wildest things was seeing the hawks flying around the ship on the way back to Ft. Lauderdale, onver 170 miles from land and there were 5 of them.

Hope you enjoy your cruise ad much as we did ours.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Welcome Nancy.....and thanks for the VERY useful link!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info; I'll get that next.

I wanted to ask if anyone has read "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. True story. I kept hearing all about this book, but I didn't think I'd like it because it is about drug abuse. All I can say is that there are not many books I get hooked on. I just started this one and only in 45 pages, but I love it. I little rough on the bad language but if you've been thinking about it, get it.

If you read it...what did u think?

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
Admiral

TBug..tell us more
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Venice;

Everyone is talking about this book.

Example. I went to Borders yesterday looking for it. The staff said," we can't keep it on the shelf. A guy, I don't know said he had the book on order and was there to pick it up. Then he offered me his book! He said he borrowed a book from someone else because he couldn't wait till his copy came in. "Here you take my copy and I'll just order another one since I have one to read". What a nice guy. He was 3/4 through and could not say enough about it. As we were talking people just starting gathering around and joining in on the discussion! Everyone said the best they read. One person told me that "she misses him now that she is done."

The Author is an unknown. He comes from a pretty well off family, and got involved with drugs/alcohol. The story starts as he wakes up on a plane, he has no idea how he got there, where his is going, why he is beat up etc... From there he goes into rehab. It's the way it is written. It is raw, no holds bar kinda writting. It is a real as you can get. He holds nothing back on every dirty detail and you feel as if you are there. The story is touching on other people that are there as well.

I can't tell you much more because I don't want to give it away and I'm not very far into it. It is NOT for anyone that has a problem with the "F" word thou.

Let me know if you get it to read.

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**