Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default New Orleans police beating video

I just watched the unedited version of the AP video on Yahoo.com Very, very sad My question though is, were the cops on the horses disciplined for blocking the view of the cameraman? With them intentionally blocking the view, it made me think, "what are they hiding!!!"
Old October 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Admiral

NOPD has long had a bad reputation. Actions like this are just one of the reasons it has such a bad rep. I am sure that there are many good guys on the NOPD, but unfortunately there are a number of bad apples as well. Unless they get in some strong and honet leadership that will not tolerate anything like this it will continue. Also frankly if they hope to have effective leadership at the PD then they must also have honest and effective leadership in the local Government and I don't see that in place either. I can and will say that cameras often do not tell the whole story or the whole truth but in this case it seems that it does and the guy was probably not drunk and the use of that much force was apparently not necessary. The Officer that went after the cameraman I can somewhat understand and almost forgive BUT, I said almost. That behavious also can not be tolerated.
Jim
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Admiral

There were 2 young men from USF (University of South Florida - Tampa) who volunteered in Mississippi and were visiting New Orleans for a short break when they came upon this scene. They were very upset and turned to a Customs Officer and asked him to help. He helped all right by throwing one of them to the ground and handcuffing him - when his friend complained, he told him to butt out. They both said the beating was not completely filmed - as the man was all right in the beginning and then they switched to showing him on the ground with all the blood. These young men have reported the Customs Officer to the proper authorities once they returned to Florida.

Absolutely disgusting behavior by the New Orleans police - and the Customs Officer.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012