You know when you work with young people, you never know what to expect. Today was like that. In between classes, (6th graders) some students came to me and said that a student was in a locker. Kids can't get in the lockers so I thought they were messing with me. Sure enough, he had gotten in his locker and closed the door. There are vents, so he and I were able to talk through the door. I was suppose to be going to the bathroom before class, so I was a little jumpy myself. He was so cute. I was afraid he would panic until I could get him out, but he and I talked very calmly, as he told me his combination through the vent. he was saying things like, "Boy this was a bad idea" and "How was your night last night" I felt so sorry for him. He said "I can't cry, cause my hand is down by my side, and I can't wipe my noise" I got the door open and he fell into my arms, and said "Man they should build these bigger" and went into class, like nothing had happened.
Boys will be boys..... When Tyler was 12, he was lying in bed one night, tossing a quarter in the air and catching it in his hand. When he missed a catch, the darn thing went right down his throat, choking him! He was gagging and retching, but fortunately, could still breathe. I had to rush him to the hospital at 11:30 on a Sunday night, and they were preparing him for throat surgery (the X-ray showed the quarter caught right near his Adam's apple). Suddenly he sat right up on the gurney and threw up into a kidney basin, quarter and all. We still have that quarter!
Girls are not exempt from these occassional acts of "stupidity" and even worse is they want to keep secrets for each other. I remember picking my daughter up from an at-home daycare...arriving home to hear how another (younger) girl had stuck a red light brite peg up her nose. I thought nothing of it until the next morning when dropping her off. I asked my daycare provider (jokingly) how much trouble she had getting the red peg out of the little girl's nose....I could tell my the expression on her face she knew nothing about it. My daughter grabbed my arm "Mom, that was a SECRET!" A quick tilt of the other little girl's face and we could see the red peg shining brite from her nose!!!
I have a great Halloween story involving my kids. One year Jim brought home Kim lights (sp) These are lights that glow in the dark when broken. The kids used them to hold so they could be seen, plus they were in their bags, to make it easier to see. The boys were about 7 and 8 years old. After the kids went to bed, I found a broken one, so I went to their rooms to see what they knew about it. Both of course did not know how one of them was chewed up. I kissed them good night, and turned out their hallway light that normally stayed on. The hallway was glowing. Green I called my husband and we could not help but laugh. There was a trail from the front door to their bathroom, down the hall straight to Joe's room. I looked, and it was all around his mouth, and on his hands. Talk about being busted. We laughed so hard. It was our own ghost house.
Good story Luanne!
The daycare story reminded me of a little girl who did the same thing with a plastic bead (up her nose). It was nap time, and she sat up crying suddenly, when she realized it wouldn't come out. It took awhile to find out why she was crying, and then to "pick and dig", and finally blow it out!