Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Captain

Default Chankanaab National Park

Hopefully this won't get me into the trouble poor Luanne got into but here goes. It appears that Chankanaab will start receiving visitors Dec 15th, 2005. This link will give you an update on the awesome job they are doing reassembling this beautiful place. http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma/fpmc.asp

Sadly it will not be open in time for our Valor 11/27 cruise but alas, some of you will benefit.
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Luanne did not get into trouble. Anyone is welcome to provide news here and anyone that gets their knickers in a bunch can just deal with it. 8)
It is good to hear that they will be able have visitors. I just wonder how long it will be before it is 'back to normal' there. Such a beautiful island to have so much destruction.
Jim
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Passenger

Oh yea sure what are ya a ? T/A , running for mayor of Cozamel. uh
OH your just trying to help out other cruiser, THANKS ,,. I saw that earlier that they were opening too, two weeks to late for us though but would seem they are making it bigger and better. Good news.

ps I just also found saw some other info on the site "SanFransicochronicle" Nov 1 05, I did not no that Carnival owns the dock that was damage the most is Coz. Other " "are 1600 ships a year, $150.000 mil to local economy yr, and 3 million Pass. a year. Alittle fyi
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Too late for me too but that is ok - not even sure my ship will stop at Cozumel.... No worries mate as long as i'm cruising!

Thank you for the post - I was worried about them there at the park. It is a beautiful park that we have visited for years when it looked like it does now when it first got started... Great shore diving. debbie
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I get to go to the park!!!! I get to go to the park!!!!!!!!! We get there on the twentieth.

Honey, don't think for a minute that I got in trouble. Never be afraid to post here. This is an info board. I have some new info too, but have to sort through it first.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Yeoman

Default Chankanaab Park

Luanne, me too, me too! I can't believe we have been to Cozumel so many times and never heard of Chankanaab Park. Then I was looking at different sites this last summer and discovered it. I read everything I could and really got excited to go there. Then came Wilma and I'm sure many people shared my disbelief. Maybe just maybe it will be ready.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Admiral

I booked all this stuff through a travel agency down there, and I can see their building torn apart. I have e-mailed them, and have not heard back. Now I know why they wouldn't charge my credit card until we got there. I am just glad that they are getting back on there feet. I really don't care where we go. After today, I would sail to Fantasy Island if that was the only place to go.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We've been to Cozumel half a dozen times over the years with cruises and this last cruise we finally went and did the dolphin swim there. I always wanted to see the park and so glad I did back in Sept. They don't mention anything about the dolphins?? I hope they can get back to that program, it was so much fun and a huge learning expierence for us all.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Okay, Here's an update on the Park. The dolphins and sea lions are safe in another area. They were moved before the storm hit. The Sea Lion show, and the Dolphin show, will not be ready until about 6 months from now. If you are a diver, you will be interested to know that some of the reefs did survive. The dive boats hope to be ready when the first cruise ship comes to Cozumel. Some of the beaches that we all loved have still not been examined, but all should be ready for the opening.

One of the jokes going around is that there are now more ruins for the tourist to see. I am so glad they have something to laugh about, and are all in good spirits.

This can not be credited to one organization, because I took from each e-mail things I thought you guys would want to see.

Luanne

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Luanne for the update. I'm just hoping the dolphins are OK, no damage to them..

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
Admiral

No No damage to them. They have a place to go for this very reason.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Admiral

We were at the park last April. Had a great time snorkeling and visiting around the park.

Anybody thinking of going for the first time, just take cab. It's about a $10 ride. You go and come back when you feel and cheaper than the cruise excursion. Never a problem for a taxi.

Bill
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Passenger

I hate to threw any thing out lately but , here goes. You guys do your own search so I don't miss quote. I read elsewhere that the place where the dolphins were moved is owned by same company, Dolphin discover ? It is 20 min. away on the mainland and I believe it is open or will be soon? take the ferry to main land 20 min, and a 20 min cab ride to that park. No admision to that park. Thats all i know , hope it helps get someone (perferable a kids) holiday kickstarted?
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Captain

on your last cruise we visited the park and we did the dolphine enconter
i couldn't believe how tame the dolphine are we realey enjoyed ourselfs
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Colton's Dad. I will say it again, we need info on the boards. Please everybody, Don't be afraid to post. This mess had to do with one person. It has been resolved, and life goes on. Also remember, that info you see on here, is not set in stone. Things change, and there is nothing we can do about it, but the information we share, is good for getting an idea, and planning from there.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008