Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Passenger

Default My Avatar .........

Does anyone else feel the way I look in my Avatar during the Muster Drill? My Wife snapped this photo of me and I had no idea she'd taken it until I got home and reviewed all of the images. I kept it because it really does describe how I felt

Celebrity Cruiselines' "Summit" - Alaska : 14 Days
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Hmmmmm.... Would you rather be doing muster drill or be at home dreaming about doing muster drill.

Every time I get on a plane and they do the preflight lecture, I PAY ATTENTION! as I think it is very important that I do the right thing during an emergency. Even if it dive's straight into the ground at high speed.

It is for your safety and they don't want to be answering silly questions from passengers when there is an emergency.

Nice Avatar non the less. Do you still have your eyebrows.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard
Every time I get on a plane and they do the preflight lecture, I PAY ATTENTION! as I think it is very important that I do the right thing during an emergency.
Sad ...... very sad. After suffering a stroke I have very, very poor short term memory. I do however remember how to fasten and unfasten a seatbelt and I'm pretty sure I could get an oxygen mask over my face if the need arose. I'm afraid your memory must be even worse than mine if you find it necessary to "PAY ATTENTION!" to the preflight lecture. I have it on good authroity (from pilots and flight attendants alike) that the preflight lecture is not for those who are "frequent flyers". The preflight lecture is intended for people that have not flown before or recently.

As the preflight lecture is not meant for frequent flyers, so is the same with the Muster drill. It is a requirement of the cruise lines to perform the drill however boring and useless it may be to those of us who have cruised many times before. I feel that being in a wheelchair should exempt me from having to ignore it for the following reasons :

1. They do not perfom the muster drill with ANY intention of ever having to de-ship in the life boats. I know this because every time I cruise they refuse to bring me up and down the steps AS WOULD BE REQUIRED in a real emergency situation. Instead, they unlock the elevator which I would NEVER be permitted to use in the case of a real emergency so that they don't have to deal with determining whether they actually have the capability and the manpower to do so in the case of a real emergency!

2. During the muster drill they pushed me off to one side because I was "in the way" of their demonstration. That's why I'm all by myself over there in the picture. The balcony and railing were too narrow for them to have 8+ rows of people 4 deep and my wheelchair so they told me to "wait over there". I couldn't see the demonstration if I'd wanted to ......... which I didn't. During the drill my wife Jean told two different crewman that there was no ball in her whistle and that it didn't work. They said they'd take care of it but never did. In fact, I'm guessing that there still is no ball in that whistle and that it is still attached to that lifevest.

3. In a real emergency I would be the first one off the ship. Wheelchair or not I'd be shouting "Jump or get out of my way .......... Here I come".

Old October 11th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Admiral

Thats really sad that the staff do not practice as they preach. I find this totally unproffessional and a little disturbing?
They need to practice this routine as much in real time as the passengers do.
If they don't then they won't know what to actually do when the time comes?
They should never ever discount you as "in the way".

I know the Navy have no wheelchair bound crew but they practice, practice, practice.

Does your chair have a turbo boost like KIT had on Night Rider? It would be a handy feature?

I was a frequent flyer in the past and listened only to refresh my knowledge of the the proceedures.
I even read that card they put in the seat pocket as some aircraft are different and have different numbers of exits,for my peace of mind

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Admiral

ALthough boring and repetitve, I do also listen to any directions given to me for my & or my familys safety. I want to make sure I know what to do as I always travel with ds. It may seem LAME to others that I care to listen, but not near as LAME as the people who wont be able to respond in a real emergency... and GUESS WHAT... Emergencies DO happen !!

Im sorry the ship crewmembers were unhelpful to you with your wheelchair issues, that is absolutely horrible. If it were me, I wouldve raised hell and made them prove to me that they could accomodate my disabilities if & when the need arises. (Yes, thats me... the trouble maker... ) the way I see it is this... they knew you were wheelchair bound when you booked - therefore, they should be able to assist you at any time.

Ok, Im ready for the flaming...

Take Care,
Steph
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Admiral

You Go Girl!, Steph!

I would have the same attitude, if I was in a similar position and they fobed (sp?) me off like that.
I will hold up the flame retardent sheet in front of you.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Passenger

Default Muster Drill

No you've worried me! We're taking my elderly mother on the QE2 next April and although she's not permanently in a wheelchair, we are taking on with us because she cannot walk very far and going up and down stairs is very painful for her. Cunard know the circumstances and that we're taking a folding chair.

However, I know she wouldn't be able to walk to the muster station (likely to be two flights of stairs) and I am hoping that we will be able to push her in the chair (therefore, use lift etc)

Otherwise, can we get to the muster station ahead of time and just wait there????
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:20 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Welove2cruise,

How interesting and it did make me decided to own up to something.

last year, for the first time only, hubs and I missed our lifeboat drill

The reason being when we boarded the Victory, we ahd to wait ages to get into our cabin as it was not ready and also wait for our luggage so sat at the lido bar meeting new friends

Well when the lifeboat drill suddenly went off we had only just got back to the cabin a few minutes earlier and desperately needed to shower/unpack/change etc.

Well we both hid behind the shower curtains and didn't make a sound whilst the steward knocked on the door and quickly checked all the cabins. God it was real hard not to laugh and keep stum

He didn't come into the bathrom and he didn't check on whether the lifejackets were still in the cabin or not so we got away with it. Not blaming him but maybe they are supposed to completely check.

Also did raise the qeustion what would happen if somebody was feeling very ill as well?

Felt guiltiy but having done it 5 times before over the years, like you felt that it was not a criminal act adn we bascially knew the drill. Having said that, that evening, we made sure we knew where our muster station was just to be on the safe side.

There, I finally admitted to it - How many others of you have deliberately missed the lifeboat drill because for one reason or another the timing was really bad - anyone going to put their hands up with me?????????

Regards,
KG
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Kimmie,

You shoulda took pics of you and your hubby hiding in the shower. That would have been an interesting photo to start your collection with!

And I hope not many hands go up....I feel those who skip the muster drill, no matter how many times you've attended it, only could possibly cause problems for OTHERS when, God forbid, a disaster does happen! There are specific things to remember when you are there, easier I feel when you actually see them at the time, not just figure it out later.

It's only a few moments for something that could turn out to be very, very important...then you have the rest of the cruise to enjoy!

And yes, I did find it unprofessional and obviously not very concerned for my safety when I mentioned the whistle problem. It sure would be nice to have a working one if I needed it! But oh well....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_texas
It may seem LAME to others that I care to listen, but not near as LAME as the people who wont be able to respond in a real emergency... and GUESS WHAT... Emergencies DO happen !!
Not LAME at all Steph. It's just that for me it's unnecessary. In the case of an emergency everyone will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off and there will be no "real" order about the way they react. Thats life. Ask yourself this simple question ........ "If I were at the opposite end of the ship from my cabin, would I [be able to] find my way back to MY cabin to get MY lifevest if there was an actual emergency? or would I look for the nearest lifevest and follow the crowds of people trampling each other for the lifeboats?" Can you imagine how difficult it would be to get down those narrow hallways from one end of the ship to the other to find your cabin's lifevest? Imagine the hallways full of wheelchairs, slow walkers, fat people and the 'snooty' ones trying to take their luggage with them to the muster station! It would be utter chaos and chances are it wouldn't work out for most. Most people when confronted by an emergency will do whatever it takes to save themselves and their loved ones first. Grab the nearest lifevest and get to the nearest muster station and hope there is enough room for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaF
Otherwise, can we get to the muster station ahead of time and just wait there????
For the muster drill, most ships that I've been on require you to meet somewhere like a theater or restaurant prior to walking "calmly and organized" to the muster station together. Chances are extremely good that they will allow your mother to remain in her chair and they'll just unlock the elevator for you to use like they do with me. It's not the best way to have a drill as you will never know whether they have the capability to actually carry your mother in a real emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiegirl
There, I finally admitted to it - How many others of you have deliberately missed the lifeboat drill because for one reason or another the timing was really bad - anyone going to put their hands up with me?
I love your honesty! I'll tell you the truth. If there was any way for me to hide in the shower in my 165 pound power wheelchair I'd do it too. Of course, my wife Jean would tell the crew that I was hiding in there .

Old October 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

This may be a stupid question but here goes:

Just how often or when have you heard last that they actually had such an emergancy to the point people had to get off the ship? I couldn't help to think that when I went through my first one last month. Does it happen more often than we think?

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I will admit that on an airplane I pay little active attention to a pre-flight demonstration. I can recite it by heart. On each flight I do count the seats to the nearest exit forward and aft. If one is too far away to count I just keep the closest in my head. BTW: I do this unobtrusively so not appear too strange.

On a ship, I attend every muster drill, but I pay more attention on how I get there and if there are crew only routes available. If there is a real emergency I want the shortest route possible.

Everyone should know where they should meet if the horn is sounded and how to get there.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBug
This may be a stupid question but here goes:

Just how often or when have you heard last that they actually had such an emergancy to the point people had to get off the ship? I couldn't help to think that when I went through my first one last month. Does it happen more often than we think?
I can recall I think hearing of 3 instances over the last eight or ten years where mainstream cruise passengers were called to their muster stations, as a precaution... but they never did abandon ship.

In the event of a real emergency, I'd slip into one of Mrs. Kuki's dresses and get in line with the women and children.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Kuki does Mrs Kuki's dress actually fit you?

TBug's comment reminded me of a Russian cruiseship the "Micael Lumintov" (sp?) which hit rocks
in the Marlbourgh Sounds (NZ) in the 1980s and sank within hours.
This was a mistake on the navigators part and it was a calm night.
It is still there and I think a couple of crew members drowned.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
In the event of a real emergency, I'd slip into one of Mrs. Kuki's dresses and get in line with the women and children.
Really! Too funny! You crack me up.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I just got home, so I had to play catch up on here. I have only been to one muster drill, because I have only cruised once, but I did pay attention. Kuki, honey, I am worried about you. Yesterday you said you were 3 months pregnant, and now you wear womens dresses!! I'm not going to plan any excursions on the "cruise of the Century" we are going to watch you instead.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link