Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Default Users browsing this forum?

Just a question. When I go to the main page for chit chat, up in the left side there is something that says "users browsing this forum", and there is a name or names next to that. Does that mean that at that moment in time the people listed there are on line and reading chitchat? No more sneaking around this place.

Phyll
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Phyll:

Basically: Yes. When you are in the forum your name will be displayed if you have been active in the forum within the last five minutes.

After five minutes the name will disappear. Our timeout is less than other sites so it may look like a forum is less active when it really isn't. Many other sites base their activity on 60 minutes, so you may see someone's name listed who has been gone for 45 minutes.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
After five minutes the name will disappear. Our timeout is less than other sites so it may look like a forum is less active when it really isn't. Many other sites base their activity on 60 minutes, so you may see someone's name listed who has been gone for 45 minutes.
Gee.. even an old moose can learn something every day (remembering it may be another matter )

Interesting..so.. if someone is on the site more than 5 minutes, their name disappears, but they could still be hanging around.
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Admiral

My name is not thee right now, but I've been here for 1/2 hr. already......

donna
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Donna,
But you were inactive for five minutes and the system and your computer had to update the page.

Your computer also does something called "caching" pages. You have to refresh the page before it will update. It is actually harder to see yourself than someone else because the information of who is on in the forum is sent BEFORE your name is registered. Clear as mud hey?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old October 20th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Also may be worth pointing out that people with broadband might actually be "on" the page but not really using it. It could be reduced down to the task bar, or another application could simply be in use on top of it. With broadband and a reasonably powerful computer, the internet simply becomes another application, and you don't necessarily pay close attention to whether you've closed it out like you tend to do on dialup in order to free up the phone line.

Mike will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in these cases you will still show up as being "on" the board when in fact you're doing something else entirely, or may not even be at the computer.
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

AR:
If you are inactive for five minutes your name will not be shown on the boards. That means that no data activity betweent the server and your system has taken place other than an IP "Keepalive" packet exchange. (I'm here. OK.) If no actual data is exchanged for 60 minutes with with our server your session is completely terminated and you would be logged off.

There are only so many open slots for users. We have many but each one takes up resources so you can't have people just log in and stay there forever for the reason AR stated. You can minmize your browser and leave it for as long as your computer is up if you have broadband (DSL,cable, satellite)

BTW: Certain Administrators are "Hidden".

Take care,
Mike(Who didn't know he was hidden until Lombard told me.)