Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Default Thoughts on Hawaii 2 - Maui Food

Breakfasts came easy for us in Maui. Our package at the Marriott Wailea included the extensive buffet. Served poolside with an ocean view of Lanai and Molokini, fresh pineapple slices , guava /mango juice from fresh fruit, made to order omlettes and anything else you could imagine. Full pot of Kona coffee on the table. Folks paying for this were paying $23.95 +tip per person . Remind me to tell you about the $ 11 bagels at the Grand Walea down the rode.
Lunches were light as we were usually out and about.
Dinners. Sunday we ate at Cheeseburgers (a sister to ChesseBurger in paradise in Lahaina) this one located at the Shops at Wailea.Cheeseburgers with teriaki and grilled pineapple slices. Monday we spoke to the concierge and got some really good advice on restaurants and some with "deals".
We ate Monday at Buzz's Wharf in Maelea Harbor. We had a four course dinner prix fixed at $27. Ordered individually off the menu it would have been double the price. I had Ono, Gram had Mahimahi. Excellent food while watching the boats come in and out of the harbor.
Tuesday we went to Joe's Bar and Grill at the Wailea Tennis Club. 50%
off all entre's before 6:30. Watched the suset over the trees and water, and dined on fish jumbelia and Ahi.
Wednesday we drove to Kihei (near the Walea area border and dined at the Fireside. Prix Fixed at $23 if ordered before sunset, we sat at an open
window and watched the sunset over Lanai. We both had Macadamia nut crusted Mahi.
Thursday we did the Luau at the Walea Marriott. Seaside setting with a great sunset view. Show and food were OK . Old Lahaina Luau still hands down the best Luau in the world. Period.
Friday we headed out early and browsed the shops and galleries of Paiea
Town. Dinner was at Momma's Fish House. Don't let the name fool you . This is the best restaurant in Maui. It is however very expensive (but worth it for a special night).Gram ate the featured Mahi mahi , crusted with macadamia nuts and stuffed with lobster and crab. I ordered Ono but settled for Ahi in lemon butter sauce when they ran out of the Ono.
Get there before sunset to take a few north shore beach photos on the grounds.
Saturday night we were exhausted from an all day excursion to Lanai (more on that later). The local Whalers General Store did great deli sandwiches with all the fixings and we ate them with some local beer , chips and pickles on our "balconey" with a great sunset view.
All of these places can be enjoyed on your night out in Maui but if you have only one night in Maui do one of these three things, 1) Old Lahaina Luau, 2) The Feast at Lele (run by Old Lahaina at it's old location) this is a more formal "gourmet" pacific rim served dinner and show. 3) Warren and Annabelle's, a show in Lahaina Town. An unbelievable majic show preceded by drinks, pupus and entertainment with an unusual twist. Try it, you'll enjoy it.
Oh yes, the $11 bagels. Two table mates at our Luau were eating out cheap by spending $70 each at the Luau. They were staying at the Grand Wailea. A bagel with cream cheese was $ 11. Add coffee and juice and breakfast (juice , coffee, bagel) was over $ 25 each. They started coming to the buffet at the Marriott when they heard it was all you could eat for $23.95. The Whalers Village Deli was full of honeymoon kids who were staying at fancy hotels like Grand Wailea and suffering extreme sticker shock over the food. They were packing in breakfast food, lunch food and dinners to eat in their rooms.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Yeoman

That was my problem when i had to go there to do a big Conference/show. We were supposed to be placed at the Maui Ritz, but since we were just "techs" they placed us with the attendees. People who own condo's there rent them out for this purpose.

Uhmm..of track, sotty... Aznyway, the food in Maui was sub-standard. We had to go to the "village grocery/tourist shop/post office to get our food in order to save money. We did try to go to some cool resturants, but..ALAS..the attendees had them all booked and the nearst place to eat was a $50 cab ride.

So yes, Food their was way over the limit!
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Maui

I had to laugh and nod my head on price comments (loved both your posts, PapaBill). We honeymooned on Maui 17 years ago. Someone had a time share condo that we rented for the week cost $400. It was beautiful, but we soon saw that food was a problem in the pocketbook. We went to a local grocery store and my dh put bread in the shopping cart. I said "oh we don't want that, it's $3". He said " take your pick, they are all $3".

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Papa Bill,

You are so right about Mama's Fish house, it is absolutely the best place for fish on the island, or maybe in the world. I usually go for the Ono there too. Couple years ago we took the kids with us, got them the chicken teri which they wouldn't eat, and that too was the best chicken teriyaki I've ever tasted. Pricey, but so worth it!!!

If you can get around the island there are some good places to eat that are inexpensive, at least by Maui standards. There is a place directly behind the Lahaina Cannery Mall, they serve on paper plates, but you have an ocean view and you get the free entertainment from the Old Lahaina Luau which is right next-door. I'm a big fan of the Cheeseburger chain there as well. The grocery store doesn't save you much, everything is so expensive. Mixed Plate on Kanapaali is all you can eat buffet, kids are free, and food is good.

Maui is my favorite place on earth! It was fun reading your post.

Margie
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Margie, do you refer to Aloha Mixed Plate (next to Old Lahaina Kuau)?
Yes I have eaten there. Do understand that the prices were not an issue for us. I decided to write my Hawaii comments from the point of view of potential cruise travelers and wanted people to understand completely what I might be recommending. I don't usually quote prices in my reviews.
Maui is certainly a lovely place and I would have to say one of our favorate. We have been there 3 times in all. If it was only a bit closer. My old knees do not fair well on 12 hour plane trips.
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFyre
That was my problem when i had to go there to do a big Conference/show. We were supposed to be placed at the Maui Ritz, but since we were just "techs" they placed us with the attendees. People who own condo's there rent them out for this purpose.

Uhmm..of track, sotty... Aznyway, the food in Maui was sub-standard. We had to go to the "village grocery/tourist shop/post office to get our food in order to save money. We did try to go to some cool resturants, but..ALAS..the attendees had them all booked and the nearst place to eat was a $50 cab ride.

So yes, Food their was way over the limit!
In the last 4 years we have spent 2 full months on Maui. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say before that the food there is Sub-Standard. It will cost you, but there are at least 50 places on Maui where the food is anything but sub-standard.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Rich, I would have to agree. Maybe expensive , but definately not substandard. We did not have a bad meal or service anywhere and I do not remeber ever having a bad experience on previous trips.