Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default I am Going to Vent (Warning)

Just heard on the news of the Americans stuck in Cozumel. Blasting the state dept. for leaving them without food and water. I have said before, that I live my life with common sense. Now lets go over what happened to Wilma. She was a storm, and then she was no big deal, then she got stronger, and was reported to be headed to Cozumel. For days we waited on this thing. I knew it was going there. So, these people say, "well I will go there anyway" When the Mexicans started stocking up, the Americans when for a drink, and a few cute girls. When the Mexicans started boarding up, the Americans had a hang over, and decided they needed a drink. now they want to blame their government for being down there without food!!! They need to wake up, and start taking care of themselves, and stop blaming others. Now, somebody tell me they would rather be on a land trip, instead of a cruise.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Admiral

I agree. I heard on the late news last night about Canadians(and US and?Brits) whining about the same thing. At least they are alive, having only 'suffered' a bit through those days.
re:land vs.cruise!
Vent away Luanne!!
Brenda in Vancouver
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Admiral

I am amazed at the number of Americans who think that it is thier government's duty to bail their miserable butts out of any and all situations they find themselves in foreign countries. There is some misbegotten sense of entitlement here that has infected these people. When you leave the USA you have effectively moved out of control of your government. You are subject to the laws, the flaws and the government of the country you visit. While the consulates will give as much assistance as they are allowed and able to give, you are essentially on your own. What did these tourists expect? An invasion force of planes in anticipation of the disaster? What ever happend to personal responsibility? Thank you very much Oprah for helping instill a victim mentality in this country.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Admiral

I agree with all of you. IT IS NOT our Government's fault. IF they could just use a little COMMON SENSE, they would not get in these situations. But, the thing about COMMON SENSE is, it is not very COMMON anymore.
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Luanne--

Venting well taken.

But please note that some people who take land trips as opposed to cruises are able to deal intelligently with unexpected difficulties such as the storm. It's just that you never read or hear about them (or is it us?)

Cheers.
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Well......

If I was on a resort and knew there was a storm coming here is what I would expect:

1/ Hurricane hunter aircraft to veer off course, forget the hell about taking storm readings, divert itself to my location and drop off supplies DURING the storm

2/ Immediately after, I would expect a commando style rescue and be airlifted back to an unaffected urban center

3/ Compensation for pain and suffering for not being rescued soon enough and a list of potential litigants to sue

banker
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Today's mantra seems to be, "Somebody is responsible for my problems, but it sure as hell ain't me!" And it's not just the generation of today...it appears to be inter-generational. Where did all this baloney come from, pray tell? I'm so tired of people who place the blame for their woes on the government, or the church, or anyone else but themselves. Wise up, you cretins! Look in the mirror the next time you want to lay the guilt on somebody.

Jack (guilty as charged)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Admiral

It's God's way of weeding out the stupid people. Now don't everyone get politically correct on me over that, it was a joke but actually with a little truth in it if you think about it. Hurricanes are nothing to be taken lightly and they do kill people! If you can, get the heck out of the way! It is really a very simple concept. If yuou can't get out of the way, stock up on necessities to last you at least a week and find the strongest shelter you can. Rescue workes will get there as fast as they can but for crying out loud, take a little responsibility for yourself and prepare.
Jim
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM
First Mate

I agree with you Luann.

The first thing I thought of is there is a reason this is the off"season in the caribbean, namely it is still hurricane season. How tuned out do you have to be to not know that for the last 2 years that hurricane season has been devistating to the Southeast U.S. and in the caribbean??? These people had to have known that even though their travel in the off season saved them some money, there is some risk involved.

With modern weather satellites and the inability to escape being pounded by media coverage, potentially affected areas get from a few days to a week's notice that a major storm or hurricane is headed their way. I only feel sorry for those too old, sick, or impared that got stuck, like in New Orleans, the rest should try to find a shred of common sense or at least realize they are responsible for their own actions. Maybe they learned something about bargain travel.
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Yeoman

Default I am going to vent (warning)

4,000 people were flown to Cancun last Friday. Did they all live in a cave? Why did the airlines do those flights? Just the bottom line, I guess. Or as that illustrious general said in New Orleans: DON'T GET STUCK ON STUPID! I want that tshirt.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Admiral

I also agree Luanne....great post
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Betty! Order me a shirt too!
Old October 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am going to defend some of the people caught in Cancun, the Mayan Riviera and Cozumel, especially those who were down there before news of the coming hurricane became known. Sad but true, it is virtually impossible to get out by plane in the few days before the storm hits. The flights that are scheduled are almost always full of returning vacationers...the only alternative is to send more planes which the U.S. and Canada did. There are not enough planes to get everyone out, period. Therefore, for those left behind, the best you can do is follow the direction of local authorities and go to shelters. Admittedly, in a poorer country, the conditions will be harsher than one might expect however you will survive.

The problems came in the aftermath, the Mexican government has admitted their response was not good. Combine this with the lawlessness going on and a frightening picture develops. Vacationers are in a foreign country and can't speak the language...naturally they are going to turn to their governments' consulates and embassies for help. The problem is consulates and embassies are not equipped for this kind of situation, the best they can do is coordinate with the local authorities in trying to make sure their nationals are safe.

The bottom line is people should be able to contact their governments' consulates and embassies in time of trouble...that is one main reason why we have consulates and embassies. The problem here is the scope and scale is too big. As for flights arriving in the aftermath to take people home these planes are jockeying for landing times with relief supply flights which are badly needed. For some it will take a little time to get out but, easy for me to say, they are just going to have to patient.

I wouldn't be too hard on people that travel to Florida and/or the Caribbean in the off season...for some it is the only time they can take vacations. If everyone chose not to travel to these destinations at this time of year, the local economies, including Florida's, would immediately tank. For those of us who cruise outside of hurricane season our cruises would be much more expensive if those who cruise during hurricane season didn't bother.
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Captain

More proof that the gene pool needs chlorine.
Magnolia
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

MB you break me up. I want to state again, that I understand that there might not have been enough flights out, but instead of these people stocking up on food, they went drinking. There is no excuse for that, and if that is what you decide to do, then don't whin about the state dept. leaving you with out something to eat. Heck, if I couldn't stock pile anything else, I could find a ton of candy bars and water. How hard is that? When are people going to learn that these storms, any storms are dangerous. They are not to catch the next wave, or go out and smile for the camera with the weather channel. My whole rant was about common sense. They interviewed a woman in Florida, waiting for hours to buy gas after the storm. The news man said, "Why didn't you get gas before the storm?" She said, "I didn't have time" HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!!!! You have time now!!!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Passenger

I heard all the same in Canada. Man. they are a joke. likly the ones you see sitting in strollers at the age of 10 being pampered by mommy.
Many tour operaters planes that were sent in to evac, pre wilma, came back empty are at least not full. Why they didn't want to leave!!, why, As I learned here the Americans were buying drinks. As for the going for a drink, I need one after reading this.