Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:12 AM
Admiral

Default Impact of Technology on Cruising

My son sent me an early Christmas gift..he purchased an i-pod and download the most current cd's of all of the smooth jazz artist that will be on my cruise on the Conquest on 11/13..when I put on my headset the very first track caught me by surprise..it was my almost 2 year old grandson attempting to "sing" (which means he's very close to starting to talk)..he also included a prepaid visa debit card with instructions to only spend it on something that I enjoy on my cruise..God I love that young man..taking him on all those cruises when he was young is now starting to pay off
However it started me thinking how technology has impacted my favorite pre cruise rituals..I love to purchase new music cd's to go along with my 15 year old CD player that I keep packed in my cruise suitcase..now thanks to technology I just download and save lots of space..we can now look at our ship in advance by viewing the webcam...you can "express register, select your spa treatments and pre reserve your shore ...excursions all online...you can use tivo to insure all your favorite tv shows are recorded (no more trying to figure out how to use a VCR)..you carry a portable dvd player with you to watch current movies..you can go online on the ship and read your daily local newspaper..you can use your blackberry and text message to home..and my GF can tell me what clothes to order the internet, which means I no longer have to do that dreadful pre cruise ritual, go shopping with her

what other technological advances have impacted your pre cruise rituals ??
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Admiral

Your son sounds like a sweet guy!

The technological advances you mentioned are all great... the only one that I think has impacted cruising in a negative way is cell phones. It's great to have them in case you need to keep in touch with people if there's an emergency, but I hate being out on deck, enjoying the cruise, and having to listen to the person next to me yak yak yak about aunt Ethel's gallbladder surgery.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
Passenger

Michelle - apparently, Aunt Ethel is much better now
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Venice, the only thing technology has done for me, is to put me in touch with all you wonderful folks at CruiseMates, where I can share my pre-cruise anticipation and my post-cruise depression!

donna
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

ain't teckno great.!
My dh has a PDA which has to be charged up every night.
When it isn't ready he has to wait to put notes, etc in.
I just use a paper & pencil that is my portable computer.
I have to admit I love the advances in music, tv and movies all on cd now.
also, my family can e mail the pictures of their cruise right to my pc.
wow you've come a long way ,baby.
My favorite shows are stored on a computer chip to be copied to a cd when ready.
I like the new cell phones with the bells and whistles,but I never use them. Only use the phone.