Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2005, 03:17 AM
Admiral

Default Why We Post What we Post

I continue to be fascinated by both the depth of some postings and the passionate entrenched defenses of one's position on a certain topic that I read on the this board everyday.

I think this is both a great strength and a conduit that has allow me to view topics (both cruise and non cruise related) from a different perspective within a "safe" setting

With this new enhanced board that shows how many people view a topic, it amazes me that how a poster "advertises" his/her topic, has a direct correlation to how many view the topic and if they decide to respond % wise

I'm curious (plus it's 2:20 in the morning and I can't sleep, but I do my best thinking and responding to these boards at this hour), what determines which topic you view and whether you decide to respond to the topic (is it because the topic does not interest you or is it because you don't agree with the poster etc)

I'm especially interest in people that don't normally respond to any post (once in a great while I will see a response from a poster who says they have been a member of this board for years but this is their first posting or response)
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:58 AM
Captain

Interesting thoughts, Venice and thought provoking, I think! For some reason, I run in streaks in terms of posting, can't explain why really.

I enjoy reading the boards, and I'm usually here everyday, I keep in touch with a few people behind the scenes now and then.

I also send emails where there is a serious issue, or to give a poster my support without "stirring the pot" so to speak.

I'm quite opinionated but don't think I'm overly aggressive about it but I try to keep myself and personality in check at times.

Thanks for posting your thoughts!
Old October 23rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Good thought provoking topic, Vince.
I can't say i follow all the post. but i will give my opinion, sometimes
I like to keep the post to cruise related subjects and not stir the pot.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Hey Venice:

I know that you're asking for people who don't normally respond and God knows I like to butt in.

For my part, I like familarity & to see people on a daily basis. I buy & sell used equipment so, I don't have a group of people that I work with. This board permits me to interact with a group which, in a sense, I see every day.

Bill
Old October 23rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Venice, you think like I do at 2:30 in the morning when I can't sleep!

Interesting thoughts. I read everything on Chit Chat every single day, and try to get to some of the other boards (Meet on Board, Destinations, Carnival, and Feature Articles), about once a week.
If I have the time, I like to respond to everything. I won't respond if I feel the topic is too "hot" or I'd rather not give my opinion. I certainly like to help someone out with info, prayers, or JMHO.
Basically, I view this board as a welcome place to come and visit friends every day. And I love getting responses to my own posts - it's like when you were a kid and you got mail - how exciting!

donna
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Admiral

I think I could echo what RollerDonna said in her post. That was a good question Venice and made me stop and think about why I post and what I post. I really like checking in on my family here. I don't think I am great at expressing my thoughts in words, but often someone else will write exactly what I wish I had said.

I'm looking forward to reading other's thoughts on this subject.

Phyll
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

The reason I post is because I truely feel like all of you are family, and friends. That also surprises me, bacause this is my first chat forum. When I came here in May, I was very much in need of info. I had booked a cruise without knowing what I was doing. We cruised in less than 2 weeks, and my family after they woke up from the fainting was asking me questions I could not answer. I went through the entire board. getting all the info I could. When I couldn't find an answer I needed, I carefully typed a question. I was shocked to do so, but when I got answers, I was even more shocked. Why would total strangers answer me. I was also getting info from another cruise web site. very much like this one now in format, and they were really rude. They were not warm and friendly. That is why I was so upset when the format changed. I was afraid it would be like the other site. I should have known that it wasn't the look of the site, but the people that belonged here that mattered.
I do stop myself from answering some posts, because I want to keep things nice here, and I walk very carefully on gripes.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Admiral

it amazes me also to see how many "views" a post has had and the "replies".... seems to me if u r going to read a post, u might as well reply.

But, I guess its similar to Ebay... why does "item x" bring a large sale price from "seller x" and then no bids from "seller y" .... I do alot of Ebaying & it really is interesting to see why some get responses & some dont... just like here.l
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
Admiral

The fact is that many more people 'lurk' than actively participate on the boards and there are many reasons for that. It might be because the individual is shy, unsure of the reactions to his/her postings, unable to properly express themselves, (or think they can't), and even fear that somehow by posting they will subject themselves to computer viruses or something else. I try to remember that not only am I replying to the poster, but many other people will see it. While I like to try and do that quite often it turns out that I find myself talking directly to the individual poster. <G> Because of the safety of these boards and the people that we have here it is easy to become relaxed and feel like you are with family and friends and what the heck, I think that is a good thing.
Everyone should know that they are welcome here and it matters not if they are poor, rich, experianced cruisers or someone who has never been, or whatever. Everyone is welcome and is respected here.
Jim
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
Admiral

In respect to the subject of topics, some posters are intentionally (often annoyingly) vague when choosing a topic for their post.

Subjects like:
I am going to.............
It happened!!!
This really Bugs me.
etc.
spring to mind.

I personally don't like wasting my time, because on dial up, each upload is an eternity. The subject area is there for a reason. Please be clear and frank.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008