Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Default No joke my cat can....

open doors! He has taught himself to jump on the door handles and open the doors! In a way it's funny but on the other hand it is a total nuisance if we like to keep him in a room. My dh said if he manages to open the sliders too he will call the news people
Can your pet do a trick?

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

My pets can not do tricks.
Our neighbor has a Lab who 'talks' it is so cute he says 'mama' 'i love you'
Today I saw on CBS a cat doing tricks. riding a bike, balanced on a ball, walking tight rope. I was almost late for work cause i didn't want to miss it.
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

my cat can open doors we have accordian doors in our pantry and upstairs bathroom and she puts her paw in and works the door until it is wide enough for her to git. She also calls me mommmm when she wants to eat even my husband said the other day it sounded like she said mom.
My dog does high five you hold up your hand and she will do high five she also talks to us not barks but talks I know it is not a big deal but these entertain us
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Admiral

My cat also opens doors. Considering he weighs almost 18 lbs., it's a wonder he can even hold himself up long enough to do it.
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagirl30
My dog does high five you hold up your hand and she will do high five she also talks to us not barks but talks I know it is not a big deal but these entertain us
My beautiful lab Bear (God rest his soul) used to give us a 2 paws high five. When he graduated puppy kindergarten, everyone had to perform a trick for graduation (I know, it's silly). But we taught him the 'high five' and it was a hit.

My lab Moose, I love him dearly , but, he is, uh, well, lets just say he is 'trick challenged' :-) .
Can't Wait Till Mariner of the Seas 6/08
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Admiral

My cat plays "fetch". He would fetch his little spongey ball all day if you could keep up with him. On the other hand, I have a Golden Retriever who doesn't have a clue what to do with a ball, except chew it up!
Go figure!

donna
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Default No Joke, My Cat Can ....

My lovely Bozo, God rest his soul, wanted to play fetch endlessly.

Judy
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:02 AM
Captain

daffy can open the door she gets nasty if i;m late with her dinner she is
a real smart kitty
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kramer can find a pheasant in a prairie grass field when a blue ribbon champion has passed it by three times.

He can also lay next to me for hours when I don't feel good or force me to get up and get moving and not care if I didn't walk very well. He stayed with me when I fell down outside and kept barking until someone came to help me. They may not be tricks but I'm pretty proud of him.

Oh yeah: He also knows how to: Come, sit, stay, heal, retrieve, give, stop and knows left and right hand signals.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Sounds pretty amazing I forgot to mentioned our little dog will wipe her paws on the door mat before she goes in the house All you have to say is "wipe you paws" and she does it. It's so funny.

Mike sounds like you have a true friend

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Ok, I got to tell you this story that happened to me...

I used to work at a vet some many years back. One day I showed up to work to open up and found the alarms going off. Ofcourse I did not enter. I call the cops, call the head doctor and waited in the lot. Five minutes later two police show up. We figured it was a false alarm but he said I'll go in first to make sure. I had the key and there was no sign of a forced entry so I unlocked the door and shut off the alarm. The officer and I were just talking casual, fully expecting to see nothing, when we both at the same time froze as we heard a noise! It was the sound of someone opening a door. We then heard water running. The officer pulled out his gun and said to stay down. So he creeps in, I'm now under the counter, when we hear the door again. He keeps calling out but nobody answers. Again we hear another door. I'm just about to run out, when the door finally opens. The cop is yelling, "freeze, freeze, freeze!" Out comes a great big Great Dane. Wagging his tail as if to say, "hi guys"! The water running was two different faucets. After we had a good laugh and settled down we called the owner. He said, "oh yeah, didn't I tell you, he does that? I trained him to do that. He goes in and out of the house. Turns the water on to get a drink! Sorry, he usually shuts the water back off." We were floored. Now you got to know that this dog got through a kennel gate, then two different kennel doors, then through two heavy fire doors, (lab areas) to get to the lobby. We put him back into the kennel and watched. It was amazing how skilled as he flipped the gate latch back open just as easy as you and I. We had to put two leashes on him, one each way hooked to the fence to keep him in there till we got out to buy a padlock. He was not a happy dog after that.

True story. It made the papers.

Soooo, you cat owners that are opening doors! Beware. Don't set alarms in the house!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We had a cat that would flush the potty. We finally had to put a piece of card board in the thing to keep it from happening. We have dogs now(4) they are my protectors. As you know Jim is gone a lot, and these guys are so protective. When i sit in my favorite chair at night, they sit around me. If I go some where in the house, they have to go too. If Jim is gone for a long time, I have to be i the house when he comes home, or they give him a hard time about coming in the house.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

I told my hubby that if he kept going out of town on sales calls then he would come back to find a BIG dog! Well he stopped going out of town - not a dog person.. haha I finally gave in as I wanted a dog and he a cat and after 14 years we got a cat! She was suppose to be a calm no nonsense cat - small about 9 pounds and had been at the kill shelter for 5 weeks as she dropped her kittens the day after she was there. She was next up on the chopping block and a real bobtail cat so we got her fixed and brought her home. 3 days later I have holy terror cat... She got comfortable and she was a mess!! There is no where my talented baby couldn't and wouldn't jump - no where - above my kitchen counters!! Amazing jumper! Then she decided the scratching post wasn't enough so she decided she liked the big screen tv, the couch, loveseat, speakers, and if you didn't feed her she would open the pantry door jump up on the shelves where the food was (still can't figure out how) and bring out the food. After the first few times she didnt' tear into it just brought it out to you. And forget locking her in the bathroom - no go - 1 minute was all it took for her to get the door open.... Blocked it shut and she tore the wallpaper off the walls... Love the girl but she is NOT a house kitty! I have a big orange male now that can open the pantry but won't - he will sit calmly by his bowl when hungry and just wait for you to notice him - such a gentleman!!! Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We were in Germany, and decided to get a cat. Because of a big dog in the neighborhood, we had to keep the cat in the house. One day, she got out. My husband looked, and looked, and finally came home with this very angry cat. She would not calm down, so after many scratches, he got her into the bedroom and closed the door. I heard him having a terrible time, but didn't know what he was doing. He finally came in the livingroom, and there sat our cat. She has come through the back door. He had trapped a strange cat. I laughed until my sides hurt. He went to the bedroom to let the other cat out, and it hissed at him, stuck her tail up and went proudly out the front door.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne - that is tooo funny!!!!! I can picture that so well!! Everytime my outdoor kitty comes in for a few minutes before we let her back out my orange male will sniff her up and down I guess to make sure who she is and then he promptly smacks her! haha Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM
Admiral

I have friends who have toilet trained their cats. They don't even have to deal with a litter box anymore. Only trouble is, the cats don't flush.

My mom's dog, a Shetland Sheepdog, went through agility training and knows all kinds of tricks. It's really cool to see her go through a tunnel, weave in and out of poles, and go up and down a teeter totter on command. She just has a ball doing it, too.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old October 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Admiral

This isn't exactly an "animal trick" story, but it sure does say something about "animal strength".

When we moved to Indonesia in 1983 we took our three cats with us. We moved into a large furnished house which lacked only one piece of furniture...a china cabinet. So the owner brought in a carpenter who, although he had no idea what it was for, built one for us based on a sketch I provided for him. It was a beautiful piece of workmanship, and it was huge!

The cats were fascinated as the man built this piece from scratch, and watched him constantly. Soon after he finished the cabinet, two of the cats began trying to jump up to the top of it. They could get pretty close to the top, maybe within a foot or so, but couldn't reach it. I thought it was hilarious as they jumped & jumped without success!

The third cat, a 3-year old named "Shadow", would watch the other two but would never try herself. Then one day, as I was sitting at the dining room table, Shadow decided to give it a try. In a single leap, she soared towards her goal and with a flick of her claws on the top she was up there. No running start, just a standing jump from the floor. It was simply amazing!

I say "amazing" because when I measured the height of the cabinet I found that it was 78 inches (6'6") tall. From that day on, whenever the spirit moved her, Shadow would repeat her leap as the other cats looked on in apparent wonder. The other two would give it a try from time to time, but they could never match little Shadow's accomplishment. Has anybody else ever seen a cat jump this high? Just curious.

Jack (who is now petless)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Admiral

I had a lovebird that barked - guess it just imitated the dogs

He did it so well visitors would look behind the cabinet for a dog and all they found was this little bird.

It also cleaned the teeth of our big golden lab and had a go at the dogs inner ears as well. It would curl up in the big dogs paws and just go to sleep - they were the best of friends. This bird had no fear - it would eat out of the dogs dishes when the dogs were eating - too funny.

Pets are amazing - a constant source of happiness!

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jack - my little jumper amazes me - she can clear the 6 foot fence in the back yard at a run and jump it at a stand still I'm sure - probably not clear it though. She is only about 8 pounds too. She watched and watched and watched the squirrels outside when they would jump to the 4 foot banister (no problem) and then though onto the roof from the 4 inch banister... Well to jump from the 4" banister to the roof of the patio well she wasn't too sure. Has to be at a stand still too. When hubby got up there to take the antenas down with Rita HUrricane coming she couldn't resist any longer and did and joined him on the roof to "help" . At least now if I left the gate closed I know she could jump it to the back yard or get on the roof and go over.... I have always been a dog person but these cats are amazing me! I don't know why anyone ever said they were dumb... That was my understanding before I got one.. Debbie