Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Friends

Of all the friends I've ever met,
You're the one I won't forget.
And if I die
Before you do
I'll go to heaven
And wait for you
I'll give the angels
Back their wings
And risk the loss
Of everything
Just to prove
My friendship is true
I'm thankful to have
Family and Friends like you!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:20 AM
Admiral

That was nice Luanne. It's obvious that your are a person with a big heart. So glad you found this site.

Phyll
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Sugar!!! Sugar!!! Sugar!!!!

(Need I say more! )

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:25 AM
Admiral

My then 3 year old once told a friend that my heart was as big as my butt, and it that case, my heart gets bigger and bigger every year.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne - I can't belive you said that about your butt! haha My new mom in law's friend is a teacher and when I tried to start a conversation with her at a get together I said "So have the gas prices effected you at all with the motor home?" (she knows we have an RV too) and she looked at me and said in a yell "IF YOU WORRY ABOUT THE GAS PRICES THEN YOU SHOULDN"T HAVE EVER BOUGHT AN RV!!!!" Well suffice it to say I have better people to talk too - but here is where I need your help. My mother in law said that she is a teacher and all teachers have an air about them and act that way - it is a teacher thing.... Well I'm sorry but the teachers I had growing up were really nice so that doesn't seem true.. Is it true - are you not nice to people and jump down their throat because you are a teacher???? Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Hi Debbie,

Teachers are people. They have the same troubles everyone else has. Being a teacher should not have any effect about the way a person conducts him or herself. This woman you spoke to is a jerk!!!! They do not teach that in school, it is a personality thing. Things have changed so much since we were in school. Teaching use to be a profession that was respected, now it's a job on step below a used car salesman.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 09:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne - thanks for answering. This is a good friend of my mom inlaw but I told her flat out that I don't like her and I have better people to talk too. Now I told her too that does not mean I think she shouldnt' be friends with her it is just that i won't be. I think I should be able to choose my friends too right?? Anyway after all these years I like people around me that are not going to drag me down to their level and I just don't like the lady and how she treats me and thought that you are a teacher and I think from your posts that you are nice so I don't think it is a "teacher thing". Thank you! I like teachers just not her or my sis in law - it is just a job to them - my sis in law didn't even show flash cards to her kids or tutor them at all - why is she a teacher???...

By the way are you coming down for your cruise and when? Who all is going on the cruise with you? We leave before you I think - on Dec. 4... Sure you don't want to change to NCL this time and go with us??? Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM
Admiral

I would love to cruise with you, but because of all the storms, we have cancelled so many cruises, my TA would have a heart attack if we did. We will get to Galveston on the 17th of Dec. I already have plans to meet with one cruisemate and would love for you to join us. We are going to try and have lunch together. When will you be back from your cruise?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'll be back on the 11th. The 17th is Saturday right? That might work - would love to meet you! Where are you going to stay? I'm assuming you are spending the night in Galveston. Are your boys going or just you and hubby? Hope all is well with you - miss talking to you! I've been hanging out on the NCL boards as I'm trying to learn as much as possible since I haven't been on NCL in 6 years before the new management and the freestyle dining is all new as well as their rules - all the lines have a slightly different atmosphere to them and so far I like Carnival over RCL - RCL was very nice but for some reason I felt like "big brother is watching you" the whole time - dont' know why just how we both felt - kind of weird. It will also be a whole new ship to explore for us and our first balcony in 9 years... We are excited! Love to meet up with you in Dec. if ok with you - we'll play it by ear. Do you have a meeting place? Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:10 AM
Admiral

We are staying at the Holiday Inn on the beach. We are staying over night, and cruise the next day. Carole and Johnny are coming over just to meet, and we have not decided where yet. Let's do play it by ear. Tell me about the ships out of Houston. I didn't even know you could get on a ship in Houston, except those taking chickens er countries.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, just wanted to jump in here.
I am also a teacher and have found that as said before. We are people (though our students don't believe this) too. We all have our good and bad days. I would hope that the people I come in contact with, see me as helpful and easy going....I think I have to be teaching 6th graders

I hope you have a wonderful day!!
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Astros Fan - glad to hear from another teacher! This lady is very overbearing and domineering and I don't remember my teachers being that way. Thank you for the input - this was not a bad day for her because when I spoke to my mom in law about it she said that was just the way she was and to get used to it. I think I'll just stay away from her!

Luanne - we'll play by ear but hope it works as I'd love to meet up!

The ships out of the port of houston are only NCL. The NCL Dream is here from Oct-April I think and the NCL Sun is a newer (2002) ship that was suppose to be in NEw Orleans and is here only till Jan. Then they will put her in Miami as two ships from Houston is not that profitable for them. Great prices though since they are trying to fill both ships. Since only 1 ship on Sat. and one on Sun the port is so easy to get in and out of with very little traffic and a lot smaller place to check in. A lot of fun too as you travel the ship channel for a few hours before reaching Galveston and pass barges and freighters and a lot more dolphins.. We got the NCL credit card back in April and had enough points for $500 off so we are trying them again. The freestyle dining should be right up our alley and the aft balcony we just can't wait to see! Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:02 AM
Admiral

It sounds like fun. I will have to try going out of there some time soon. This will be our last cruise until late next year. Jim is leaving in a couple of months. Do you have a favorite place to eat in Galveston?

Astro's Fan You are welcome to join us if you like. I say the more the merrier. I am not a full time teacher, but I know how special some of them are. I have also learned to see a good teacher and great teacher, and a terrible, how in the world did they ever get into a classroom teacher. I have been know to pick my kids teachers and hate when they got a teacher that was not good for them. teaching is a calling. You have to want to put up with so much, and go when you can't and think when you don't have a thought left in your head.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Luanne - you are what teachers were meant to be. To you its a calling - not a job - good going Hon! We need more like you.

I do inschool mentoring through BigBrothers/Big Sisters. The little guy I have had the last two years is a real sweetie - he just had a tough go at home. One afternoon we made a Grinch mask - and he wore it when I took him back to class. He walked into the room - strutting because he was proud - and all the kids laughed at his mask- he really enjoyed it. The teacher - from here on referred to as the "Old Bat' - told him to stop showing off and sit down.

Now this was a little boy who wasn't happy too often - and did not like school at all until I came along - and she said that to him. She rained on one of his few good times. In the two years I have had him - unfortunately he has had the same teacher too - he has learned that reading is fun because we do word games - and math can be fun as well -because we play card games. I won't have him this year because he has progressed so well he doesn't need me any more. Good for him - sad for me. But I will get another one that needs me any day now.

Take care and keep on doing what you are doing - big heart and all (sugarposter )

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Thank you Jennifer, and thank you for being their for those children.

Sugarposter
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

luanne and happy camper just an aside about the teahcer who spoke to you soo rudely...
I come from a large family at each of our family get togethers there is about 130 people and some people are missing.

I use to think years ago that I had to be nice to everyone even people who said annoying things to me and had to put up with it. I am 34 and realized through the help of a confidant that I do not have to talk to all of the people at my family picnics and if I do not like someone or just after so many years did not become connected to them that is ok. I would rather focus my limited time I have at these events talking to family who care about me, I care about and over the years not only have I made the effort to maintain a relationship with them but they in return has also put forth the effort to maintain a relationship with me.

I also realized that I am an adult ( no longer a child) My aunts and uncles ages range from 75 years the oldest to late 40's the youngest.....now and that I deserve the same respect and kindness that they do and if they are not willing to give it to me I would rather not have contact with them and spend time with the ones I enjoy. Life is too short to talk to people you are not interested in and who cannot show you respect. Just because someone is older than you does not mean you do not deserve theri respect.. Hope this helps it has helped lessen the anxiety I feel over attending these family functions..

YOU DESERVE RESPECT AS MUCH AS THIS TEACHER DOES...
I also think it is cool that you told her your true feelings it takes a very brave person to do that !! Take care and thanks for all of the great advice
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

scubagirl - thank you for saying that! I needed it! It is my new mom in law (73 years old) and I try so hard for Dad's sake and I have walked away really hurt by her (let alone her teacher friend) and last time I finally told her I couldn't believe she was talking to me the way she was and I thought it was rude! Well she didn't like that either - Old school I think is "respect your elders" but coming out of New York I learned to respect people that deserve it older or younger. So anyway it has been hard but I'm finally learning that I am who I am and like it or not that is it and I do deserve their respect even though I'm "only" 34 - too me seems so old sometimes! Thanks again!! Self confidence is such a funny thing - with people I am very self confident but with family I'm not - I'm working on it... Why is it that it can be different with family? Is because they expect more or because I do??? Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Wow Debbie, I didn't take it as serious as I should have. I don't have good advice on family. In fact, I had to turn my back on my family to save myself. you've heard me talk about Atlanta, but you never hear me talk about going there. My mother died 3 years ago this Christmas. I had not seen her in years. Before we walked into the place where my mom's family was, my brother had to tell them to not say anything bad about me or I would not stay. I wasn't worried about me, I had my babies with me, and I didn't want them to hear. telling you not to listen, or to just forget about what they say, is something I was never able to do. Even when you love them, they can still hurt... Just take care of you.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne - I guess it is so hard on me this year since in January I finally told my own parents "don't write, don't call and dont' email". I was tired of being hurt repeatedly and I had to draw a line somewhere but that is so very hard to do. I guess I was wanting more from my in laws and my father in law has been like a dad to me since I was 17 and started dating my hubby and he is so very wonderful and his new wife is a great help to him and I am so very thankful for that but I'm not sure how to handle her - I think it is a power play on her part. Long story - love to talk sometime - anyway I guess I am trying too hard and not being myself so it surprised her when I finally told her she was being rude - trust me I could have been so very much more blunt! New Yorker coming out! I was actually very nice when I stood up to her. Anyway it is nice to know I'm not alone with family issues - although I wouldnt' wish them on anyone... THanks for writing and you made me think why this was harder on me than it should be - lots of family issues this year and I think they just go one on top of each other. Can't wait to get away from it all on the cruise - another reason mom in law is mad is that Dad dont' want to go and so we did not invite her separately - we need our time alone and I can not even think about having to deal with her and my cabin is way way off limits!!! Debbie
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Just know that I understand. What does not kill you will make you stronger.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 21st, 2005, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne - Thank you. My computer at home is now in the shop so I will not be around the boards this weekend. Have a great weekend. Debbie