Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default It Just depends on WHO you talk to!!!!

We leave here (Calgary) this Thursday for a flight to Rome. I booked LONG ago using FF miles on Air Canada, and ended up with Calgary/Vancouver/Frankfurt/Rome.

OK I could live with all that

Two weeks ago, the airline called me (at least they called) that my flight to Vancouver had been cancelled, and they changed us to a flight that would leave us 35 minutes to make our Frankfurt/Rome connection.

I argued at the time that this connection left NO room for error, and since I knew there are flights leaving for Vancouver almost every hour, couldn't they move us to a flight allowing more room for connections. After all they wouldn't have a few alternate flights to Rome to choose from

I was told that it is a "valid connection", and they couldn't change anything. A week later I called back, and was told the only thing I could do was try and fly standby for an earlier flight, but all earlier flights appeared to be very full.

TODAY, I went online, and checked the Air Canada web site, and it showed space available on almost every flight on Thursday. So.. I called once more, explained my flight had been changed, the short connection time allowed on the newly assigned flight, and the lovely women on the other end of the telephone said, NO PROBLEM, and changed my flight to the next earliest flight.

Proves the POINT... It just depends on WHO you talk too!!!

Unfortunately I think the same mentality occurs on a ship. If you run into a problem onboard, you can either get someone who doesn't know, or doesn't care much about being of assistance, or you can get the caring and helful individual.

Wherever you encounter this situation.. when you find that GEM of a customer relations person, PLEASE do what I did....
Get their name, and REPORT them to their superiors!! We want to see these people climb that customers relations ladder quickly!!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

That was well said Kuki. If we reward good more often, maybe others will see how good it is, and start being nice and more knowledgeable.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Wow, isn't that disgusting that YOU can do THEIR job better than THEY can?!??!

And I agree, you do not have to accept the answer of some dufus over the phone is your request is reasonable....it's usually not that they CAN'T do something, it's because they don't WANT to do it!

I've learned to get the name of the person I am speaking to whenver I call for ANY reason to a company. Otherwise, occasionally the person can just disconnect the line on you, and invaribly when you call back, the question is asked , "Well, WHO did you speak to???".

Good for you, Kuki! Enjoy...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Boy, Isn't that the truth!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Admiral

The person you commended will probably get in trouble for violating the policy that the first person followed correctly.

Just kidding (I hope).

Rome is lovely this time of year. Say hello to the Villa Borghese for me. Better yet, bring me back a cup of coffee from the Via Veneto.

In any event, imbibe plenty of la Dolce Vita. An Italian once told me that the English translation of la Dolce Vita is "What you do while the spaghetti cooks." I know it's not the literal translation, but it does capture the spirit somehow.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

You are so right, Kuki. It took me ONE HOUR on the phone to be able to use some FF miles with N.W.Airlines. They kept telling me the flight took 37,500 miles where online it said 25,000. Talked to a nice enough young woman, then asked for her supervisor. Supervisor was a tough nut to crack but she realized I wasn't going to budge.

I finally got my way (using MY miles!) and thanked her and wrote a nice letter to N.W. about her. In other words, I wore her down with kindness.

Bon Voyage!
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Rome is lovely this time of year. Say hello to the Villa Borghese for me. Better yet, bring me back a cup of coffee from the Via Veneto
AR.. any favorite restaurants in Rome? We're staying on Via Veneto.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Admiral

I never had a bad meal in Rome, but I can't remember any of the restaurant names. There's a bunch of good places on the side streets off the Via Veneto behind the American Embassy (which is more or less across the street from the Ambasciatori Hotel). The weather should still be nice enough to eat outside, and for me that's a big plus when it comes to eating in Rome. Like everywhere in Europe, the menus are posted, and you can get a pretty good idea just strolling around.

I think porcini mushroom season is still on, and that's a very special time of year, eating-wise. So if you love them, try to find a place that features them. If they're still available, many places will have special dishes.
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Good for you Kuki,,,I always try to "reward" someone for going out of their way in being helpful,,,it's so rare these days and that's very sad.

You guys are making me hungry,,,,Have a great time in Rome (like you wouldn't) but beware of the pickpockets,,,I hear they have a real problem with them.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Admiral

One of my favorite things that I like to do on a cruise is go by the pursor's desk when there is a long line of people complaining about something and walk up to the side of the person that is screaming at the poor staff about something the staff cannot control and say excuse me to both parties and give the staff person some New Orleans Mardi Gras beads and tell that person to have a great day and tell them I am loving my cruise

The expression on both parties faces are priceless and it sometimes lessens the conflict. I then swing by later when there is no line and the same staff person is there and tell them I understand their situation because I had to do there same type of job for 22 years

when I go down to finalize my bill on the next to the last day of the cruise I always receive a warm welcome from the staff
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Admiral

In a somewhat similar situation, I spent a good 30 minutes with a FF agent just to be told that there was no way I could fly from home to Toronto and to Ft Lauderdale in the same day without over nighting in Toronto.

I gave up on the agent and said thanks but, no thanks. Latter on, I telephoned again and within 5 minutes, I booked the the travel day I wanted and no over nighting.

So, Kuki, you're right, it depends on who you talk to. Also, it's good to do your research to find out for yourself that what you want is available.

Bill
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Having formerly worked in customer service as a supervisor I believe it sometimes also depends how you talk to the rep. An angry nasty raging customer is less likely to get what they want. The rep tends to dig their heels in and not excercise what little discretion they have when they are treated like crap by the customer.

Venice- Did they have to show anything for getting the beads????

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Admiral

''An angry nasty raging customer'' : ''Treated like crap by the customer''

WOW!!! After being on Chit-Chat for a little over a year, I would hope no CruiseMate would fit that description.

However, Doug, I do agree that any customer who would act like that would deserve their just reward.

Bill
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Captain

Hi Kuki,
I had posted an email to Carnival about an employee who went above and beyond. I sent the date I sailed, department, and crew members first name. I felt they should know about how well the employee handled an unfortunate situation I found myself in while on the ship. Unfortunately, I received a letter in the mail from the headquarters which stated that, "Sorry, but we cannot give out personal information about employees." Well, I was baffled as I didn't ask for any information about the employee. I couldn't figure that one out. I felt, after receiving that letter,that the employee didn't receive any recognition. Maybe they didn't like the part where I said I hoped that he got a raise.
Karen
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Captain

Glad things worked out for you Kuki and you'll a less stressful flying time!
Who can make a half hour change these days without being a world class sprinter??? I'll be thinking of all you "mates" enjoying Rome and the Liberty cruise!

It just pays to ask more than once, be polite, not demanding, ask nicely and many times that helps!

I had bad flight arrangements home from New York recently and people onboard told me don't bother to ask, it costs too much to change. I got to the airport, went to Delta and got much better flights through Cincinnati rather than Atlanta and home 4 hrs. earlier. This cost me all of $ 25.00, not much when you get home at 6 pm versus 10 pm.
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Admiral

DH freqently runs into the same thing using Delta. He just continues to call back and eventually with his sweet southern charm, someone will cooperate. BEING NICE is KEY!!! He also likes to reward them.....IF they want it. He asks and sometimes has been told....thank you, but no...I really wasn't supposed to do that!
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Admiral

A couple of years ago when we were having bad firestorms in Southern California, hubby & I got stuck in Albequerque on our way back from Orlando due to the fires. Southwest Airlines employees were GREAT in helping us during this time. My husband had only brought enough of his medication for the days we were going to be gone (he doesn't do THAT anymore! )

Not only did they put us up in a hotel, but they provided meals for us AND contacted a pharmacy so my husband could get addtional medication. They ALSO assigned someone SPECIFICALLY to us who was there when we left the airport in the taxi they provided and were there when we came back the next morning!

My husband wrote a beautiful letter including all of the names of the people who were so kind to us. Southwest wrote back expressing their gratitude of the letter, AND gave us two tickets for a future flight! We were surprised and felt a twinge of guilt, because it certainly wasn't our intention to try to get tickets from the letter, but I guess they reallly appreciated it! They had certainly done enough for us already...

SO it's also nice to be sure that people get their kudos when they are richly deserved....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas