Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2005, 04:30 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Cancun - your honest views please .........

Morning all,

Our U.S. friends are interested in having a vacation in Cancun this coming January (to get some sun) and want us to join them.

Have any of you vacationed there on an all-inclusive deal? They reason I ask is that we have been to Puerto de la Carmen (Rio Hotel there) which was wonderful adn PDLC is further down the coast than Cancun and much more European (if you get my drift).

I hear that Cancun is much more American and is the usual destination in Mexico for American sunworshippers.

Any hints, advice, good Hotels would be very welcome as would very honest opinions about the resort of Cancun itself please. From many Brits I know who have been there, they were not impressed and preferred Puerto de la Carmen but we may be tempted if you guys know the right place to stay.

Many thanks for any advice in helping us decide.

Regards,

Kimmiegirl
Old October 14th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

There is a lot of selection in the Cancun area. If you want more of a party vacation then Cancun itself is the place to go. There are a lot of bars and clubs, however, along with that comes a lot of younger people who do 24/7 what young drunk people do. If you want a little more sun and relaxation go to the riviera. There are plenty of resorts with very nice activities and facilities. All inclusives are a good value and the food is decent (usually good). It's best to stick with a 4 or 5 star resort.

Personally, once I've explored a certain resort and its surrounding area I get bored. I like to have more things to do, and particularily, like the idea of being in a different place the next day. I may not do much, but I like to have that option during the day, and come back to a beautiful ship with the safety and activities on board to enjoy after being out and about all day.
- my opinon

banker
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Kimmie,

Hubby & I went on our first all-inclusive vacation in Cancun earlier this year, and we had SUCH a good time, I cannot tell you! We tried very hard to find something to complain about, but it was impossible!

The staff was SO nice, friendly and helpful. The resort was beautiful, it was along the Riveria Maya. This resort was for 18 & over only (no screaming kids at dinner!) and the organization also owned 5 other resorts along the coast that you were free to use! Also, it included ALL alcohol (we're not big drinkers, but it was nice!) and they had about 8 separate swimming pools, including a swim up bar, heated indoor pool w/underwater music, a current pool, and basically just heaven on earth!

Another plus when comparing to cruises is that you can go to dinner whenever YOU want! The restaurants are there for you, and the cost included tips.

If you wish you can email me directly and I can direct you to the website for this resort. Our TA referred us there, as well as many others, and he said that everyone had a great time!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Hi Jdean

I ahve sent you an email regarding this and would be very wlecome to receive any advice. Many thansk in anticipation.

Banker, It is not in lieu of a cruise just an additional vacation for one week only. Any longer at an AI would also drive me nuts too. It is just that our friends from Minessotta want some sun in late Jan/early Feb and would like us to join them there too. As I said to Jean, I fear it may be too American for us and really if travelling all the way to Mexico from the UK would rather have a Mexican feel rather than an American one if you get my view.

Still plan to cruise later on in the year - this will be just a taster of some sun and relaxation.

Kind regards,
KG
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kimmie,

Been to 2 all-inclusives in the Cancun area in the past few years and thoroughly enjoyed each. You will have fun.

We preferred the adult only ones, for more relaxation and not having to listen to kids run around, etc. Don't get me wrong, we have kids too, but wanted a vaction without having to listen to others kids.

I am now hooked on cruising, but will certainly do a land vacation again.

You can email also if you have any questions.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Quite honestly I prefer Playa De La Carmen myself. It is smaller and more quaint. Cancun is higher priced and to me is basically Ft Lauderdale South. <G> Nothing really bad to say about it but I just prefer PDC better.
Jim