Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Fall Colors.....

I watched a show today about New England foliage. I knew from the shots it could not have been taped this year. I soon saw it was from 2003..This year in my area, this season has been very disapointing, no specatcular foliage at all..The colors have been dull, a sad letdown for leaf peepers, coming to spend time here this fall. I am not sure if the western part of the state fared better, I hope so.

How was it in your area, that's IF your area has leaf changes?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
Admiral

We've had lots of rain the past several weeks to make up for the dry spell we had, and I was afraid the colors wouldn't be very good.

I drive over the mountains of Western Maryland every day and the colors are starting to come out lovely! Come on by, I'll supply the beverage!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Here in SE Wisconsin the weather was very weird this year, and the colors were late in coming. We usually have peak color mid October....well, we just passed peak this week and the color was absolutely vivid this year! More scarlets and purples than I remember in a long time. My Dad has lived in this house since 1965 and we have a huge 50+ year old Maple in the front yard and this year the colors on that tree were better than they were in 15 years!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Fall foliage and good pizza on the boardwalk are pretty much the only things I miss about living in the northeast.
Here in Florida the closest we come to fall foliage are the golden raintrees which turn a pinkish, reddish from Sept. to Decemberish.
The oaks don't seem to lose their leaves until after the holidays.
Angela Z.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:19 PM
Yeoman

Default Foliage

Trip, I agree the colors are not vivid this year and it seems only one in ten trees have turned to vivid oranges and yellows. Maybe the many days of rain are the reason. Some have not dropped any leaves in spite of high winds.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Passenger

The colors here this year are simply GORGEOUS! The patchwork of reds and oranges, greens and browns on the bluffs above the Mississippi are simply wonderful. It was a VERY dry summer, so I thought it would be a very dull year, but boy way I proved wrong. We have SO much enjoyed it!

Sorry, Trip, that you got shortchanged this year!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Dull here too. Lots of browns, yellows, not much red and orange. Most trees stayed green with the good weather, then fell off before changing!

donna
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Trip, we haven't faired very well here in western Ma either. Lots of yellows hardly any reds or oranges, lots of leaves on the lawn
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Captain

NE Illinois here and the colors aren't as orange and red this year. Lots of bright yellows, major browns and the leaves fell off alot earlier, all due to the very dry summer, I guess!

I'm driving to my nephew's in Mason City Iowa for Thanksgiving and usually get to see some nice views but I think this year I'll be looking at bare trees!
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Default Fall Colors

I thought the trees were beautiful in Minnesota. Here in CA, the trees are still green, but they don't change til around Decedmber, if you can believe it I am curious about Central CA where I'm going today.

Judy
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi:

It must be a midwest thing, for beautiful fall colors this year. I live in Des Moines, Iowa, and driving to work this morning I couldn't help but notice that the trees were the prettiest I've ever seen them and I've lived here all my life. The sun is out today and we've been having unseasonably warm weather for November. It's been in the 70's, which probably means we'll have snow next week. I don't need to travel anywhere to see better colors than we have right here.

Happy Cruising.....Buddy
Old November 6th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

We don't get fall colors here in the Arizona desert, but if you go up to northern Arizona and time it just right, you can see some beautiful yellows when the aspens turn.