Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default cruising for the first time on NCL Norwegian Dawn

Hey there just thought I would say I am cruising with my husband for the first time and are very excited. We are cruising on NCL can anyone comment??
Good or bad??
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Congratulations and Bon voyage

I have not sailed the NCL line so I can not comment.
But though I would welcome you here to our growing family of cruising fanatics... Tell us about your self, scuba girl. don't be shy we are all friends here. You will become addicted just like us. It is a wonderful way to see the world and relax.
Just a word... don't over pack.
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

He is 37 and I am 34 we have traveled together the 2 of us for the last 10 years. We travel every year in November in the beginning it was to lessen family strife over where to go on Thanksgiving, but both of our jobs are very slow that time of year. He is a sales manager and travels extensively along the eastern and part of the mid west for work. Flies a lot. I am in sales and work locally. We have traveled to the Caymans for 7 days, Aruba 9 days, California 9 days, Utah 9 days, Bonaire 10 days, Hawaii 10 days, Africa 10days, Maine 6 days, Key Largo 6 days and now our cruise this is our first cruise first time visiting many islands. We decided to try NCL because it is a freestyle cruise and wanted to be flexible. Yes this posting can be additcing and hopefully we will lke cruising... we would like to fo to Antartica, Alaska and a European river cruise after that if we like it.
Looking forward to seeing what cruising is like every aspect of it. We also are interested in cruising to see if any of the islands we like we would like to go back to for a longer period of time. Here is a little aout us someone tell me about them[/code]
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Last month I cruised Alaska on the Norwegian Star and I was very pleased with the ship, the service and the food. The Freestyle concept almost perfectly met the needs of our family. We had little wait for tables and I don't think you will if you don't eat at the peek period around opening to 6:00 PM and 7 - 8 PM for dinner and are willing to share a table.

I also encourage you to try a specialty restaurant at least once. My favorite was the fusion restaurant but Le Bistro is well worth the added charge.

Based on my very limited experiences with Freestyle (2). I feel that many complaints received from people are from those that either are sailing the Hawaiian ships or those that are not used to non-traditional dining. I will admit I went aboard with somewhat low expectations and I left with it being one of the better ship experiences I've had in my last few cruises.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have never been on one of their ships, but I have friends who crusie with them out of Galveston every year and they love it! These people are not very easy to please, so there is something to be said for that!

Have a fabulous time!
11/10/05
Explorer of the Seas 9/19/2004
Rhapsody 9/2003
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are trying NCL too for the first time since the freestyle came along. We sailed them back in 1999 once. Can't wait to try the freestyle - we are going on the SUN out of Houston in Dec. I think you will love cruising expecially since you will have the freestyle. In 18 cruises the main complaint about cruising while on a cruise was from people who normally go to resorts and are very active and they do not like the time on board (not in port) and the dining being restrictive. So I always suggest a cruise with lots of ports (southern route) and the freestyle dining should fit right in line with the resorts. I'd be very interested in what you think when you come back. I've done resorts but I have my feet in the water looking out over the ocean and thinking "I want to be on the ocean not looking at it " and that was the last resort we did. We love to camp in the RV but when traveling we like to cruise. There is something to be said for having my morning coffee overlooking the ocean with nothing around - it is so relaxing and calm.. We are active and love to scuba dive and explore but we need the relaxation of sea days too.... Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

We also are avid scuba divers and are doing diving on 2 of our shore excursion we deceided that we did not want to do it on all of the shore excursions because that is why we are cruising to do different things. If we wanted to scuba dive everyday we would have just traveled to one of the islands. We will be diving in Belize and Roatan.
In Roatan we are diving with reeef sharks( Have you done this debbie?)

This is our first time diving with reef sharks and we are excited. At some other ports we are going to see Mayan Ruins( in cozumel if those poor people are ok) In jamaica a jeep excursion around the island, horseback riding in Caymans and we are staying on the ship on the day they go to their private island so we can have the ship to ourselves!!
I am defintely looking forward to having my morning coffee and breakfast on my balcony in the middle of the ocean it should be awesome!!
Being that we are avid scuba divers we both lova the water be it the ocean(Pacific, Atlantic, ) Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean sea, or local lakes and rivers and are looking forward to seeing the ocean.
Thanks for the info and talk to you late
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Hi Scubagirl and welcome,,,,

I have sailed with NCL several times and to me each time gets better. I love the freedom of "freestyle" dining. My hubby loves the fact that he doesn't HAVE to dress up,,,that is unless I press the issue

Your gonna love cruising,,,,and having a balcony to take it all in just makes it super.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

My favorite places to dive are Cozumel and Cayman.... Cozumel we have dove a dive that we saw sea turtles, 300 lb grouper and reef shark and nurse shark. Great drift diving! That was a great dive! Only 60 feet too! Cayman is great shore diving. I have also shore dove at Cozumel. The ruins may be better somewhere else as the ruins on Cozumel are tiny and the ruins they take you too that are large are in the main land so is a very long tour with a ferry ride back to Cozumel. I was thinking about doing ruins in Belize. We did the SHark Ray Alley Snorkel in Belize to get an idea of the water and had a great time. Still like the water in Cayman and Cozumel - mainly COzumel the best! 110 foot +vis! I'm excited to be going back and hope Wilma leaves some for us! Anyway I have not dove Honduras and really I didnt' like it there so we will stay on the ship that day and have it to ourselves.. Very very poor and the people were less friendly than any other island we have been too and the diving was outrageously high! They also have the kind of sanitation that goes directly in the water and well we just didn't dive there. I know a lot of people like Roatan Honduras but we personally were very unimpressed. As far as rain forest islands go Jamaica and DOminica really are so much nicer. The private island is fun though since it is just that and we have always liked the beach days the best on previous cruises... JMHO.. Love to have your opinion when you get back of diving in HOnduras and Belize. Our first cruise to Belize was on RCL and the only dive offered was the Blue Hole for $150+gear per person and 110 foot dive (at least) and I just wasn't thinking it would be so good - but that is me I like shallower dives where I get more down time and see more and the Blue HOle is a cave that the top has dropped into and you are more or less diving a cave and this is a BIG draw to divers but just not me... Each his own... By the way we dove Sting Ray City in Caymans and it really is unique. We have dove with Rays in Curacao too but Caymans is unique... We have toured Grand Cayman too and it is a beautiful island! Jamiaca is great too - I know a lot of people don't like it but we do - it has it's own flavor to it. By the way if you like coffee try the High Mountain Coffee there - not Blue Mountain that is so expensive but High Mountain - very very good!! Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank travel nut I like your name it is cool.
We also have a balcony on the front of the ship have you ever had one there??? I have heard positive and negative things about having a front balcony?? Too late to change but I do not care we make the best of any vacation!!